Tesco Finest British Ham On The Bone -Was £16, Now £8

Options

Comments

• toffeeapple
    Options
    Its like a triangular bone so hard to judge loubyloo, you should be able to feel how close to the surface the bone is! Ones that are soft all the way round will have the most meat on! The harder ones will have more bone! ;)
    A small Thank You can make a BIG difference ;)
  • redfox
    redfox Posts: 15,338 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I got one of these last year and I was disappointed as there was almost more bone than meat! I'd expected a lot more meat for that money.

I find it's best to get a boneless ham joint and cook it yourself, at least that way you know how much meat you are getting, and the boneless ham joints are at some pretty good prices in most supermarkets just now.
  • sinw
    sinw Posts: 7,771 Forumite
    Options
    I had two these last year but no way were they £8, i think £6 or even less.............. £18 is just dreamland price...... Was really nice though.......

pre-packed end isle
    SIMPLES!
  • rebeccaj
    rebeccaj Posts: 1,390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    the price of £16 is another one of Tesco's cons! These were £7 last year with no silly 'usual price of £xx', just a straight £7. But to be honest it wasn't worth even £7 for the amount of decent meat on it. Far too much bone in there and impossible to tell before purchase just how much of it was bone.

I'll not be buying one this year. Once bitten, twice shy Tesco :mad:
  • rebeccaj
    Options
    zenmaster wrote: »
    1.5k cooked ham on the bone (that's a lot of ham!).

but you certainly don't get 1.5k of meat! Most of that is the weight of the bone.

Tesco are master con artists, no mistake!
  • Possession
    Possession Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    Options
    Wasn't this £7 last year and £6 the year before? Think we might need to worry more about hyper-inflation that the collapse of the euro. They were nice though.
  • sinw
    sinw Posts: 7,771 Forumite
    Options
    rebeccaj wrote: »
    the price of £16 is another one of Tesco's cons! These were £7 last year with no silly 'usual price of £xx', just a straight £7. But to be honest it wasn't worth even £7 for the amount of decent meat on it. Far too much bone in there and impossible to tell before purchase just how much of it was bone.

I'll not be buying one this year. Once bitten, twice shy Tesco :mad:

what u gonna buy? any alternative, i lookin for some good ham at a reasonable price for xmas xx
    SIMPLES!
  • Possession
    Possession Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    Options
    sinw wrote: »
    what u gonna buy? any alternative, i lookin for some good ham at a reasonable price for xmas xx

Last weekend I roasted one of the gammon on the bones which are on offer in Tesco. Mine was £15-ish I think, but massive. Just roasted with foil over it, didn't boil. It was gorgeous. I bought another, might do that in the slow cooker.
  • rebeccaj
    Options
    sinw wrote: »

I bought an uncooked Wiltshire Cure ham joint in Tesco yesterday. They are currently reduced from £9.99 a kilo to £4.99 a kilo, and I got one about 1.9 kilos. These are off the bone so that is all meat. It was about £9.50 but I then used the £2 off Christmas ham joints that I had from some Tesco booklet I'd picked up in store at some point so it came to £7.50.

But for that I know I've got a gorgeous ham joint that will be all meat and no waste :)

But they also have lots of other different small and large uncooked ham joints at very good prices at the moment so go have a browse :)
  • rebeccaj
    Options
    Possession wrote: »
    I bought another, might do that in the slow cooker.

I do mine in the slow cooker and they are absolutely scrumptious, the meat is so soft and tender. I'm getting hungry now :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure