At Breaking Point - Why wont he grow up and stop spending?!

Options

Comments

• NHS_worker_bee
    Options
    I think the trouble is, I try really hard to be respectful to him and let him do things his way as head of the household, and I always hope that he will change and make the efforts when he says he will. But his words are empty, and he lets me down on every promise he makes to me about paying things off and sorting himself out.

It seems like it is you who is the head of the household countrygirl, as you are the one dealing with all the financial responsibility and stress. Although you are undoubtedly frugal and trying to do the best for your family, I found a SOA useful for me because it highlighted just how much I was spending on debt repayments (and if you're only making the minimum repayments, you won't be clearing the CC debt).

Having to change your PIN isn't a good sign. I'm sorry to hear about the whole situation, it must be very difficult. I think you will find the people on this forum can offer you constructive advice and support you as you deal with the debts. Dealing with your husband's communication issues sounds like another challenge altogether. Chin up, you've taken the first step :)
    Total debt March 2014: £11,194. Now £4,198.
    0% CC1: [STRIKE]£2,240[/STRIKE] £0. 0% CC2: [STRIKE]£1,934[/STRIKE] £0.
    0% CC3: £0 0% CC4: £4,198.
    12.9% Loan: [STRIKE]£3,000[/STRIKE] £0
    14.9% HP: [STRIKE]£1,103[/STRIKE] £0
  • countrygirl1
    Options
    Thank you NHS workerbee,

I am going to put together my SOA now and see what I get. I'll also do the snowball calculator, but I am nervous about the results!!! Perhaps though, him seeing the accounts in black and white will help him see the gravity of what he is doing.

I will definitely post the SOA on here, everyone has been so lovely. I kind of don't feel alone any more, and it's nice not to feel judged. Tried to talk with my dad about it earlier and he just said I was stupid!
    Won a bottle of cava in a raffle once....that's where my luck ended!
  • countrygirl1
    Options
    Yes, NHS worker bee, I even spent a few £100 pounds on a counsellor who tried to get him to work on his communication but he didn't want to make the effort! Could have saved myself the money there, lol!
  • tallyhoh
    tallyhoh Posts: 2,305 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 2 April 2014 at 5:10PM
    Options
    I always hoped my partner would wake up & change but is been 30 years now, he's actually been in debt since 1974 to my knowledge.

Its not cars with him, the latest thing was camera's, £40,000 in 2 years on them & other stuff to make him look like a professional photographer (he's not, his pics are rubbish)

Before that it was boats, £100,000 in debt on a dinghy etc. Before that it was starting his own business as a (laugh) financial adviser, he spent days choosing the colour of his phones & printing business cards although he knows nothing about the business.

Its all designed to make him look good to other people while someone else pays for the more mundane things like rent & food.

Hope I'm wrong but I don't think you will be able to change him.

Try talking to him but in the mean time I would be taking steps to protect myself (I did), hide your cards & keep a sharp eye on you credit file for any unknown entries, you can do this free with Noddle.
    Tallyhoh! Stopped Smoking October 2000. Saved £29382.50 so far!
  • lizzy23
    lizzy23 Posts: 193 Forumite
    Options
    Hi sounds like you're in a bit of a mess, i actually think a bit of tough love is probably in order now, you may not be able to change his ways but you can cut off his access to credit , i would suggest you contact Step change and see about a DMP by my quick adding up you are responsible for 28k's worth of debt on a part time wage, to me that's not sustainable
    LBM 2 and the OH is onboard sept 12, DMP will start on the 1st November, DFD who cares as longs as it comes:)
    1 year down 5 to go and now under 30k and 10% paid off :beer:
  • Ashingtonian
    Ashingtonian Posts: 137 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Dump him, he will never change. It's as simply as that really.
    Current MFD 1st July 2026

Target MFD 1st April 2023
  • Blackpool_Saver
    Blackpool_Saver Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Options
    He is playing you like a violin....get rid
    Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

• countrygirl1
    Options
    Hi tallyhoh,

Thank you so much for sharing your personal experience with me, it sounds like you've been through hell and back. (Though I love your sarcastic and witty take on him!)

I will be signing up to noddle and definitely putting things into place to really separate our finances and try to protect myself.
  • countrygirl1
    Options
    Hi lizzy23,

Thanks for your reply...what is a DMP? It's definitely time for tough love!
  • countrygirl1
    Options
    Hi Ashingtonian and Blackpool_saver,

Thanks for your input but of course life is never that simple. I would like to save my marriage if I can and I have my daughter to think about. Can't give up yet...but yes, things will have to change or I'll have to think about kicking him out - at least the house is in my name only I suppose!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure