Reasonnable weekly budget for food?

Options
Hello,

What is a reasonable weekly budget for food for one adult and 2 kids?
Until we resolve our house situation, there is no way I could only provide the maintenance to my ex-partner as I still have to pay for the mortgage, etc.
However, I am trying to work out numbers and how much additional money I should give her.

I am not against giving her more but since we may end up going to court, there is no point me giving her everything and for me to be the one living on white pasta...

Any ideas or pointers will be more than welcome.

Thanks.

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    From my perspective, i always gave more.

It wasnt appreciated, it just became expected.

So I would give the minimum, and spend the extra giving kids a few nice meals when you have them over.

- but i am quite cynical at the minute!
  • Carl31
    Carl31 Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Depending on the age of the kids, £60 is probably about right
  • Jeff.Jones78
    Options
    Thanks guys.

Things are turning to the worst as came back home to find her in bed with her new bf, when we only officially separated last Monday...
    Now things are kicking off as she wants me out of the house and threaten to put social service on me to do so...

Oh joy!
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks guys.

Things are turning to the worst as came back home to find her in bed with her new bf, when we only officially separated last Monday...
    Now things are kicking off as she wants me out of the house and threaten to put social service on me to do so...

Oh joy!

If she does that and it's unjustified you can fight for custody of the children yourself. She can't be slandering you to get your share of the house and have no contact with the children.

You don't have to pay child maintenance if you're paying the mortgage. Whatever you pay towards the mortgage can be considered as a child maintenance payment and she can claim help with other costs such as child tax credits which will pay for the children's food. CTC's pay around £60 per week per child and she's got the child benefit too.

You could give her child maintenance and hope she pays the mortgage with it but she might decide not to pay and you'll have to pay it anyway. She's not entitled to it twice.

Make sure you look after yourself...eat a balanced diet so you've got the energy to fight this.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure