Job seekers allowance and children?

Hi my other half is currently jobless at the moment im recieving child tax credit and child benefit, anyway the thing is i thought we would get by whilst he found work but this is taking longer than expected so he has put in a claim for job seekers allowance now i dont think it will be contribution based as his employer that he worked for for 9 years didnt pay his tax and national insurance even though it was getting took of my partners wage Grrrr anyway we are trying to sort this out but what i wanted to know is how much about will we be entitled to, i need to start budgeting but cant really do this until i know around how much we will be getting, i have had a look at the jobseekers site and according to this i will be getting £42.27 a child and £87.30 for a couple per week now on tallying this up that is £213 per week now i already get something like £104 per week child tax credit so surely this cant be right it seems way to much £317 per week sounds nice dont get me wrong lol but thats way more than what we got when he worked so i cant see this being right? so how is this worked out will they minus my child tax from this? i just need some rough idea so i can work out what i will need to budget on instead of waiting to see what i will get and end up in the sh*t, i have 3 children by the way
Sairz xx
:AEleventh Heaven No.3 :A

Comments

• babysaver
    babysaver Posts: 119 Forumite
    Hi sairz - as far as I know, the rules changed for claiming for chilldren a while ago - I think you'll get the couples allowance plus the tax credit but not the child allowances of £42.27. You might be entitled to more tax credit though - might be worth checking out their website. Probably best to speak to someone at Benefits Agency or CAB to check
  • Hi,
    We have 3 kids and we get the JSA amount for a couple per week (£87.30) and get CTC of £106.75 a week. So you might get a little extra tax credit to what you get now.
    HTH
  • sairz
    sairz Posts: 484 Forumite
    Thanks babysaver and ravenlooney, hopefully i will be able to work things out a little better now i know where abouts i will be standing, thanks again,:)
    sairzfairy2.jpg
    Sairz xx
    :AEleventh Heaven No.3 :A
  • I am 35 years old with one child(lone parent) and need some info on my entitlements,I did a benefits calculator on entitledto web site that said i would recieve Child tax credit(£46pw)and child benifit(£18pw) and Income support/Job seekers allowance to the value of £59 pw,Is anyone else in this situation that can confirm that £123pw is all they give you to live on as that seems low ,I thought the goverment set a min income threshold of like 212pw that you need to survive on with children and any less is living in poverty

Thankyou
  • Hapless_2
    Hapless_2 Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    allan1972 wrote: »
    I am 35 years old with one child(lone parent) and need some info on my entitlements,I did a benefits calculator on entitledto web site that said i would recieve Child tax credit(£46pw)and child benifit(£18pw) and Income support/Job seekers allowance to the value of £59 pw,Is anyone else in this situation that can confirm that £123pw is all they give you to live on as that seems low ,I thought the goverment set a min income threshold of like 212pw that you need to survive on with children and any less is living in poverty

Thankyou
    I assume that the £212 includes living expenses so would be covered by housing benefit and council tax benefit. Usually they take the child benefit off as other income too I believe. I know they do on Income support.
    The "Bloodlust" Clique - Morally equal to all. Member 10
    grocery challenge...Budget £420

Wk 1 £27.10
    Wk 2 £78.06
    Wk 3 £163.06
    Wk 4
  • hi can i claim job seekers after been self employed and i am currently pregnant so would i get maternity allowance if i am on job seekers?
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    ndolloway wrote: »
    hi can i claim job seekers after been self employed and i am currently pregnant so would i get maternity allowance if i am on job seekers?

Were you previously employed and do you live with someone who works?
  • pink87
    pink87 Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 12 October 2011 at 12:12AM
    my other half is forced to quit his job to look after his mum because she just undergone a major brain operation recently.our problem is we have an 8months old baby and she is leaving with us.she can't do anything at all and I can't cope to look after her and my baby.so my husband had to quit his job.we don't know what benefits my husband is entitled to.last week he applied for carer's allowance. is there any benefits he could have to helps us.we have mortgage to pay and we don't know how long we can hold on.
    We received 20GBP pw child benefit and 41GBP a month for tax credit.advices are much appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure