EE charges

Options
Hi

I joined EE in December and I really wish I hadn't. The data on my package goes extremely quickly...I think it is showing that i have used more than i actually have. I've purchased extra data top up and my bill came through at a shocking price as they also taxed me on this which i knew nothing about. I have a two year contract and have been told i can't cancel without paying around £900 and i can't change tariffs. I've seen much better deals which would give me so much more for around £15 or £20 less a month. I have a serious mental disability and part of my disability is not managing finances or making quick decisions on things like this and then being stuck. I feel so depressed and the customer service agent i spoke to at EE was useless and completely unsympathetic. I know i made a huge mistake going with them but have been told that because I missed the 14 day cancellation period there's nothing I can do and the earliest I can cancel is December 2018! Is there anything else I can do? Please help

Comments

• AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So you had a new phone in December?

What data package did you sign up to? in Mb or Gb

How much are you using ?

Make sure you are connected to WIFI when at home.

Best thing maybe to get a SIM Only deal from Virgin or Plusnet assuming this would be cheaper than the extra EE are charging you? and pay both if that works out cheaper

I'm very surprised EE won't let you increase your package.
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds like you need someone to sit down with you and sort out how to use your phone. You can stop using a lot of data and use an app or (depending on the phone) check the data counter. That's the only way you'd know how much you used within the bundle date to avoid exceeding it. You could buy a cheap phone and switch the sim just to use it for calls - I hardly use any data on any of my contracts.

The "tax" is VAT; unless this is a business contract that is shown in the charges when you take out the contract, but separately on your bills. It should make no difference to what you expect to pay.

You can only cancel by paying upfront for the remainder of the minimum term you agreed to in December; all networks are the same.
  • Frozen_up_north
    Options
    I was told by the staff in an EE high street shop that data was capped, so you couldn't overspend on data, only on calls/texts. However, I wouldn't accept what store staff say, so it might not really be the case.

We regularly see posts on this forum where someone has been sucked into a 2 year contract in order to have a "low cost" shiny new phone... Only to find it works out to be a poor deal a short while later. When will folk learn that the only winners in these phone + SIM packages is the network/shop? If nothing else, the network has a customer for 2 years.
  • Gambler101
    Gambler101 Posts: 580 Forumite
    Options
    Tether where possible, and you can pay I think £5 for an extra GB of data which if used carefully should last a whole month. (Only stream video when tethered)

You can of course sell your shiny phone, and use the proceeds and probably some of your savings to pay off the entire contract early.
    The instructions on the box said 'Requires Windows 7 or better'. So I installed LINUX :D:D
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Gambler101 wrote: »
    Tether where possible, and you can pay I think £5 for an extra GB of data which if used carefully should last a whole month. (Only stream video when tethered)

You can of course sell your shiny phone, and use the proceeds and probably some of your savings to pay off the entire contract early.

Careful on your word usage, "tether" would imply you are using the mobile data from your handset on other connected devices like a tablet or computer.

I think you mean "connect to wifi", which would make more sense (and be good advice).
    ====
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport