Funeral Expenses, What happens if person cant pay?

Comments

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    If the person does not qualify for benefits, what do they live off now?

If a Funeral Grant is not possible, the council will make arrangements. However, the paupers funeral described earlier is not accurate, there is the possibility for a small service. I know of several people who have been put to rest in this way (through work).
    Gone ... or have I?
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,609 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 August 2010 at 4:31PM
    What if the person is in a care home and previously lived in a council house and has no money or assets at all? And the family are poor?
    paupers funeral.
    The council do pay. They won't leave dead bodies lying around.
    But it's very basic.

Won't the care home have this information?
    They surely have people dying all the time through the nature of their business.

EDIT: ah I see now. I think this is a hypothetical question and they aren't dead yet.
  • emmell
    emmell Posts: 1,228 Forumite
    You can start paying for a funeral before someone has died, depending how ill or old they are will depend on the payments.
    When my grandad died there were five daughters but only three paid the bill weekly between them.
    ML.
    He who has four and spends five, needs neither purse nor pocket
  • Thanks everyone for your help.

I found out some information about this subject by asking a funeral directors.
    They said the council only pay if there is no family.
    If the person is not insured, or not insured for enough, the funeral directors do it all and then the siblings/family have to pay them back by direct debit weekly or monthly if they cant afford the full amount, until it is all paid up. But I also found out that if you get "Tax Credits" apparently they help towards it as well.
  • I am sorry to hear of your problem, the information that you need is available from the department of work and pensions. They will provide funding to pay for a funeral when there are no available funds from either the estate of the deceased or from living relatives. You do not however have to be a relative to claim for this funding. The wording on the DWP website says that anyone who could reasonably be expected to arrange the funeral can claim for the costs to be paid.

I hope that this helps
  • lisyloo
    and then the siblings/family have to pay them back

I don't think this is legally true.
    I don't think anyone is obliged to pay for someone else's funeral.
    Imagine if you'd been estraged or never met or didn't even know about each other.
    I am certain this is not a legal obligation although in the vast majority of cases family are going to want to pay of course.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    lisyloo wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is obliged to pay for someone else's funeral.

It is the person who organises the funeral who would be ultimately responsible for the bill (with a contract with the undertaker) if there was no other provision (ie nothing in the deceased's estate) to pay for it.
  • lisyloo
    It is the person who organises the funeral who would be ultimately responsible for the bill

Agreed.
    If you ask an undertaker to do work the of course you have to pay.

But if you were an estranged sibling or even never knew you had a sibling (does happen) or were adopted then you cannot be forced to pay. I was jsut clarifying this statement.
    and then the siblings/family have to pay them back

Of course they have to pay the bill if they ordered the services and signed up for it.
    But no-one is obliged to pay for someone else's funeral.
    Of course in 99.9% of cases then family will want to pick up the bill, but there are exceptions.
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    And noone is obliged to arrange someone else's funeral.

So the answer is she doesn't arrange it, and isn't liable
  • When a person dies, can they only be buried/cremated in the borough they live? or does this apply only if the council are paying it? Just wondered?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure