Would moving a Miele washing machine damage flooring?

We've just ordered our new kitchen and are choosing new appliances. I see from this forum and many others that Miele have got a really good reputation, and we can afford one of their lower priced models (probably the Prestige Plus 6 or the W1613).

However, I am worried about the weight of the machines as I understand that they're about 93kg! We'll be having Karndean wood-effect vinyl planks for our flooring and I'm concerned that moving the Miele may well damage the Karndean.

The Miele customer services lady told me that once installed, the washing machine wouldn't be moved unless it required a repair, but it will be installed in our utility room where cat litter can get kicked under there so I'd ideally like to be able to clean behind it maybe once a year or so. It's surprising how gunky floors can get underneath washing machines. Also, we'd probably have to install it ourselves, which would involve moving it into place.

Does anyone have any experience with moving Miele washing machines, please? And if so, did it damage your floor (especially vinyl floors like Karndean)? Do you take it out occasionally to clean behind it?

Thanks for any help and advice you might be able to give me.

If the Miele doesn't work out, I have a Siemens in mind - it's a bit less expensive, but has a much larger drum (8kg as opposed to 6kg) and more features than the Miele. Both have 5 year guarantees.

Comments

• wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    I have vinyl, but also worried about damage when I move the heavy washing machine. So I have got into the habit of raising the front up and slipping a blanket underneath , then pulling/sliding machine out .
    Its the back rollers that get seized that cause the problems, stop them touching the floor .

Ps yes I know that makes an easy job difficult but even vinyl is expensive.
  • WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    One thing I've done a couple of times where I've had to move a washing machine in and out, is to run a line of Duck tape along where the runners should go, and then "lubricate" that with some washing up liquid. They slide in nicely like that, and if you have to pull them out, the tape protects the floor.
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Thats a great tip .
    My only problem , being a 9 stone weakling , its more of a 'wriggle than a straightforward pull.:D
  • becs
    becs Posts: 2,101 Forumite
    I think any washing machine would damage the flooring regardless of make, they're all heavy! you can get sliders like the ones below, I've never used them myself so don't know how effective they are or whether they would damage the floor.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Slide-Glides-TEFLON---Move-Heavy-Appliances-EASY!_W0QQitemZ310198083513QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxq20100202?IMSfp=TL100202198002r3388
  • Thanks to you all for your help! Trouble is, the Miele doesn't have casters, making it even more difficult to move - yikes! I'd definitely try the duct tape and washing up liquid approach and may be able to adapt wallbash's suggestion (I think a blanket would make moving the very heavy Miele more difficult, so perhaps something with a bit more "slip" might help), and becs' solution could well be worth a go.

Just wondering, am I weird in wanting to clean out behind my washing machine every so often? The customer services lady seemed very surprised that I would do that.
  • WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    The other thing I might suggest is that if the main problem is stuff getting stuck under it, maybe you can create some kind of kick board type arrangement which has a piece of wood running across the front, held in place either by magnetic fixings or other similar catches.

Alternatively cutting a plank of wood (then seal it in white gloss paint) to size that slides under the front and fills the gap - you'd have to "mould" it round the feet etc on the bottom, but this again could stop things sliding under and reduce the need to clean under it.

Without knowing exactly how the plans look and what dimensions you have its hard to advise but I'd be looking to do something lateral to avoid the problem if you can. I know what you mean with dry cat food - they spread it everywhere!
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • Thanks again, WestonDave.

One of my cats in particular likes to kick most of the litter out of his tray each time he uses it. Also, my other cat has a tendency to stand in the litter tray and wee/poo over the side! I've been looking for solutions and found some fantastic-looking high-sided litter trays by Rubbermaid. Unfortunately, they're not available in the UK, so I've ordered them from the US. Hopefully, that will cut down on bits of cat litter underneath the machine. I've also bought a couple of heavy rubber, ribbed mats to go in front of the trays to trap any litter before it gets trodden around.

As for the machine, there's a gap either side, as well as underneath. The magnetic fixing idea sounds really good, so I could remove them if ever I need to access the back of the washer. Perhaps the kitchen people could make me something as they're supposed to be pretty good at problem solving.
  • Argos – Appliance rollers
  • madget_2
    madget_2 Posts: 668 Forumite
    Thanks, Ionkontrol. They may be worth a shot. I've bookmarked them.
  • I've got a Prestige Plus and honestly, it didn't mark the floor (which was cheapy Homebase value vinyl tiles at the time).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure