PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS ways and Poor Health

Options

Comments

• Slowly57
    Slowly57 Posts: 353 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Larumbelle wrote: »
    A couple of the charity shops do them brand new, I can't remember which (Cancer Research, PDSA and Sense are coming to mind but I'm not certain) but they are nice patterns, sturdy and help a good cause.

Sue Ryder had trolleys in last time I looked. I use a cabin-size rolly suitcase - the handle acts as a 'steady' and it goes sideways as well as push/pull :rotfl: I also have a Reisenthel fold-up one that was more expensive, but has saved me so, so much trouble - I think there are other brands now
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZhD3skUaDg
    2022 | Back to the fold - need a Money Saving mojo reboot!

Grocery Challenge JAN 2022 £200/£185.00 left!
  • Prinzessilein
    Options
    Morning!...Oh it is cold here this morning!...When I finally move I think I will be looking at putting the winter duvet on my bed!

Moving is progressing VERY slowly. I signed the contract o Monday, and the Housing Officer chap forgot the paint-allowance papers (amongst other papers) ....finally got hold of him yesterday and he has promised faithfully to bring them today so we can order my paint....unfortunately we had already found someone to do the painting - now we have to see if he can make it NEXT week rather than this weekend as the paint won't arrive in time! GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!! (And we can't push too hard as they are friend-of-a-friend and doing us a favour by fitting me in 'after hours')

I have a trolley too! I fought hard against it...after all only 'old' people have them! But now I wouldn't be without her! Yes, she is female (and her name is Esther)...and my walking stick is definitely male (and is called Knobbler.....he replaced my first stick, Crusher!)...I have a thing about naming objects!.....Esther makes my life so much easier...She helps me balance when I walk (I have severe dyspraxia) and carries LOADS of shopping for me.....And she will be a terrific help with the move! (I will move a fair amount of small items on my own - with Esther.)....I bought both Esther and Knobbler from the local disability-aid shop (and got them both VAT free as I am disabled)

Welcome WW...I read your story on the other thread...you are an amazing strong woman!

The shortening of names is something that confuses me a bit...the used to shorten my real name at school...down to just one syllable. ...Does it really save that much time?...Online I can accept that shorter names means less typing, so saves time and effort! ...(although I did once have to point out to someone - not on this thread - that shortening my username to just Prinz was problematic as I am a princess not a prince!)
  • Larumbelle
    Larumbelle Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    Options
    Lyn I am so happy for you, that must be a big weight off your mind! I smiled when you said you are no longer willing to have toxic people in your life - I have made a similar vow to myself. Hopefully now you can focus on getting a better tenant for your house.

Prinzess I'm glad that everything is progressing, even if it's not 100% smoothly. I had delays getting my paint allowance too, it will be worth it though in the end!

As to the name shortening... well, if you can find a way to shorten mine, go for it ;) I am not precious about my username at all. With my real name, it's a whole different story though! Even though it is only two syllables, people keep insisting on shortening it down to one in a way that I really, really hate. Luckily now I have a new group of friends who respect that I prefer my actual name, and the only person who gets away with shortening it is my sister. She, on the other hand, goes by a shortened version of her name to the point that if someone uses the full version of it I do have to think for a second who they are referring to. Names are a bit funny when you think about it!

LW surely the fact that you are already doing the job is absolute proof that you are able to do it! Hopefully you won't have any problems, I will keep my fingers crossed for you!

Yesterday wasn't great for me, I don't know why, just one of those no-energy days. You know when you feel a huge sense of achievement by doing a simple task you'd never have thought twice about before? That was me yesterday LOL. I made some pasta with veggies and a bit of pesto, which pre-illness would have been a lazy no-effort thrown-together cop out, but yesterday I actually felt proud of myself for managing it! Hopefully today will be a better day.

One of my friends has given me one of those daylight tube lamps because he thinks it's the nights closing in. I put it on for a few hours last night and I don't know if it was 'working' but it was nice to have 'normal' light rather than artificial. Although I still have the bulbs that were here when I moved in, the CFL equivalent of 40w bulbs so not exactly bright. I am changing my light fittings completely in the next few days and once I have they will be brighter, but LEDs so they are much cheaper to run. So maybe that will make a difference too.

I am off for my weekly counselling session. At the moment I feel chirpier than yesterday, hopefully I will still feel that way afterwards! It's not that it makes me feel worse, but it can be quite intense, so often I come home feeling utterly exhausted and it takes me a bit of time to process it all before I can carry on with my day. But I am hopeful.

Hope everyone has a good day :)
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Re names, screen names, and nicknames. I am quite happy if people shorten my screen name to LW (as most do), but I do insist on my preferred version of my real name - and spelled correctly, too, as many people mis-spell it.

Update on the doggy situation - I had a long chat (on the phone *gulp*) with the lady who administers this area; she seems very keen to put me onto the books. I have to fill out some official paperwork (on its way to me), provide two references, and pass a home-check. She asked loads of questions about our bungalow, and where I walk dogs; also checked if we smoke (no we don't) and if we have children (no) or other pets (no); Mr LW's pal has agreed to give a reference - he's known us for years, and we've looked after his dog; and I've emailed one of my regular guests' "Mum" to ask if she'll give a reference also. So, keeping the fingers crossed still, but hopefully we should be good to go. :o
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    LameWolf wrote: »
    [/I]I have to make a Shepherd Spy shortly, which will do for tonight's and tomorrow's dins; Mr LW will be on veg-chopping detail, on the basis of I'd like to keep all my fingers. :rotfl:

Otherwise you will be having I Scream for afters!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Took quite a nasty fall this morning, am somewhat shaken, and my leg is a rather fetching shade of bluish purple. Could have been worse; I didn't break anything, thankfully. So am finding sitting-down tasks to do today; may even get started on the next section of my cardigan - I have the back and the two pocket-linings knitted up so far.

Hoping you're all well, and not doing daft things such as chronicled above. :o
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Nomoonatall
    Nomoonatall Posts: 1,173 Forumite
    Options
    Took quite a nasty fall this morning, am somewhat shaken, and my leg is a rather fetching shade of bluish purple. Could have been worse; I didn't break anything, thankfully. So am finding sitting-down tasks to do today; may even get started on the next section of my cardigan - I have the back and the two pocket-linings knitted up so far.

Hoping you're all well, and not doing daft things such as chronicled above. :o

Hope you're okay LameWolf. I'm forever falling over...it's always a shock.
    Went to the hospital this week, the consultant asked how my balance is....I showed him my latest bruises...all ten of them! They were the ones on show...I didn't show him the rest...to protect him!

If you're doing sit down crafts...make sure you have decent lighting! x
  • Slowly57
    Slowly57 Posts: 353 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Took quite a nasty fall this morning, am somewhat shaken, and my leg is a rather fetching shade of bluish purple.

Hope you're feeling much better now LameWolf - I bruise like a peach - my OH thinks I have a secret life as a cage fighter LMAO :rotfl:
    2022 | Back to the fold - need a Money Saving mojo reboot!

Grocery Challenge JAN 2022 £200/£185.00 left!
  • Prinzessilein
    Options
    *very gentle hugs for LameWolf...I bruise of you look at me too hard!

I am somewhat fuzzy on meds today...this means my coordination is all off. I managed to miss the coffee cup when making a cuppa this morning. Thankfully only the coffee powder...and I have a water boiler/pourer for days like this!

The painter came this morning and examined what needs to be done....we have been promised by the Council that the paint will be delivered on Wednesday....I'm hoping for a couple of clear-head days this coming week so that I can get a fair bit of packing done.

'Strictly' tonight....so a good reason to just veg out in front of the tele!
  • ArthriticOldThing
    Options
    Good evening all.
    I'm still around, reading but not posting much.
    But must comment after posts about falls. I fall down so easily it is ridiculous (My BIL says I trip over a matchstick) and was sent by my GP to the 'Falls Clinic' at our local hospital last week.:(
    Didn't help my mood when discovered it was part of the 'Elderly Medicine' section. :eek:
    Had lots of tests and filled in forms as usual. Now waiting for word about what next.

Was also at Diabetic Clinic where they've been trying to get my bloods down. Got phone call from them later to say they're now too low!! Just can't win.
    Not been a good week.
    Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, Do without.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure