Advice on used car buying

Hi all,

I'm currently in the market for a second hand 3 series BMW and I was hoping for some opinions on my options.

I'd prefer a 320D but there is a 318D nearby, which is less powerful and has been in their showroom since August - it also doesn't have heated seats....which is a nice to have but not essential.

Alternatively their is a motor retailer just South of London that mass retail BMW, Mercedes, Audi etc. They have a 320D in stock with heated seats, 20k less miles that car number one and £500 less.

The first car is walking distance from my house where as the second would require a 7 hour commute on trains, or a 5 hour drive.

Would you go further for the better spec and price, or stay local for any warranty issues etc?

Paul
June 2016 - Pair of Brooks Glycerin 14's
July 2016 - Annual family pass to English Heritage
August 2016 - overnight spa break with dinner and breakfast for two
September - BBQ toolbox

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,623 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Stay local if the car is OK.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Stay local if the car is OK.

The car seemed okay on the test drive, it's just the lower price and mileage that is swaying me to consider an expedition to otherside of the UK.
    September - BBQ toolbox
  • fiish
    fiish Posts: 815 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Do consider how much it will cost you to travel there and back, both in time and money.

Also, if a warranty is being offered, being closer to the seller will help if anything goes wrong.
  • lincroft1710
    A further point is that "mass retailers" often won't negotiate on price. As they've had the car for 2 months, your local dealer may take a sensible offer.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • A further point is that "mass retailers" often won't negotiate on price. As they've had the car for 2 months, your local dealer may take a sensible offer.

I was hoping this would be the case, I can see they dropped it by £500 last month and thought they may be keen to get it off plot and freshen up their stock.

It's a car they bought it from a main dealer (I presume part ex) and the dealer didn't sell it on themselves as it doesn't have a full service history.

As they've bought in this way I have no idea how much flexibility they will have in their price.
    September - BBQ toolbox
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    No full service history = avoid, unless your good at diy.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Just a quick update that I avoided the car as the lack of service history was concerning.
    I've seen a used BMW on the forecourt of a local Mazda garage and I'm wondering how open they would be to negotiating, and whether they are keen to shift non own brand motors from their forecourt as quick as possible.
    September - BBQ toolbox
  • lincroft1710
    I've seen a used BMW on the forecourt of a local Mazda garage and I'm wondering how open they would be to negotiating, and whether they are keen to shift non own brand motors from their forecourt as quick as possible.

If it's a sought after model, then even if non-franchise, possibly not. Go and test drive and if you like, see what their reaction is to a sensible offer.
  • Muscle750
    Muscle750 Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    BMW 2.0 diesil destroy engines with snapping timing chains and swirl flap digestion
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure