No blame accient driver gone awol

Options
I'll try and keep this as brief as possible.

I got hit from behind in my car when I was stationary at a roundabout, pulled over and took the drivers details.

The claim was processed and I was injured as a result and made a claim. The claim took 18 months to resolve, during that period I had to renew my car insurance and as the claim wasn't settled at the time they increased my premium by £100 saying it may end up that it was my fault, ludicrous I know but I understand they have protocols to follow.

The other party's insurers couldn't get in touch with the other driver and they eventually gave up after sending out investigators etc. over the 18 month period. Basically he just avoided then like the plague, I do think that he said he was the insured driver at the time of the accident but I now doubt he really was.

My question is this, now the other party has agreed to settle the personal injury claim on a 'without prejudice' basis will my insurers refund me the additional premium as the claim is now settled and will this go against me as a fault claim in the future?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    It won't be a fault claim if your insurer gets reimbursed. So will be a no fault claim

Assuming you stayed with the insurer at renewal then you should get a premium adjustment as well as any lost Ncd reinstated
  • OnanTheBarbarian
    Options
    You need to inform your insurer that your PI claim has been settled so your insurers can make an approach to the third party insurers for their outlay to be reimbursed.

Insurers are incredibly lazy when it comes to recovering their outlays
  • dstill
    dstill Posts: 97 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry, i should have explained the insurance bit more clearly.

The car I was driving at the time of the accident was my partners car which i'm insured on. My solicitor has dealt with the personal injury side of things, the other parties insurers have settled on a without prejudice basis (paying out for personal injury) as they couldn't get him to respond to anything.

Therefore i don't think my partners insurers have done much, its all a bit confusing!

Am I being sensible thinking that as the other parties insurers have paid out for the personal injury this case would be considered not my fault?
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Who paid for your partner's repairs?

If no claim was made/partner paid for repairs/third party insurer paid for partner's repairs in full then this is a no fault claim
  • dstill
    Options
    Hi Quentin, i'm assuming my partners insurers paid for the damage as she had to stump up the excess to them. However, i haven't directly asked my partners insurers this question.
  • dstill
    Options
    I've eventually discovered that my partners insurers settled the claim on a 50/50 basis. They said they had to as they never were able to track down the other driver to discuss it with him and he denied that he was ever involved in the accident. I still find this astounding given that they know I was sat stationary and he drove into the back of me!!

I'm now wondering where i can go with this as i don't want to be penalised for something that is clearly not my fault when i renew my insurance. I know i'm up against it here but wondered if there is absolutely anything i can do and where i can seek any advice on this.
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    dstill wrote: »
    I've eventually discovered that my partners insurers settled the claim on a 50/50 basis. They said they had to as they never were able to track down the other driver to discuss it with him and he denied that he was ever involved in the accident. I still find this astounding given that they know I was sat stationary and he drove into the back of me!!

I'm now wondering where i can go with this as i don't want to be penalised for something that is clearly not my fault when i renew my insurance. I know i'm up against it here but wondered if there is absolutely anything i can do and where i can seek any advice on this.

Financial Ombudsman. Don't get your hopes up though. They sided with my father's insurers when he was scammed by a driver who invented an accident and gave a different version of events every week.

50/50 is a good result for a case like this as insurers usually record a fault claim when they cannot recover their costs, even if their client is completely innocent.

There might be something for victims of uninsured drivers, but it would be a long shot as you can't prove that the other driver wasn't insured.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure