Plusnet want me to waste yet more time/money

2»

Comments

• jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,397 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Mirandoch wrote: »
    No, I suspect it was Plusnet's fault, given that an Openreach engineer came round to test the line and said it was good. I also (after much complaining) got normal internet some of the time; if it was a faulty line I'd presumably have problems all the time.

You were told on your previous thread that it was more than likely to be a congestion problem as it happened at the same time each evening/night. This is a BT problem and anyone using the BT infrastructure will have this problem no matter who the ISP is. The fact that a BT Openreach engineer tested at a specific time - ie not during the congestion period - seems to prove that theory. If you had moved to someone like BT or EE you would have had exactly the same problem as you would still be on the same infrastructure.
    Mate, they provide a full-time internet service. That's all I ask for.

I agree and so they should as that is what you are paying for. However Sky's infrastructure obviously doesn't have the same congestion problems at your exchange so your problem has gone away.

The main point is that PlusNet could not do anything about your problem as they are stuck with BT's equipment. What did they say when you discussed ending your contract early because of these issues?
  • LazyTyper
    LazyTyper Posts: 372 Forumite
    I should mention as well that Openreach only test that the physical copper is not at fault and they comply with published specification. The tests performed would be the same if the customer is with Sky, TalkTalk or BT, Plusnet etc. Testing for congestion would not form part of this as this is a BT Wholesale or LLU operator issue.

Although Plusnet do use BT Wholesale for wholesale broadband access (the part between the exchange and Plusnet's own equipment), they do operate their own independent core network (they are, after all, a completely separate ISP to BT Retail, albeit being owned by BT Group).

Anyway, reading over this thread, I'm not quite clear as to what the problem with the service actually is. Assuming that there was slowdowns at certain times then this usually points to congestion, and as jem16 has already pointed out, this is out with the direct control of Plusnet, and can take some time to resolve.

Line rental is separate to broadband. I assume your ability to make and receive calls was not affected, so of course you would be liable to pay what you owe.

While it's great that the problems appear to have disappeared since moving to Sky, they are also not without their problems.

As for getting out of the contract or some refund, I suggest going through their complaints procedure. At least that way you won't have to listen to their "godawful" music.
  • Mirandoch
    Mirandoch Posts: 62 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Got a letter from Plusnet today saying I have an outstanding balance of £52. More phoning up and listening to their godawful music, to be told that an email will be sent to the billing team and they'll emal me back to say whether they can waive the fees or not.

Plusnet really is like the company from hell. I just want to be done with this awful company, but at the same time I bitterly, bitterly resent paying them £52 on top of the money I've already paid them for a year's line rental, etc. £10 I'd just pay up tbh, but £50, they can **** off.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure