Mobile contract dispute

Darklymoon
Darklymoon Posts: 13 Forumite
Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice please?
I signed up for an 18 month contract with vodafone in August 2005, i have paid it every month and i paid a lump sum payment to complete the contract before Christmas. I assumed in doing this that in February when it was finished the contract would be finished and the phone would become pay as you go. but they are still taking payments for my line rental out and when i rang them they said i needed to give 30 days written notice to cancel the contract. I don't see how i can cancel a contract which has already ended?
They said the T&Cs state that you give 30 days written notice to cancel the contract, which i took to mean if i wished to cancel early i would have to write and pay the early cancellation costs.
I have had a new and better contract with T-Mobile since September 2006 and haven't used my vodafone since then. I can't understand why i have to pay for another moths line rental to vodafone (since it takes them 30 days apparently to cancel an account) for a phone i haven't used in 6 months!
Where do i stand? :confused:

D xx

Comments

• I had the same problem with O2, I wanted to cancel a month early and they said I had to pay for the last month. I was in credit so they gave it me free as a gesture of goodwill(after hours one the phone). then I told them I was wanting to stay with them on a PAYG sim, so they sent me a couple of pay as you go sim cards and the PAC Number for my current number. At no point did I write a letter to them, you normally have to do this but they said if I was wanting the number changing over to a PAYG then I didn't need to. Just had to ring up with the PAC Num when it arrived.

hope this helps
  • Darklymoon
    Thanks, but not really :( i don't want anything to do with vodafone anymore since they ripped me off for a good year when i was using the phone.
    When i rang them before Christmas to tell them i wanted to leave and i made a lump sum payment of about £50 i just assumed the contract would be finished and canceled in feb.
    Unfortunately it would seem an 18 month contract only works one way. If i wanted to leave early i would have to pay, which i can understand, but now its over they can keep charging me??
    Surely if i sign and agree to 18 months, i should only pay for 18 months??
  • JAYMARSH2005
    JAYMARSH2005 Posts: 2,718
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I would consider contacting there complaints department, If you paid the remaining contract in full I say they should of realised you wanted to end the contract. If the person you speak to doesnt help then call and try again and see if the next person helps you. If not then ask to speak to a supervisor/manager and tell them the situation and say that you are going to take advice and report this to your local paper and see if they refund you as you have not used the phone.
  • thats right, but they do insist most the time that you give a letter of disconnection, but if you change over to a pay as you go sim with them then the contract will end and you dont have to write a letter. when the sim arrives, activate it then you don't have to use it and you no longer have any charges. I had 2 contracts with O2 and I did this, one of the sims I use, the other one
    I don't and I didn't write any letters and i don't get anymore charges :)
  • Darklymoon
    Ugh PRATS!!!!! Just called them an i still need to give them a months written notice just to transfer to PAYG!!
    So either way i'm gonna get charged another months line rental!
    Idiots idiots iditots IDIOTS!!!!
    :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • JAYMARSH2005
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I think she doesnt' want anything to do with vodafone anymore, and to be honest I cant blame her, there customer service has been shocking this past 12 months, I have had to deal with them on a number of occasions for people like the o.p. I would definately complain to them and like I said in my earlier post just say you are going to local papers and taking legal advice. They usually back down, heres some info for you to get in touch to complain.

Vodafone Ltd
    Correspondence Management
    Post Room, Balliol House
    Banbury
    Oxon OX17 3NS

Call free from a Vodafone phone on 191
    From a landline on 08700 700 191
    Fax 01635 45713
    Email customer.care@vodafone.co.uk
  • what a load of balls! hehe. they seem determined to mess you about. if you paid off the rest of your contract then you shouldn't be tied in at all. I'd ring their complaints dept and mention that you may take it to OFCOM as you had paid off your contract.
  • JAYMARSH2005
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Terms and conditions dont mean jack anymore there are so many ways they can turn and twist things around that no matter what you do companys can twist things around. Stay on there case and give them grief, you will get somebody who just doesnt want the hassle and give in to you in the end Persistance pays off.
  • i agree with jay, i did that with O2 and they paid my last month and gave me credit for all the charges I had from ringing their helpline and being put on hold.
  • Darklymoon
    I know! the guy on the phone said i might be able to claim this months line rental back, but the use of the word might doesn't fill me with sunshine and happiness.
    I'll see what i can get out of them.
    Thing i want to know is, how on earth does it take them 30 days to cancel a contract? Is it a system like the coke machine ad or something!
    *rolls eyes*
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport