Electric Central Heating (NOT Night Storage)

Comments

• Hi Sam

I've been following the thread as I'm just starting to think about getting rid of my E7 storage heaters and looking at alternative electric heating (gas not in house and also non-sustainable) and worked out the link you wanted:

http://www.cda.org.uk/megab2/build/heatdocs/domestic.htm

I'll hopefully be going for a wet electric system, but am only a day in to beginning research. Currently my E7 is next to useless. I also need to sort insulation, but have an old 1930s bungalow with lath and plaster walls, so cavity insulation is not an option (i don't think) ... will have to post that somewhere else i think ...

anyway, good luck
  • Going for a straight 'on demand' electric wet heating system will be expensive to run. You could try the Gledhill electramate that is a thermal store that heats up at off peak times (subject to an E10 tariff) and distributes it during the peak times. I guess it will work out cheaper (approx 5-6p/kwh), but no idea how well it will work (i.e. if the water store is sufficient supply the rads for long enough).

Alternative, a heat pump based solution will be cheaper to run, although more expensive to buy and dependant of if you have enough ground for a ground source, or enough space to suppress the noise from an air source system.

I've been looking into this for ages, so will try to help if you have any questions.
  • joolski_2
    joolski_2 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Hi there,

Has anyone has any experience of electric underfloor heating, I have no idea of the installation costs or even if even anyone has an idea of the running costs.

I was considering putting underfloor heating throughout my house and having just a gas boiler for hot water. My gas central heating system is rather old and a new combination boiler will not be cheap to install, also the gas bills and boiler cover all adds up!

Any thoughts welcome,

jools.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    joolski wrote: »
    Hi there,

Has anyone has any experience of electric underfloor heating, I have no idea of the installation costs or even if even anyone has an idea of the running costs.

I was considering putting underfloor heating throughout my house and having just a gas boiler for hot water. My gas central heating system is rather old and a new combination boiler will not be cheap to install, also the gas bills and boiler cover all adds up!

Any thoughts welcome,

jools.

With ANY electric heating running on a daytime tariff running costs will be very high, there is no more expensive way of heating.
  • campbellme wrote: »
    The teleswitch which controls the boiler operates on GMT and the meter changes as the clocks go forward and back so operates half the year on GMT and half on BST. This means during the BST period in effect we only get 7 hours at off peak rate and the boiler is switched on for 3 hours at full rate. Just wondered if you have experienced this problem. Thanks Marilyn

Don't know if you have sorted this Marilyn, I think the manufacturers are stuck between a rock and a hard place - if they make it work for some people, others will loose out because each region does off-peak differently.

The table at the bottom of this page gives the times for economy 10 (correct 2004)

http://www.heatandcool.co.uk/13.html

as you can see some regions are GMT others are local clock)

Can you not adjust the times on your boiler (only need to do it twice / year) to match your off peak - if you're gaining the 3 hours back the effort would be well worth it if it is possible!

HTH

MP
    :confused: I have a poll / discussion on Economy 7 / 10 off-peak usage (as a % or total) and ways to improve it but I'm not allowed to link to it so have a look on the gas/elec forum if you would like to vote or discuss.:cool:
  • samtheman1k
    samtheman1k Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    joolski wrote: »
    Hi there,

Any thoughts welcome,

jools.

I expect that the cost of replacing your boiler with a new efficient one will be far cheaper in both the short and long term than laying electric UFH.
  • campbellme wrote: »
    Hope you don't mind me contacting you. I have E10 wet central heating system but found there is a mismatch between the boiler switching times and the meter switching. The teleswitch which controls the boiler operates on GMT and the meter changes as the clocks go forward and back so operates half the year on GMT and half on BST. This means during the BST period in effect we only get 7 hours at off peak rate and the boiler is switched on for 3 hours at full rate. Just wondered if you have experienced this problem. Thanks Marilyn

Hi
    I am going to have wet electric central heating installed by a company in Glasgow. Scottish Power have a tariff called ECONOMY 2000 which gives you 18 hours of off peak electricity. I have this for underfloor heating (Broken) hence the move to wet CH. The tariff cost at the moment is 5.175 pence per unit (If you pay by Direct Debit). Hope this is of interest.
  • jbx wrote: »
    Hi
    I am going to have wet electric central heating installed by a company in Glasgow. Scottish Power have a tariff called ECONOMY 2000 which gives you 18 hours of off peak electricity. I have this for underfloor heating (Broken) hence the move to wet CH. The tariff cost at the moment is 5.175 pence per unit (If you pay by Direct Debit). Hope this is of interest.

is it a thermaflow boiler you are having fitted? - http://www.thermaflowheating.co.uk/
  • I've just moved out on my own for the first time. I have a 3 bedroom house and just moved in yay. I'm worried about the ammount of power the boiler is going to use.

Southern electric Economy 10 prices:-
    Peak 13.86p
    Off Peak 5.985p
    Standing charge 19.857p per day
    You get 5% for paying direct debit

E On
    first 900kWh = 23.49
    Then 10.01p
    you get8.9% online discount, and 6% Direct Debt discount

Taking this in to account I have worked out that i would have to use over 50% of my total power within the off peak times to break even, so it cant be that much cheaper to have economy 7 or 10 can it? also that means I can use the power when I want, like have a bath when I need one.

What percentage of power does the boilder account for, I have alot of computers running, wont things like lights, cooker, kettle, tv added up at the end of the day.

Thank You, just incase im being silly
  • [EMAIL="shorty770561@hotmail.com"]shorty770561@hotmail.com[/EMAIL] I'm in the process of gutting a house which has no gas/oil and totally confused by all the options have been offered ugly storage heaters; gel rads and wet heating; the wet heating seems good but aother plumber has said they're unreliable; have spoken to EDF and their charges are:- E7 starts from 10.00 or 11.00 (dependant on GMT) and only cost 5.21 pence for 7 hours and in the day 19.18 per kw - standard costs are 18.23 for first 225 kw then 12.38. I hope somebody gets this but I'm confused and will be ending up spending nigh on 4,500 grand for a boiler and a system but want to choose the best and most reliable! If you've got a wet system boiler your feedback on reliability (or not!) would be appreciated to help make a decision. Thanks - make sure you put your sun cream on when you're away from the computer!:confused:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure