Bringing iPad back from Turkey

2»

Comments

• Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I will be taking iPad to Turkey on EasyJet. I have carry on only so understand on the return leg I can't take it in the cabin. Does anyone know the procedure at the airport and how I get to the hold.

Sadly I need it to action some banking transactions whilst away and the apps are uncompatable with my Android phone so have little choice about not taking it.

That was the bit i was replying to,in future i will not bother.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Ganga wrote: »
    That was the bit i was replying to,in future i will not bother.

But you didn't have an iPad to check in.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 17 June 2017 at 8:12AM
    I was on holiday in the Antalya region in May and took my I-pad. A calculated gamble as I needed it for access to work related items and previously would take my laptop away but did not wish to take that chance with the electronics ban being in place. My wife also took a tablet device on holiday.

We were flying Thomas Cook and aware of the electronics ban in hand luggage from the news and sites like MSE. There was also a note on the TC Holidays board in our hotel which explained that these types of items needed to be in checked hold luggage on the return. Unlike Turkish Airlines, Thomas Cook (and Easyjet) have no special arrangements to hand in the devises for special handling.

On departure day we insured both devices were well wrapped and placed in the centre part of our suitcases. We had also taken hard shell suitcases on holiday for extra protection or the items.

The only issue we encountered was at AYT airport when the Thomas Cook rep jumped on the transfer coach when we pulled up outside the terminal and said that electronic devices had to be screens separately as you entered the terminal (as someone else pointed out the X-ray screening of luggage before entering the main terminal is normal in Turkey). Given that our tablets were well packed deep in the middle of our cases, and feeling that this information was wrong, took the chance and left them where they were and proceeded to join the queues for baggage screening. Needless to say no signs in the search area to confirm this TC Reps words, no one else seemed to be screening electronics separately at this first security point and our bags went through unchallenged. I think the Rep was confused and meant the second security point.

Once in the terminal normal checkin followed.

At the next security point electronics (our phones) and liquids, as normal had to be separated for screening.

All passengers on our flight then had additional security screening at the gate. My phone (which I had already turned off) needed to be turned on again.

So, to the OP's question, your I-pad does need to be in checked hold luggage. There is no special handling arrangement in place that I am aware of for any UK carrier flying ex Turkey. I would wrap it well and place in the centre of your case. If easyjet will allow you to check in your hand luggage for free then great, but if you call them they do allow you to buy a checked bag one way. Taking the devises was a risk, one we knew and were happy to take. Our tablets came out undamaged but equally we accepted that if they arrived with a cracked screen or damage then that would be down to us and not the airline.

Travel safe.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Surely the obvious solution is to use a cyber-cafe once there. Or am I missing something?
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I've been on twitter with easyjet and they say Ill have to pay to put a bag in the hold and looking on my booking its £56 and I cant do one way.
    Why can't you do one-way? It's not available online, but it's easily arranged by phone.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 17 June 2017 at 10:01AM
    Surely the obvious solution is to use a cyber-cafe once there. Or am I missing something?
    Its an APP not web based.

Why can you no do the monetary transaction before you go??
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    Neil49 wrote: »
    Now I understand. I use Monzo on my Android phone but I'm on Marshmallow.

I presume you are running Kitkat or earlier which isn't supported.

If it is £56 to check luggage, I think you need Android Lollipop or above for the app you want to use. You could buy an 8" Lollipop tablet from Argos for £45 quid and take it out, do a factory reset to wipe it when leaving and give it to someone there, donate to a school or something and still be better off.

And avoids the risk of far more expensive ipad going walkies from the hold luggage or waiting for bags to unload.
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,214 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It's app based not web (Monzo), hence why I need to take it.
    Can you not schedule transactions to happen on a future date? It would seem to be sensible to do everything possible to avoid taking your ipad.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    martindow wrote: »
    Can you not schedule transactions to happen on a future date? It would seem to be sensible to do everything possible to avoid taking your ipad.

Monzo is a travel money card, I'm guessing OP is going to need access to the app whilst travelling.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure