VERY Cheap glasses and specs - made to order.

Options

Comments

• comsense
    comsense Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    Beware of https://www.optical4less.com. I was sent two pairs of rimless glasses by this outfit and each package arived intact but with the lenses broken. The specs had been been placed inside a cheap hard plastic case with just a tiny piece of cloth for cushioning so had rattled around during transit consequently breaking. I photographed the damage and sent the specs back to receive this reply " we have stated in the homepage we are not responsible for the damage during the shipping process.With our sincerity, we would like to offer you a half price discount to re-make it". A real bargain! >:(
    It gets worse. A friend who had been in the optical business commented that the lenses were made of fragile glass which is a practise long abandoned as dangerous. Reputable manufacturers use polycarbonate lenses particularly in rimless and semi rimless designs. If you value your eyesight then avoid Optical4less and use a company with decent trading standards.
    I have had no trouble with https://www.39dollarglasses.com but would recomend paying the extra for varilux if varifocals are required. The last order was delivered within 8 days of ordering on the web whereas Optical4less take 3 weeks.
    Other online online spectacle suppliers that might be worth a look are https://www.ruOK4specs.com and https://www.bargainspecs.com. Would be interesting to see feedback on these.
  • Scouter_Chris
    Options
    I posted a few weeks ago about a firm, Glasses Direct, that fetaured in a number of newspaper articles. (The Times Online article below)

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2095-1441455,00.html

Glasses Direct (https://www.glassesdirect.co.uk) make your prescription glasses for you online, for as little as £15-25 including postage.

I said in my original post a few weeks ago (although it was lost durig the site update) I'd reply when i got the glasses to give some idea of service, etc.

The glasses are perfect - only cost £27 in total, and are worth every penny. The service is great - just enter your presecription online, and select you frames, and there you go.

Hopefuly those that require glasses will benefit in the same way that I have.

Happy Money Saving!!

Chris
  • gatita
    gatita Posts: 1,283 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Chris Thats a great find! I have bookmarked the page for future use. My goodness WHAT a saving thank you very much.
    When man sacrifices the Love of POWER for the Power of Love, there will be peace on earth.
  • Beckipeg
    Options
    I'm no optician, but every time I have a new pair of glasses my eyes are measured in relation to the frame so that the central part of the lens is where my eye looks - I had a pair of old lenses fitted into new frames at a cheapie market stall once and they were never quite right even though the prescription was fine.
    Beckipeg :)
  • skdotcom
    Options
    Beckipeg wrote:
    I'm no optician, but every time I have a new pair of glasses my eyes are measured in relation to the frame so that the central part of the lens is where my eye looks - I had a pair of old lenses fitted into new frames at a cheapie market stall once and they were never quite right even though the prescription was fine.

When you order glasses over the internet they require the measurements of your existing glasses and your pupillary distance (the distance between your pupils). I ordered 2 pairs from optical4less.com and they cost less than £16 each and are perfect! I would highly recommend them.
  • Scouter_Chris
    Options
    I'd recommened that you get a fresh prescription before ordering, and the site tells you exactly how to read the prescription easily.

I agree you should air some degreee of caution, however for a pair of glasses for working around the house, etc., £25 is well worth the gamble if you ask me.

I can honestly say though that I would 101% recommend them to everyone, and i now wear the glasses all of the time when required.

Regards,
    Chris
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    How can you decide what frames to buy online?

I've got a narrow face, and most female frames are too wide for me. I've bought childrens frames before :o I changed my glasses a couple of weeks ago and had to try on umpteen pairs before I found ones that suited me.

When they did arrive instore, the legs were too long and needed adjustments made before they were comfortable.

I have to wear glasses all the time as I can't see very well without them. They are stuck on my face where everyone can see them. I'd rather go to an opticians and pay more but get advice and help on picking a frame that suits me and I feel confident in.

I'd be upset to pay for frames from the net, only to find they look terrible on or don't fit properly, as I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing them which would affect my confidence. It would be like when you have to go out with a big zit on your nose and you are paranoid that everyone is staring at it!
    Here I go again on my own....
  • Trow
    Trow Posts: 2,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    AFAIAA a complaint against glasses direct has been lodged with the GOC (general optical council) because they are going against accepted terms (something along the lines of needing a dispensing opticial on hand)

I believe that to counter this they (glasses direct) have plans to have a high street presence - I am not sure what form this will take.

BTW - the complaint was by a competing chain of opticians - maybe profits are being affected....
  • donna30_2
    Options
    Thanks for this.
    Recived me glasses about a week ago and they are great.
    Only £17.50 inc p+p

Cheers
  • pennyminnow
    Options
    wife went to specsavers and was quoted £253 for bifocal. found glassesdirect.co.uk for £58. just waiting for delivery.
    will update on del.
    :cool2:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family