BT Complaints & Escalation

Comments

• nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Idiophreak wrote: »
    They're not children, we don't need to go down the route of positive reinfocement. They're a massive, greedy company that you pay for a service. They get the cheapest workers they can in order to make more profit. They know the effect this has on customer service, they just don't give a rats bottom.

To answer your first point...How should you respond? Tell BT where to shove it and go elsewhere. The sooner *many* more people start doing that, the sooner BT will *have* to accept that they're not a monopoly anymore and they have to start treating their customers with some kind of respect. They're a big greedy company, their pocket is the only place you can hit them that will hurt.

If you'd read my post you would have seen that I had, as you put it, told BT to shove it and had switched to Sky. Without the assistance of the BT rep on this forum I doubt that I would have been refunded the early cancellation charge as the outsourced call centre just fobbed me off with lies.
  • BT_company_representative
    BT_company_representative Posts: 1,861 Organisation Representative
    Hi Sky12,

I'll be able to help you with your complaint. Send me in your details using the link found in my profile and I'll look into this for you.

Thanks

Paddy
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of BT. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • I'm posting on here in the hope that someone from BT can help get this resolved and to alert anyone who's considering keeping some BT services to think again.

Like many, I've had a few issues with BT over the years. Usually it went like this, the annual renewal of line rental came round, I'd consider other providers, ring BT to say I didn't want to extend the evenings and weekend annual contract as I was moving. BT offered a discount and talked me into staying,the Bill came with no/wrong discount, I'd ring up they say they would sort it on the next bill. Next bill wrong etc etc.

Last time around, I took the 12 months line rental saver and they offered me a good deal for broadband, so as I needed a new BB supplier I gave it a try.

The 12 months LRS and broadband contract expired, 14/12/2013. Which brings us to the issue.

When BT announced their latest batch of price increases, I like many who have expressed opinions on here, was dismayed at the hidden 3.50 month increase by charging for both BT privacy and 1571. I decided it was time to move the line rental to the Post Office service (£120 per year).

On 17th Nov I telephoned BT to discuss my account. I explained that I was going to move my line rental provider to the post office (as a result of the new charges) but since I had been happy with the broadband service I had received I would like to keep the BB with BT.
    He started asking about my call usage, to which I again told him I didn't want any call usage, I only wanted broadband from BT and that I didn't want any special offer or discount, I was happy with a 12 months contract at the full price displayed on the website (£16 per month, unlimited broadband).
    He put the order through and the new BB contract started 19th November. On the 20th I added sports.

I was happy with the outcome, I could have got the broadband cheaper by moving it to the post office also, but was happy to pay the extra to keep the service I'd found reliable.
    After I'd sorted this with BT I placed the post office order for the land line and my line rental transferred to them on 4th Dec.
    All good, but then...

Yesterday 14/12 6.20am, I receive an email:
    Subject: Thanks for your BT Order: here's the detail
    Thanks for asking us to change your BT service ...
    Broadband - BT Broadband Option 3
    Your broadband starts on: 14 Dec 2013
    Your broadband contract is for: 12 months starting on 14 Dec 2013
    Your monthly charges
    BT Total Broadband Option 3 £30.60
    Your monthly total £30.60

Some mistake surely: a) I haven't asked BT to change my service b) I discussed and setup a new BB contract just 2 weeks before. c) the price quoted for BB Option 3 is even above the price in the price list. d) It would appear that if you move your line rental provider BT will just increase the cost of your other services the same amount (without warning, while pretending that you have asked them charge you more on a new contract).

I phoned to complain, and have been given what appears to be the usual delaying process of raising an issue. I requested a MAC code which they refused to give me.

I just want BT to honour the contract agreed at the price agreed (which I don't believe is unreasonable to ask). If a BT rep on here could help me by looking into this I would appreciate it, I really do not need the stress and frustration right now. I will report back the outcome.
  • Sky12
    Sky12 Posts: 14
    PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    Thank you Paddy but it seems BT have already decided how to solve the problem - by passing my letter of complaint referred to earlier, sent to Durham, back to the team in the Philippines (I'm getting deja vu...). A woman rang 10 minutes ago rang to apologise (yeah, it's easy to say sorry) and after much explanation and telling them the DD is reinstated and they should now ask my bank for th eoutstanding amount, seemingly can't cope with this (or don't want to) - are BT incapable of doing what other companies do with ease? Instead, I have had to pay via Debit Card with a dire warning to BT that if the money is then taken from the reinstated DD there will be big trouble. The woman can't grasp the reinstated situation, and has insisted on taking all my bank details again to set up a new DD. I give up! Customer service at its absolute worst. BT will induce brain haemmorages in customers at this rate, certainly it pushes the blood pressure up. We are quitting as soon as we can get out of this deal. Thanks for nothing BT. Maybe change the name to Bloody Terrible.
    Hi armistice,

We'll be happy to look into this for you if you send over your details. You can find my contact details by clicking on my profile.

Thanks

Neil
    I am the official company representative of BT. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Steph312
    Steph312 Posts: 127 Forumite
    Hi

I thought you said you would help me with my case BT company representative?
    No help so far just like every other member of staff that work for BT.
    eBay 100 item challenge- 16/100 => £268.95

SW Start date (16/08/13) @ 134.4 lbs & BMI = 25.4
    Goal weight of 126lbs

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Try the executive level complaints dept:

gavin.e.patterson@bt.com
    Hi Steph123,

Sorry this hasn't been picked up. Drop me an email with the details and I'll take a look. Contact details in my profile.

Cheers

David
  • CarlaB_2
    CarlaB_2 Posts: 201 Forumite
    I had been looking at signing up to BT for a while and had been keeping an eye on the deals. At the end of November, while at my boyfriends house, I noticed that the Sainsburys voucher was showing as £100 instead of the usual £25, so I signed up (and took a screen shot of the £100 voucher offer). Once the service had started I filled out the online form to request the voucher but noticed in the T&Cs that there was no £100 deal showing for the date I signed up, unless I was switching from Sky (which I wasn't). I queried it with BT and they confirmed it would be £25, I even told them I had the screen shot, but they wouldn't budge. I feel a bit gypped to be honest. Anyone else had this?

Thanks
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 22 December 2013 at 9:57AM
    If you can prove the offer they now want to renege, then make a formal written complaint and escalate it if unhappy with the reply you get.

The BT rep who comes here gave us incorrect advice over BT not allowing us to leave without penalty over the price increase announcement, and many of us got it resolved by using the executive level complaints dept:

gavin.e.patterson@bt.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport