Eurostar 2 for 1 promotion

Comments

• I don't really understand what Tim is referring to here. but I am in full support of what he is saying about the demise of Ashford International. My wife and I moved to the East Kent coast (Folkestone) last year and one of the many attractions was the fantastic Eurostar service to Paris. We have had many such trips as it was just a painless three hour door to door service! Out from our home, a short walk to the railway station to catch a 20 minute train journey to Ashford, through security and immigration and more or less straight down to the platform. Hey Presto! into Paris well before lunchtime. Great journey and great prices of £55:00 return for each of us. What now? Yes we still have three Paris services a day, but you try and get those £55:00 return tickets and you will be looking at booking months in advance. Want to travel from Ebbsfleet? Yes fine lots and lots of £59:00 return tickest to both Paris & Brussels for January and beyond but for Ashford because the majority of services have gone to Ebbsfleet, you are stuffed. For those of you that may suggest travelling to Ebbsfleet let me tell that if you drive, it will take just about an hour on a good day. Not that there are many good driving days down here with foreign truckers constantly crashing their HGVs on a fairly regular basis. Oh then there is the rail/bus alternative to Ebbsfleet of over two hours and three changes from station to station. Good luck to those who will benefit from St Pancras but us poor souls in this part of Kent have truly been stiched up by Eurostar and a guttless government who would not stop them from transferring all those services to Ebbsfleet. I spit on them!
  • Good luck to those who will benefit from St Pancras but us poor souls in this part of Kent have truly been stiched up by Eurostar and a guttless government who would not stop them from transferring all those services to Ebbsfleet. I spit on them!

I am working in Brussels from March 2008 and was hoping that I could commute home easily to Dover and also have the family visit me in Brussels over the April school holiday break. We have looked into taking the train/bus to Ebbsfleet from Dover but you need to leave Dover 3 hours before the train leaves from Ebbsfleet, with 2 changes of train and a bus. It's almost worth it taking the train all the way to London then by tube to St Pancras. We've also looked into driving to Ebbsfleet but the car parking over 2 weeks will cost almost as much as 4 Eurostar tickets to Brussels. There is theoretically one train a day from Ashford to Lille which connects with another Eurostar to Brussels but the fare is unavailable over the internet and I have tried unsuccessfully to get a quote for a fare by phone from Eurostar either. It seems that they don't want anyone to take the indirect service as they won't sell us tickets! So what will we be doing.... unfortunately that leaves us with the option of driving the car over the channel which I am not too happy about as I will normally always choose the most environmental form of transport...in this case, Eurostar has lost our custom, and also the custom of many other Kent residents. The irony is that I shall be working at Gare du Midi station where the Eurostar terminates in Brussels.
  • BernadetteN, I was thinking of travelling over by Eurotunnel and parking up at Calais Frethun station and catching a train to Lille to connect with either Paris and beyond or travel to Brussels for our planned northern Europe journeys. What do think, have you contemplated this way or is dodgy leaving ones pride and joy at Calais?
  • Well, friends, do what I am going to do. Give Eurostar a wide berth. They do not deserve my custom. This lousy government is suppose to offer good alternatives to flying, and what do they do? Make it more difficult and expensive for us here, to supplement our friends in the North.
  • BernadetteN, I was thinking of travelling over by Eurotunnel and parking up at Calais Frethun station and catching a train to Lille to connect with either Paris and beyond or travel to Brussels for our planned northern Europe journeys. What do think, have you contemplated this way or is dodgy leaving ones pride and joy at Calais?

I don't think my husband would leave his car unattended in Calais Frethun car park. He would be more likely to take the cheaper route of a ferry as a foot passenger and catch a train from Calais Ville. You can get adult returns from Calais to Brussels for €80.

I was told by Eurostar Call Centre this afternoon that you still cannot buy indirect tickets from Ashford to Brussels due to a computer software hitch (just how many years did they have to prepare for this????) which they have no timetable for fixing. The cheapest indirect fare (sold out already for dates 120 days in advance in April) for an adult return to Brussels is £65 instead of £59 on the direct service from Ebbsfleet which, although there is not too much of a differential, is still unfair for those who live in Kent and Sussex and have lost their direct service to Brussels because it now takes an hour longer and there is only one indirect service available per day. I think it's going to be far harder to get the cheapest tickets on this route because you are effectively taking up a seat on 2 trains instead of 1 so the probablity of the cheapest ticket should drop by 50%.

Anyways, after an afternoon of also pricing ferry fares from Dover to Calais then a train from Calais Ville to Brussels, I have concluded that I am taking a TGV/ French regional train from Brussels to Calais then a footie ticket back home to Dover (total cost £70), whereas the family are going to have to travel to Brussels from Dover by ferry and car because it's now the only way of them getting there for less than £200.

Stuff Eurostar.
  • I have just discovered a way to get around not being able to book Eurostar tickets from the Eurostar website for the Brussels to Ashford indirect service and that is by using SNCF's website. I was quoted £147 return on the phone from Eurostar for Brussels-Ashford during the Easter weekend, yet the SNCF website has quoted me just over £90 return for the same Eurostar trains.

www.voyages-sncf.com
  • I have just been told that I can get a PALS ticket for travel on Eurostar, as an indirect staff perk. Does anyone know how these tickets work (availability of seats at short notice, restrictions) and how much they cost?
  • Melodyx
    Melodyx Posts: 81 Forumite
    I'm still got a problem finding reasonable Eurostar tickets for a weekend (more than a month ahead). I don't want to have to fly but Air France and FlyBe seem to be much cheaper. Does anyone know if it's cheaper to buy a ticket to Paris from where you live (if you live in the South, which I do?) rather than just from London, and which really is the cheapest way to do it? Still via the Eurostar Spain site?
  • piblet
    piblet Posts: 19 Forumite
    I hope this hasn't been posted elsewhere (I did have a quick look: sorry if I missed it). Anyway, the Eurostar/Bluewater 2-for-1 promotion is back.

Just visit http://www.eurostar.com/2for1

You need to go shopping in Bluewater and show the people in the Eurostar shop your receipt. You then get a 2-for-1 voucher for travel from Ebbsefleet or Ashford Intl.

Hope this helps someone save some money.
  • rdj104
    rdj104 Posts: 95 Forumite
    A password for the Bluewater Eurostar 2 for 1 booking offer shown above is Paris.

Hope This Helps!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport