12-24 weeks pregnant (part 4)

Options

Comments

• Toots14
    Toots14 Posts: 262 Forumite
    Options
    It runs January to January. I have already taken 12 days and have 15 left to take. To take 27 days before the end of May (not including bank holidays which I get off too) is an awful lot! I'll be bored out my mind.
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    OK, if your allowance is 27 days, then that works out at 2.25 per month. Which means that by the end of May, you will have accrued 11.25 days, so taking 12 days before maternity leave starts sounds about right.

I'm guessing the issue comes from the fact that your holiday year is a calendar one. If you're planning to take more than 6 months, you can't just bolt those 15 days onto the end of your leave.

When is your due date? Is it mid June? Could you have it so that you take 10 days right before your due date, and then officially start maternity leave after that? That way you'll still be off and resting when you need to be, but you should only have 5 days left of holiday to carry over/try to use up if they insist.

I completely understand not wanting to be off for so long before baby! It would drive me nuts too!
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • Gelly123
    Gelly123 Posts: 387 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 February 2016 at 1:14PM
    Options
    Flutter - so sorry to hear about your cat. We've got two fur babies and they are exactly that, our babies so I can't imagine how upset you must be feeling right now.

Euro - agree with you about the levels of service received. Our local hospital has an appalling reputation and we walked away from them and went private after 2 miscarriages as nobody seemed to care at all. We picked a consultant who was part private, part NHS as we knew we couldn't afford to pay for private forever and thankfully, we still get to see her but under a different hospital. It wouldn't be my first choice because of the town it's in BUT the care has been absolutely fantastic so far so we really can't complain.

With so many scans and consultant appts coming up, I thought I'd have to take two lots of time out for each one but the hospital has thought it through and timed the scans and consultant appts within an hour of each other on the same day - woohoo!

Question for you ladies - has anybody talked to you about antenatal classes?

As we fall between two health authorities, our local midwife thinks it would be best if went for private midwife appts to make sure we don't miss out and fall between the cracks.

We are considering NCT but they aren't cheap and as first time parents, we want to take as much info on board as we can.

Still itching here - still not sleeping. The piriton tablets reduce it slightly but not that much - probably by about 10-20%. They gave me some aqueous cream with menthol in but oh my goodness, that stuff makes me so cold when it kicks in! It's like being smothered in Vicks vaporub :rotfl:

Got a private scan booked tonight to find out if it's a blue or a pink one in there - I didn't mind about knowing and was happy to keep it a surprise but HB really wants to know and I don't like to disappoint him. I get to experience so many firsts as I'm carrying baby that it's nice for him to get something he really wants from it too.

Gelly
    x
    Married Sept '09, Me - 38, OH - 40, TTC since Nov '12
    4 previous MC's, 6 babies lost so far :A
    The proudest mummy - July 2016 xxx
  • samtoby
    samtoby Posts: 2,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I totally shouldn't be here but I just wanted to say congrats to Gelly - we were on a thread together sometime back and I just felt warm inside when I came on the forum and saw you had posted in this thread.

(Totally sound like dodgy stalker now)

As you were....
    3 Children - 2004 :heart2: 2014 :heart2: 2017 :heart2:
    Happily Married since 2016
  • Gelly123
    Gelly123 Posts: 387 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 February 2016 at 12:49PM
    Options
    Aaah thank you Samtoby, I remember you from previous threads too. There's lots of names that I recognise from over the last few years as I do tend to read all the pregnancy/TTC threads but don't want to post on them all and be weirdo!

Hope you are well?

I also keep a close eye on the miscarriage thread as I feel I have lots I can share and hopefully help others but I'm starting to take a back seat on that now as I'm concious that being pregnant, I don't want to upset anybody as they're going through a hard enough time as it is.

Thank you for your kind wishes, it's very sweet of you
    x
    Married Sept '09, Me - 38, OH - 40, TTC since Nov '12
    4 previous MC's, 6 babies lost so far :A
    The proudest mummy - July 2016 xxx
  • tatabubbly
    Options
    Gelly, that's so good that your hospital book your appointments together!

Here it's up to me to book antenatal classes, I know they are every Saturday at 11am so I'll probably start them after my 20 week scan so if I miss a week, I've a chance to catch up before D day hopefully!

Best of luck with your scan! Mine is in 9 days and I cannot wait to see and find out if it's a he/she so I can say him or her instead of it!
    094 Sealed pot member! :beer: (7) €185 (8) €138 (9) €€250
    Saving for our first home!
  • euronorris
    Options
    You ladies have just reminded me that I need to get my antenatal classes booked!!
  • LittleMoog
    LittleMoog Posts: 2,392 Forumite
    Options
    Gelly123 wrote: »
    Flutter - so sorry to hear about your cat. We've got two fur babies and they are exactly that, our babies so I can't imagine how upset you must be feeling right now.

Euro - agree with you about the levels of service received. Our local hospital has an appalling reputation and we walked away from them and went private after 2 miscarriages as nobody seemed to care at all. We picked a consultant who was part private, part NHS as we knew we couldn't afford to pay for private forever and thankfully, we still get to see her but under a different hospital. It wouldn't be my first choice because of the town it's in BUT the care has been absolutely fantastic so far so we really can't complain.

With so many scans and consultant appts coming up, I thought I'd have to take two lots of time out for each one but the hospital has thought it through and timed the scans and consultant appts within an hour of each other on the same day - woohoo!

Question for you ladies - has anybody talked to you about antenatal classes?

As we fall between two health authorities, our local midwife thinks it would be best if went for private midwife appts to make sure we don't miss out and fall between the cracks.

We are considering NCT but they aren't cheap and as first time parents, we want to take as much info on board as we can.

Still itching here - still not sleeping. The piriton tablets reduce it slightly but not that much - probably by about 10-20%. They gave me some aqueous cream with menthol in but oh my goodness, that stuff makes me so cold when it kicks in! It's like being smothered in Vicks vaporub :rotfl:

Got a private scan booked tonight to find out if it's a blue or a pink one in there - I didn't mind about knowing and was happy to keep it a surprise but HB really wants to know and I don't like to disappoint him. I get to experience so many firsts as I'm carrying baby that it's nice for him to get something he really wants from it too.

Gelly
    x

I did NCT classes with our first baby, and although the info was useful (more for DH than for me, I'd done a lot of reading!), the main benefit was meeting the other couples - I'm quite shy and not likely to just strike up a friendship with someone at a baby group, so it was nice to meet other people in our situation who were also looking to meet people! We arranged to go to things together when the babies were small, or just to meet for coffee/walks etc. We're still all friends now 3 years on, with lots of second babies on the horizon or already here. This time round we've done a hypnobirthing class, which was less social, but more focussed on the mechanics/hormones of birth and ways to work with your body in labour.
    Little monkey born November 2012:j
    Froglet due March 2016 :D
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,998 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    euronorris wrote: »
    It still astounds me, even now, how much of a difference there is between service levels across the country.

We've been very lucky we are, in that the midwives we have seen have all been great and I haven't had any difficulty in getting appointments at appropriate times etc. My sister was even surprised that I had my 20 week scan at 20 weeks, as she said she had to wait until she was closer to 24 weeks for hers! And she's close to London. A place that most people in the west country are convinced get superior levels of service for everything! lol

The timings of the anomaly scans are partly based on BMI .. they do them later the larger you are because of the extra fat they have to scan through! Mine with Pixie was just over 22 weeks.. I am 20+6 with this one.. with the last 3 I have been called back because they couldn't get the pics they wanted.. with one it was a picture of the whole spine in one picture.. they could get the individual bits but want it all in one go, with another they couldn't get one showing the 4 chambers of the heart and another they couldn't get any decent measurements because she moved every time they tried..

This one has been giving Pixie a kicking this afternoon.. she came for a cuddle and was being prodded.. arguing over me already!!

Apparently I'm 20 weeks today.. thats gone rather fast!! I need to get a few cardies knitted for it.. actually.. I might do one now.. my shoulder and neck have ceased up, I must have slept funny on them.. so anything else is impossible ..

best go prod OH to get missy from school..
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • euronorris
    Options
    I don't think that's the case with my sister, as she is much slimmer than me. She's a size 8-10, and stayed tiny throughout both her pregnancies, with just a very neat and tidy bump. I think her BMI is on the low end of the 20's. Whereas I am a size 14-16 with a BMI of around 29, I think it was at booking in.

There's just such variances between areas with so many things it seems. I was able to get a booking in apt sorted, for a time of my choosing very easily. And was able to get a same day midwife apt on Monday also, whereas I know that it has not been that straightforward for yourself, or for others, on this forum. And in some places it seems you can book online, or self-refer to the midwife team etc.

I wonder if that's down to different processes in different areas, or if some areas are just swamped by a large number of pregnant women and others aren't?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure