EH - Essex > Hebrides...the next step of the adventure?

Comments

• Hi Misty!

Not really got any idea yet on the style of units - it's a small kitchen so I think we need something quite uncluttered-looking. I'm not convinced on the handleless style that's about a lot at the moment,but I think the "slab" style may work best in the space we have. It's all a bit scary at the moment, and if anyone has any thoughts on the best type of sink - I;d be grateful to hear them! (I hate our current white one with a passion, but Stainless steel is going to get scratched in no time and that will annoy me too - and that's before we even get started on the fact that it will constantly be covered in water marks!)

I'll not be heading into Lincoln centre this visit - just to Scampton and near there. Have got a night out with the gang the following week though for a leaving do - will be my first time for ages round the Lincoln pubs! :T
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • £5.60 TCB money landed in the bank today - transferred straight across to the card tonight. :T
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    she/her
  • Scott_Weiland_2
    Scott_Weiland_2 Posts: 799 Forumite
    edited 11 January 2017 at 11:37PM
    just popping in to say hi, it sounds like things are going well! It must be so nice to sleep on a new mattress. I think sage green with cream units would look lovely - what style are the units? I used to have a nice kitchen like that with country cottagey looking units, the green was a very soft shade of sage and did look really pretty. I had a belfast sink too that added to the overall effect.

Surveys have been coming thick and fast here, I've not managed to do all of them. I prioritise anything from Pinecone and Yougov. I'm a long way from a Yougov payout but do find the surveys much more interesting than most.

I hope you enjoy Lincoln! I've never been there when there hasn't been major roadworks everywhere so tend to take the train if I can. It's a very beautiful city with so much going on, and the steep street is so interesting!

join this one Misty the surveys are similar too yougov misty

https://www.opiniumresearch.com/Portal/default.aspx

the surveys usually at most take 3-4mins for the 25p ones or 7-8 for the 50p ones pay out is 25quid via bank transfer
    Cashback Earnings YTD £46.04 Survey Earnings YTD £182.66
    "Always always train, be the best version of you that you can physically be"
  • Couple more good tips on the survey front there - thanks both! :T Will definitely investigate those - the ones that do the short surveys suit me well as I can fit them in between other things.

Got a 15p OnePoll first thing, and a 15 Point Opinion Outpost as well. I think the latest looks like this:

Surveys:
    OnePoll £31.60 (Cash-out £40)
    PC £3
    Populus Live £9 (Cash-out £50)
    Opinion Outpost 50 points (Could cash this for £2.50 but will probably wait for the time being to build it a bit more
    Power of opinions (Cashes out to vouchers at 1,000 points) 440 points

TCB: £33.32 confirmed but not yet payable

I've paid over £40 extra to the card this month already, so I'm going to leave both PC and OO sitting for the time being I think. Prolific Academic aren't looking good for me at all at the moment - nothing whatsoever from them.

Hoping the weather isn't going to turn too grim later today as I've got a three hour drive to Scampton tonight. Boss has already said if I need to leave earlier than the 4pm I already had planned that's fine with him, so I'll play it by ear. I'll need to be very aware of the possibility of snow and ice, whatever. Meant to be doing photography stuff tomorrow but the way the forecast looks currently I reckon the runway will be frozen first thing - and there may well be snow overnight which won't help. I know they'll be up flying if they possibly can though so fingers crossed we'll get something, at least. I'm dying to put my new camera through its paces on some aviation stuff!

MrEH will use the last of the mushrooms in an omelette tonight, while I'm going to the pub! :p Tomorrow will be a planned-for takeaway as it will probably be somewhere close to 8pm by the time I get home.

Need to think about a meal plan for next week, and also a shopping list - lunchtime may be useful for this!
    she/her
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,305 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 17 January 2017 at 11:34AM
    Well the trip to Scampton was a good one - although thanks to the high winds the jets didn't fly so the camera gear didn't see the light of day! 6 of us went to the pub for a meal on Thursday night - which was made a bit cheaper by the cheeky devil of a chef going home before we could order pudding! :eek: Thankfully all was not lost as some of the Reds pilots were in there for leaving drinks for 2 of the guys who finished at the end of last season - it was lovely to see them, but, more importantly, they had cake, and after some loud pleading hints were dropped, Stew kindly brought the last few slices over for us! :rotfl: Friday was mostly about sitting in the photo section office, drinking tea, gossiping, and waiting for the tannoy announcement that flying had been cancelled! :o

Planned takeaway on Friday night - MrEH stopped at the chinese on the way home from work. Shopping on saturday morning was just over £15. :T Other than that the weekend was entirely no-spend - we had the meeting with our kitchen planner on Saturday morning too, and had a look at a couple of tile places but haven't found anything we like more than the ones we saw first off. I had the window man round tonight for the measuring up - and he's confirmed that the change to the style of front door that we've decided on (half glazed, half solid) has saved us £100 on the bill, too. :T The window and doors are being fitted on the 27th, and I've got the kitchen planner coming that day to do the measure up and come up with ideas for us on that day, too. Better stock up on teabags I reckon! :D

Remembered to check today on the Regular Saver account which has matured - £175 interest been paid on that so we're happy bunnies! At the moment the rate is still showing at the 5% and it's not changed to its new name so I'll need to keep my eyes on that and pounce to get the new one opened as soon as it changes.

Meals are planned out for the week - I'm up at Scampton again on Thursday - hoping to get some photo stuff done during the day and then we've got a leaving do in the evening - a meal then drinks. I'll be driving back though as I can save a days holiday by working on Friday.
    she/her
  • Surveys:
    OnePoll £32.00 (Cash-out £40)
    PC £3
    Populus Live £11 (Cash-out £50)
    Opinion Outpost 50 points (Could cash this for £2.50 but will probably wait for the time being to build it a bit more
    Power of opinions (Cashes out to vouchers at 1,000 points) 480 points
    YouGov 150 points (Cashes out to £50 at 5,000 points)

she/her
  • I'm glad you had a good time, even with the runaway chef and cancelled flights. I drove by Scampton en route to a job and thought of you.

I'm still doing the round down to the pound and transfer the pennies over to my savings that you mentioned, and I must say it's working better than anything I've tried in the past. I'm still using the money from surveys etc. to pay the bills but am hoping to soon put that in the savings as well. It's a very small amount at the moment but I keep thinking how every penny I can put in there gets me one step closer to owning a house. It's very motivating!
  • EssexHebridean
    edited 20 January 2017 at 4:21PM
    SO pleased that the pennies to savings thing is working for you Misty! And I'll think of YOU next time I got to Scampton, now! :D (And if you're passing in the future, and you're in need of lunch, I can assure you that the butty-wagon just outside the camp does STUNNING bacon, egg & mushroom baps!) :rotfl:

Another good trip up yesterday - although last night was spendy, I knew it would be, and have budgeted for it (and as I was drinking soft drinks, and we weren't getting into rounds, it wasn't *that* spendy). Spent the day with the Photogs again - we only got one flying slot in as the weather wasn't great (again!) but as usual lots of sitting about chatting, and drinking tea. Butty run for late breakfast/early lunch but Claire owed me for lunch last week so she paid that. (Yes Misty, that IS where my insider knowledge about the butty wagon comes from!). The meal and beer call last night were for a combined leaving do for two of the photo section, including a very good friend of mine - this is the worst thing about the military I've found, the constant moving about of people. He's off to Northern Ireland for his next posting. Anyway 12 of us for the meal - a pub with fairly standard, reasonably priced but actually very good food. I had a burger and sweet potato fries for £7.99 - REALLY nice! Bought a drink each for the leavers, and my own drinks, and reckon I spent about £25 across the evening which is pretty reasonable. Also drove three of the girls into town for me and we found on-street parking so that helped - saved them transport costs one way too! :T

The weekend will also be spendy - off to Manchester tonight and to Manchester Beer Festival for the day tomorrow. Train is bought and paid for, and hotel is booked and also paid for, but there WILL be BF entrance tomorrow (£7 I think, from memory) and there will be food - including breakfast at one of our favourite cafes. :D I've got £35 in my purse and can still take more from the bank if I need to - next weekend will be very low spend in terms of personal spending so it'll all balance out over the month. :T

Surveys:
    OnePoll £33.45 (Cash-out £40)
    PC £3
    Populus Live £13 (Cash-out £50)
    Opinion Outpost 60 points (Could cash this for £2.50 but will probably wait for the time being to build it a bit more
    Power of opinions (Cashes out to vouchers at 1,000 points) 580 points
    YouGov 250 points (Cashes out to £50 at 5,000 points)

she/her
  • EH the Manchester Beer Festival, and the Good Food Show - Brum edition, seem to come round faster and faster each year! It's amazing that there is time for you to save up the pennies for each in the interim!

Or is Greying just getting old..........:rotfl:

X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £2/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £120.73/215
    Non-food household spend April £25.94/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Charity Blankets completed 1/24
  • EssexHebridean
    We actually do set aside spending money each month specifically for the GFS Greying - it's got its own savings account and everything! :rotfl:
    she/her
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills