PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The KonMarie method

Comments

• lilahloo
    lilahloo Posts: 100 Forumite
    We have a local charity that takes furniture in good condition - they came and took a book case from me and some bric a brac.

It was surplus to requirements now I've done my books and I'm pleased to think it will do someone else a good turn and make money for the charity.

I've been tinkering with komono. I don't feel I'm making big inroads - I'm at the gathering of similar stuff together stage but there have been easy discards on the way.

I'm waiting for the right storage solutions for what I'm gathering to miraculously appear too!!
  • iQueen
    iQueen Posts: 810 Forumite

Choppeing board and an oven chip mess retrieved from behind the cupboard where it had fallen and got covered in cobwebs...

So, it's not just me then! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Needs, NOT wants!
    No food waste since November 2010. :j
    No debts.
  • anotheruser
    anotheruser Posts: 3,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Igamogam wrote: »
    So glad we have a log burner! In the last 25 years we have got rid of an entire kitchen, a garden shed, fencing panels and gates,12 window frames and various bits of furniture we bought from junk shops or were given to 'keep us going' when we first moved here. I know how your DD feels though - I would do the same:D
    We'd love to have a log burner.
    Something for the next house though as I don't think the LL would let us bring the fireplace back in to use!

We're concentrating more on the garden outside this time of year though! We were packed out with beans last year so hopefully we'll be just as fruitful this year; especially as I have bought a bunch of fruit bushes for the other half for their birthday!
  • ali-t
    ali-t Posts: 3,815 Forumite
    I kondo'd make up today and it was horrible but quite liberating. I have thrown out loads of Dior, YSL, Clarins and Estee Lauder make up as well as lots of cheaper brands. I am trying not to think of the cost (easily £300 worth of barely used cosmetics) but it is a lesson in stopping buying bright, sparkly makeup as I never wear it. lesson to self - I am no longer a 20 year old clubber! lol
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    iQueen wrote: »
    So, it's not just me then! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    :o No, I think it's the universal human conditon. If I drop a knife/ wooden spoon/ spatula down between the oven and the cupboard, I either retrieve it immediately or several months later in one of the periodic clean-up-under-appliances sessions. After having spent a lot of head-scratching wondering where my fave veg prep knife is........:p

I have got past a state of mind about my bathroom. My bathroom is an-all white room and I keep it very clear, but was experiencing an emotion about the bare and empty top of the cistern. Surely I should put a decorative object on it? An ornament, possibly with a nautical theme, or even a picture? Charity shops offered several 'solutions' to this but I was enjoying the ease with which I could just whip a cloth over the cistern top for cleaning.

After a while, the discomfort at the plainness/ emptiness disappears. Or at least it did for me. And it is lovely to be able to straighten up and clean a bathroom in a couple of minutes.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • iQueen
    iQueen Posts: 810 Forumite
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :o No, I think it's the universal human conditon. If I drop a knife/ wooden spoon/ spatula down between the oven and the cupboard, I either retrieve it immediately or several months later in one of the periodic clean-up-under-appliances sessions. My favourite (!) straining spoon is trapped behind the washing machine, and has been there for about a year, because retrieving it will mean disconnecting the machine first! :eek:

I have got past a state of mind about my bathroom. My bathroom is an-all white room and I keep it very clear, but was experiencing an emotion about the bare and empty top of the cistern. Surely I should put a decorative object on it? An ornament, possibly with a nautical theme, or even a picture? Charity shops offered several 'solutions' to this but I was enjoying the ease with which I could just whip a cloth over the cistern top for cleaning.

After a while, the discomfort at the plainness/ emptiness disappears. Or at least it did for me. And it is lovely to be able to straighten up and clean a bathroom in a couple of minutes.
    I'm glad you've got used to a clear cistern! Things tend to get knocked off, and it would not be joyful, shelling out for a new lavatory pan! ;)
    Needs, NOT wants!
    No food waste since November 2010. :j
    No debts.
  • allybee101
    allybee101 Posts: 736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Also gathering together odd bits to remove here too. I haven't time to spend on in depth decluttering at the moment so relying on intermittent bursts of activity when I have bits of time to spare. It does add up though so it definitely contributes to the decluttering, even if not follow get the theory of KM exactly. I'm mainly using the "does it spark joy" question.
    There are several small boxes and bags ready to depart to the charity shop soon.
    "Does it spark joy?" - Marie Kondo

"Do not wait; the time will never be "just right." Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." Napoleon Hill
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    I've come to the conclusion that the less I have possessions wise the better off I am.
  • I understand KM more and more

Because last night my husband used a belt he had not used for a while, the buckle was a pain in the ... and always has been! I looked at him getting frustrated( he does have MS so doesn't need any more frustration putting clothes on) I said to him that really doesn't bring any joy, yes I know it was expensive etc etc to his protests! but............. so now its been kondoed the point I am making is before I read the book and this thread he would have put it back in is drawer to try another day! but what would of been the point! it would of been clutter and also seeing it in his drawer would of made him feel no joy quite the opposite so thanks again KM!
    Having a Consumer Holiday 2015:A

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :) Things I have kondo'd from the parental home (with full consent) in passing this morning; 2 wigs, one pair of dentures, B00ts advantage vouchers with a use-by date in Jan 2014, statements for long-closed accounts (shedded) and various other misc.

Readied for donation this afternoon is a bag of nice books which have been read in the past few weeks and will go to chazzers for the future enjoyment of other people.

Very much in agreement with Oldtractor about the less being more kind of thing. You can spend a lot of time pawing through stuff, and condemning other people to paw through it after you've gone. Better to live with a few extra bits and bobs and some wide open spaces.

****wanders off singing that old country song with the refrain about don't fence me in - anyone know the title/ artist?*****
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills