PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking A Gammon Joint in the Slow Cooker

Comments

• gravitytolls
    gravitytolls Posts: 13,558 Forumite
    I generally boil my ham at least twice, rinsing in between, to remove excess salt, do I still need to do this before cooking in the SC?

Love the idea of apple juice n honey. Yum.
    I ave a dodgy H, so sometimes I will sound dead common, on occasion dead stupid and rarely, pig ignorant. Sometimes I may be these things, but I will always blame it on my dodgy H.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a grumble weed today, no offence intended ... well it might be, but I'll be sorry.
  • This will be my first attempt at cooking a gammon joint in the slow cooker and I plan to use a little water or apple juice, a halved onion and a bay leaf. I would like it to be ready for around 4pm tomorrow but am unsure on which setting to use and how long to cook it for - it is 5 lbs in weight. Any advice please?
  • rfeenie
    rfeenie Posts: 124
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    This will be my first attempt at cooking a gammon joint in the slow cooker and I plan to use a little water or apple juice, a halved onion and a bay leaf. I would like it to be ready for around 4pm tomorrow but am unsure on which setting to use and how long to cook it for - it is 5 lbs in weight. Any advice please?

HI

I got a book on slow cooking from Santa, going by what it says your 5lbs joint would need cooked for around 7 or 8 hours on the high setting. stick 3 or 4 cloves in your onion too, if you have them.

Also place the joint in a pot of cold water overnight to remove excess salt.
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I cooked a big gammon for Christmas and as half the family were ill still have loads left. Friends coming for New Year and I would like to use the sliced cooked ham as the main part of a dinner rather than buy more meat!! Any suggestions please? Do I have to serve it cold or can I warm it up to look as if it's just freshly roasted?
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • I've never cooked gammon before and I need your help! :o

Basically, I want to do two meals from my joint in the slow cooker with apple juice, and then a third meal with cauliflower cheese.

Is it best to cut the joint, and only slow-cook half of it, or to do it all at once? If so, how long will it keep for? Will we be ok eating it tonight, Sun and Mon? Oh, and do I need to boil the joint before I put it in the slow cooker?

Thank you!!
    Mortgage£148,725 Student loan£13,050 HSBC loan£12,221
    AprGC:£/£320
  • gizmo111
    gizmo111 Posts: 2,657
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I don't boil gammon but leave it to soak in cold water for a few hours before putting in SC. Cook it whole then slice as you need, it freezes well cooked as well.
    Mama read so much about the dangers of drinking alcohol and eating chocolate that she immediately gave up reading.
  • adelight
    adelight Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Soak in cold water for a few hours then pop in the SC on low for as long as it takes. It keeps for a good while, not sure how long is recommended but last time I did one I was eating it for over a week, maybe almost two and have some frozen in stews.
    Living cheap in central London :rotfl:
  • Brill, thanks both!
    Mortgage£148,725 Student loan£13,050 HSBC loan£12,221
    AprGC:£/£320
  • esmf73
    esmf73 Posts: 1,784 Forumite
    I did this recently - soaked it for hours and hours (because I forgot about it!) then roasted it in the oven and for the last half hour of cooking, studded the top with cloves and patted brown sugar in it. Tasted lovely - am thinking that I'll get more gammon and cook it as its cheaper than buying nice quality ham for the childrens sandwiches, and it means there is always something for us to pick at too.
    2014 will be all about ME!
    ( well that hasn't happened!!!)
    Mortgage free. Will be debt free in Nov 2014. Credit card £250
  • hilstep2000
    hilstep2000 Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    I did ours over Xmas using the Hairy Bikers version. It was gorgeous!
    Here's the link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/honeyandmarmaladegla_93186
    Really easy to do, and when we have gammon again that's how I am going to do it.
    I Believe in saving money!!!:T
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure