Electrical goods=2 year minimum warranty?

Hi.

We bought a kettle about 16 months ago, although it wasn't expensive I wonder if I can use the warranty to get it repaired under the Sale of Goods Act.

In most of European Union countries the minimum warranty for ANY electrical good is 2 years, so I can reasonably argue that 2 years is the minimum term during which my kettle should work. If in other countries should it work for 2 years, why not in UK? Can I challengue the seller/manufacturer with these arguments? What do you think?

Comments

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    In most of European Union countries the minimum warranty for ANY electrical good is 2 years, so I can reasonably argue that 2 years is the minimum term during which my kettle should work. If in other countries should it work for 2 years, why not in UK? Can I challengue the seller/manufacturer with these arguments?

No, you can't use such an argument. Manufacturers/ retailers may be obliged to provide such a warranty in other countries.

How much was the kettle?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Just £20, but according to the sales of goods act the product must "be fit for its purpose and be of satisfactory quality". So, if in another countries must be fit for its purpose for 2 years, why not here? I know that advice about the sales of goods act giving by the government website says that we should take into consideration how much it costed. Imagine how stupid: a product manufacturer can guarantee their products for 2 years in EU but in UK only for a year. In fact, the manufacturer's (all of them) take advantage of the ambiguous statement of the sales of goods act, and I really think the government should establish a minimum warranty of 2 years for electrical devies regardless the cost.

My thought about the European law of 2 year warranty is that it wasn't implemented in the UK because it was kind of implicit in the sales of goods act, so they didn't establish 2 year minimum warranty.

How's possible that UK law is less restrictive than European law. So if I can buy the same good for the same price in UK or somewhere else in EU, I should go for the other country. Is this equality? In terms of trade and sales, UK must meet european requirements, isn't it?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    well said knowledgeman ,too many people look for fights when its just not worth the hassle if all you have to worry about is a kettle then things are ok
  • ~I agree with the 2 posters above but it may be worth asking at the shop for a replacement, whether they give you one is another matter
  • gsamsa wrote: »
    In fact, the manufacturer's (all of them) take advantage of the ambiguous statement of the sales of goods act, and I really think the government should establish a minimum warranty of 2 years for electrical devies regardless the cost.

The manufacturer owes you exactly nothing. Manufacturer's warranties are goodwill gestures and there's no legal obligation on the manufacturer to do anything about anything you buy - from a £20 kettle to a £2000 TV.

The Sales of Goods Act applies solely to the retailer - the person that SOLD you the item. You have no contract with the manufacturer.

(Obviously, cases where the manufacturer retails directly to the public are different, but only because in those cases the manufacturer is the retailer.)

This is a real pet peeve for me, since I spend my days getting shouted at by people that don't understand this, and also think that the manufacturer is responsible for whatever lies retailer outlet salespeople tell. If the manufacturer even has a phone number for you to call for help, be nice to them since there's no legal obligation for them to provide you any help at all whatsoever.
  • While you have the right to ask that the product should be repaired and can use the argument that the product should have lasted more than 2 years as it is stated that it does in another EU country. If you were able to prove this you would be able to enforce the EU warranty however I do not feel the time spent is worthwhile.
    Lets not use quidco
  • wibbble wrote: »
    The manufacturer owes you exactly nothing. Manufacturer's warranties are goodwill gestures and there's no legal obligation on the manufacturer to do anything about anything you buy - from a £20 kettle to a £2000 TV.

The Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002
    States that if you make a guarantee then that guarantee is enforceable

15. - (1) Where goods are sold or otherwise supplied to a consumer which are offered with a consumer guarantee, the consumer guarantee takes effect at the time the goods are delivered as a contractual obligation owed by the guarantor under the conditions set out in the guarantee statement and the associated advertising.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2002/20023045.htm Time 23:52 Date16/09/07
    Lets not use quidco
  • Get a grip

Its a cheap kettle, I dont think its unfair to say after 16 months if its faulty then it should be the buyers responsibility to replace/repair

If it was a £500 kettle or tv you may have a case

The price of the kettle is immaterial.
    If manufacturers are allowed to produce stuff that is irrepairable with built in obsolescence then the pollution problems that are affecting the country and the planet will never be dealt with - you just have to look at the stacks of fridges and washing machines at your local authority dump to see that something has to be done.
  • tomthebomb wrote: »
    The price of the kettle is immaterial.
    If manufacturers are allowed to produce stuff that is irrepairable with built in obsolescence then the pollution problems that are affecting the country and the planet will never be dealt with - you just have to look at the stacks of fridges and washing machines at your local authority dump to see that something has to be done.

I completely agree with you. I think at the moment all this expenses aren't taking into consideration when the government makes amendments to Acts like the Sale of Goods, Extended Warranties, etc.
    wibbble wrote: »
    The Sales of Goods Act applies solely to the retailer - the person that SOLD you the item. You have no contract with the manufacturer.

I think you are right, it isn't the manufacturer but the retailer. However, when the product fails tremendously due to a manufacturer's mistake then I think it is liable...Imagine a washing machine which starts a fire...

And your are also right that the manufacturer's warranty is a good will gesture, but I wonder why the good will gestures by the same manufacturer in other EU countries are better than in UK. Hypocrisy, isn't it?
  • Pound
    Pound Posts: 2,784 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    gsamsa wrote: »
    We bought a kettle about 16 months ago, although it wasn't expensive I wonder if I can use the warranty to get it repaired under the Sale of Goods Act.

If the goods did not conform to contract you can ask the retailer for a repair or a replacement. However, after 6 months the onus is on you to prove that the goods were inherently faulty.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure