Sky, Virgin & BT TV Haggle down prices and get serious discounts Article Discussion

Options

Comments

• d40eq6
    d40eq6 Posts: 94 Forumite
    Options
    pirlo_21 wrote: »
    been with sky for 18 months on a 50% off deal, have had the sky sports and hd package , coming to the end so tried to cancel but was told by the lady on the phone that she could not offer me another discount as i'm on one already so have asked her to cancel my deal

its a shame oh well!

Although slightly ridiculous, they won't offer you a new deal until your previous one has physically ended. This is to stop clever folks like us ensuring that we get a continuous discount...
  • Glass_Half_Empty??
    Options
    I am due to have my service stopped on dec 2nd and just rand sky for one last chance to see if they are willing to keep a customer and the man said he will see if there is an offer only if I re-activate my account and then pay for another months service :rofl: I asked him if he thought I was stupid. Problem is, virgin want £41 for XL tv with no sky sports or movies but recieve a free tivo box and hd box for the bedroom. The booklet I have has a picture of tv and a phone for £27.50 but it does not include the price of the phone and there is very small print stating this. Very misleading.
    I think the pair of them take the p1ss with the amount charged and seriously considering none of them in favour for a free sat box.
  • Flyboy152
    Flyboy152 Posts: 17,118 Forumite
    Options
    I am due to have my service stopped on dec 2nd and just rand sky for one last chance to see if they are willing to keep a customer and the man said he will see if there is an offer only if I re-activate my account and then pay for another months service :rofl: I asked him if he thought I was stupid. Problem is, virgin want £41 for XL tv with no sky sports or movies but recieve a free tivo box and hd box for the bedroom. The booklet I have has a picture of tv and a phone for £27.50 but it does not include the price of the phone and there is very small print stating this. Very misleading.
    I think the pair of them take the p1ss with the amount charged and seriously considering none of them in favour for a free sat box.

How much do you pay for your telephone service now?
    The greater danger, for most of us, lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low and achieving our mark
  • Glass_Half_Empty??
    Options
    Flyboy152 wrote: »
    How much do you pay for your telephone service now?

I have to keep my talk talk and broadband another 5 months and as I wont have sky the bill be around £20
  • Whitemonk
    Options
    Flyboy152 wrote: »
    That's an interesting opinion, why would you want to hold on to it?

My V+ box suits me - it records what I want.

If I decide to upgrade to the TiVo, I will be charged £49 plus £3 per month after. They take the V+ box away.

As far as I understand, I cannot swap back to the V+ box afterwards.
  • Flyboy152
    Flyboy152 Posts: 17,118 Forumite
    Options
    Whitemonk wrote: »

If I decide to upgrade to the TiVo, I will be charged £49 plus £3 per month after. They take the V+ box away.

Why would you want it back? I don't see why that should be a deterrent for new customers.
    The greater danger, for most of us, lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low and achieving our mark
  • NateUK
    Options

If you ask for customer relations and tell them you still want to keep your V+ box when ordring TiVo they will do this for you.

Do not bother ever speaking to anyone but the people who you would go to for diconnections (customer relations). They have the power to give you the best deals.

Picture Box is free until Feb 2012 phone and request it on. (not sure which packages of tv its for but i would enquire. I am on XL and got it now until feb).
  • Whitemonk
    Options
    NateUK wrote: »
    If you ask for customer relations and tell them you still want to keep your V+ box when ordring TiVo they will do this for you.

Do not bother ever speaking to anyone but the people who you would go to for diconnections (customer relations). They have the power to give you the best deals.

Picture Box is free until Feb 2012 phone and request it on. (not sure which packages of tv its for but i would enquire. I am on XL and got it now until feb).

I'm confused - I thought that if I went for a TiVo, they swapped out the V+ box and charged me £49 and £3 extra per month. Surely if I kept the V+ box, they would charge extra for that.

I was much younger when I had the original analogue Thomson TiVo and it took me a while to learn to drive it. I can cope with running the SA V+ box and the small HD disciplines me to watch and delete stuff. I'm concerned that the 'Virgin' TiVo is more complicated and hence if I don't get on with it, then I want my V+ box back.
  • money_free_2011
    Options
    I'm confused - I thought that if I went for a TiVo, they swapped out the V+ box and charged me £49 and £3 extra per month. Surely if I kept the V+ box, they would charge extra for that.

They would It would be charged at a mutli room rate which is an extra £5 per month if you had both!
    I AM DEBT FREE 18/6/12
    SAVINGS = £10100
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

I was much younger when I had the original analogue Thomson TiVo and it took me a while to learn to drive it. I can cope with running the SA V+ box and the small HD disciplines me to watch and delete stuff. I'm concerned that the 'Virgin' TiVo is more complicated and hence if I don't get on with it, then I want my V+ box back.

not quite, retentions *should* let you move the box elsewhere in the house and let you have it free if you have already completed the original contract.

If they won't, then disconnect, the loyalty team should call you and they will.

I currently have a V+ and VHD, just done a deal for a 1TB tivo and the V+ is being moved into the other room...at no cost and no monthly fee.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure