trade in car involved in crash

HI All, a relative of mine has today been involved in a car accident in a car that she was due to trade in as part of a new car deal next week.
Accident was her fault .
She had been offered £1100 trade in off new car.
What happens now please???
Keep in your thoughts the poor Beasts of burden around the World and curse All who do them harm.

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Depends on how bad it is.

She claims from her insurance and waits for it to be repaired before part exchanging. Or she takes the car as is to the dealership and see what they offer for it now.

Or several other options but again all depending on what state the car is in?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• debtdebt
    debtdebt Posts: 949 Forumite
    She no longer has a car to trade in.

Depends what she wants to do. Personally, I'd wait for the insurance to either repair the car and trade it in then. Alternatively, if its gets written off, hope that she gets £1100.
  • panika
    panika Posts: 149 Forumite
    I would wait, what her insurance will offer.
    Probably she can get more then £1100. She can check on Autotrader how much are worth car like her with similar age and milage and negotiate with insurer.
    I am not sure if she has signed anything with trader who was going to take this car and what is the best way to deal with this.
  • loskie
    loskie Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    it will not take a lot to make a car worth 1100 to be a write off. That would be the best case scenario.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    1 - What make/model/year is the crashed trade-in?
    2 - What make/model/year is the car she was wishing to buy?

I can't see a better option than waiting for the insurance offer, but (dependent upon 1 above) it may not be as much as hoped - for.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • HogMan
    HogMan Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    A few days before I was due to pick up my new car I broke one of the wing mirrors off clipping a wall. I taped it up and took it to the dealership on the appointed day.

When I confessed what I had done to the dealer he wasn't bothered in the slightest. It had no impact on the deal.
  • HogMan wrote: »
    A few days before I was due to pick up my new car I broke one of the wing mirrors off clipping a wall. I taped it up and took it to the dealership on the appointed day.

When I confessed what I had done to the dealer he wasn't bothered in the slightest. It had no impact on the deal.
    Do you not think it might have been a different story if you'd written the thing off rather than just knocking a mirror off.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I don't see how the trade in value can't be used as the cars value.

Usually you need to muck around getting values of other similar cars because there is no definitive value attached to yours and its not possible to retrospectively get one after its written off (you can get one for similar cars, but not your exact car in the condition it was in prior to the accident).

But in this case, there seems to be a proven market value. Worst case scenario, they can appeal via the financial ombudsman.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • caprikid1
    caprikid1 Posts: 2,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post

Usually you need to muck around getting values of other similar cars because there is no definitive value attached to yours and its not possible to retrospectively get one after its written off (you can get one for similar cars, but not your exact car in the condition it was in prior to the accident).

But in this case, there seems to be a proven market value. Worst case scenario, they can appeal via the financial ombudsman.

Of course it may not be the cars value. The trade in is part of a deal not a standalone transaction. Get a huge discount of the cat you are buying then get a poor trade in value.

If you want a realistic value for a car look at ebay sold prices , that is as good as you get Un my opinion.

I've known dealers offer far more as a straight purchase for a car than a trade in. So what was the value ?
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

<nods>

Phone insurance. Explain situation. Agree write-off for £1,100. Phone dealer. Explain that it'll be another £1,100 cash instead of PX.

Job jobbed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport