Reducing Debt - being accountable and taking responsibility

Comments

• Booo to overrated fees, yay to resisting Tupperware- I love the stuff.

Just a note re:the bread bag, make sure your bread is completely cold and, no moisture on it before you put it in the bag, otherwise it doesn't last long and the bag is ruined (yup! Been there, done that!)

Thanks for the bread bag advice - will make sure to do that!

We're currently over run with Tupperware (...why does autocorrect capitalise Tupperware, how odd...) as I defrosted the freezer over the weekend. Gawd, I'm going to have to batch cook and freeze some meals just to clear space :rotfl:
  • Thanks for the bread bag advice - will make sure to do that!

We're currently over run with Tupperware (...why does autocorrect capitalise Tupperware, how odd...) as I defrosted the freezer over the weekend. Gawd, I'm going to have to batch cook and freeze some meals just to clear space :rotfl:

I wonder if actual Tupperware is still a thing in the USA ( where the autocorrect dictionary comes from)
    Wonder what happened to them here, my mum used to love a good Tupperware party.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • I was surprised at how long it took to stop getting charged for OD too.

If you have good sick pay and life assurance through work then you may be ok, as long as you have a decent emergency fund. My experience is that they find a reason to not pay out so I have always preferred to save to cover.
  • Well done on a great start to budgeting.

Re insurance, I am not a fan and we always self insured as there are often so many exclusions. Both me and DH had good sick pay and life cover from work. When we had children we took out mortgage life cover and we never bothered with income protection but saved in a savings account instead which we never touched. We stopped paying in when the mortgage was repaid but there was a nice tidy sum to bolster our early retirement fund and kids university fund.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Well done on a great start to budgeting.

Re insurance, I am not a fan and we always self insured as there are often so many exclusions. Both me and DH had good sick pay and life cover from work. When we had children we took out mortgage life cover and we never bothered with income protection but saved in a savings account instead which we never touched. We stopped paying in when the mortgage was repaid but there was a nice tidy sum to bolster our early retirement fund and kids university fund.

Thanks - this is a really good idea. I may follow suit! Wait for kids and get mortgage life cover and then save save save. DF has insurances but we may change all that when we move.
  • lol! I wonder if there are sistema parties! Will investigate. Or sistema addiction support groups. One will lead to the other with me for sure! :rotfl:
  • DrSpendLittle
    DrSpendLittle Posts: 698 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 11 September 2017 at 5:33PM
    Working at home today so hoping for a NSD. Got homemade soup and bread ready for lunch. Need to send DF out of the butchers for some meat for dinner as he is on cooking duty and we don't have anything in the house.

I spent some time over the weekend thinking about the future - pensions, retirement, mortgage time frames etc etc. I think I've been watching too many Dave Ramsey zoutube clips as he's scared the living daylights out of me re: financial future proofing! :rotfl:

I'm looking into increasing my voluntary contributions to my pension (1% matched) asap, probably in January when I've made a dent in the CC debt and saved a decent EF. The 1% is not much more a month in payment terms but it will lead to a nice little nest egg by the time I retire.

I'm also thinking of adding in more than the 1% once my student loan is paid off (yay!!). I'll have to take some financial advice when I get round to this.

Its interesting how MSEing and focused debt repayment does to you, even after a short time. I'm really beginning to get my head screwed on in regards to saving for the future. I want to retire early so I need to figure out how this will be financially possible. Lots to looking into and plan for. Feels so good to now be in control of my finances and begin to develop short, medium and long term goals as a result.

Have a good MSE week! :money:

DSL :j

p.s how have I not noticed that there are more emojs?!?!? :wave::idea::dance::wall::think::silenced::question: :rotfl:
  • My car payment went out today, so I've updated my signature to reflect this and I can now produce a statement of total debt repayments for September:

September Total Debt Repayments inc. Car Loan: £ 1,121.24

This is made up of the following:
    CC Debt Repayments: £963.33
    'Real' CC Debt Repayments (minus the £100 for kitchen item purchase): £863.33
    Car Payment: £157.91

So, actually, the real September Total Debt Repayments inc. Car Loan stands at £1021.24

Now, I just need to stick to my budget for the rest of the month! That is the real challenge!!

DSL :j
  • Hi, really enjoyed reading your diary, I think you have a similar occupation to my husband with his three degrees and bring paid on last working day of the month-I seriously couldn't believe when we got together he had no idea what day he got paid "it goes in different days each time... But it always goes in" (until the time a few months ago it didn't-for anyone!)
    Anyway, I'm up for a Sistema party-love that stuff but have only managed 3 soup mugs and 2 noodle bowls, I've had good prices from Asda and Wilkinsons, TK's have them but always been dearer for me!
    Being mega nosey.... Was the item a breadmaker? T me to sod off if you like though lol
    :A
  • Kittychick wrote: »
    Hi, really enjoyed reading your diary, I think you have a similar occupation to my husband with his three degrees and bring paid on last working day of the month-I seriously couldn't believe when we got together he had no idea what day he got paid "it goes in different days each time... But it always goes in" (until the time a few months ago it didn't-for anyone!)
    Anyway, I'm up for a Sistema party-love that stuff but have only managed 3 soup mugs and 2 noodle bowls, I've had good prices from Asda and Wilkinsons, TK's have them but always been dearer for me!
    Being mega nosey.... Was the item a breadmaker? T me to sod off if you like though lol
    :A

Hi Kitty Chick, thanks for dropping buy! The kitchen item was a mixer - we've been after one for a wee while now and decided to take the plunge since we were starting to make more homemade bread!

I think most of my Sistema was bought half price in either Sainsbos, TK M4xx or W4itrose. I seriously need to make a tonne of soup so I can put it all back in the freezer as since I defrosted it over the weekend, we have a Sistema outbreak!

Look forward to catching up on your diary soon!

DSL
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport