Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Comments

• robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    maman wrote: »
    I go into Farmfoods most weeks but I'm very selective in what I buy.

I posted this on the Farmfoods/Heron thread back in August.

It definitely sounds like a company ripe for take over. So many of their prices aren't competitive (with Aldi and Lidl) any more and what they have which is cheap is often junk. I'm pleased today to be getting to the bottom of a bag of chicken breasts that I definitely wont be replacing (full of salt water). I need some fish but the bags in Iceland (also 3 for £10) look much more appetising with decent fillets rather than scraps. So when I've room in the freezer I'll be off to Iceland.

My list for Farmfoods gets shorter and shorter: toilet rolls, kitchen roll, milk, bread (2 for £1 Allinsons 400g), frozen leeks and peas, occasional crisps and biscuits and sometimes fruit/veg if there's any left and the price is obvious!

Well I have Poundstrecher, Farmfoods, Lidl and Iceland all in a line on a shopping complex. Guess which is nearly always empty, The second one. And you can all guess which is the busiest.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • robin58 wrote: »
    Well I have Poundstrecher, Farmfoods, Lidl and Iceland all in a line on a shopping complex. Guess which is nearly always empty, The second one. And you can all guess which is the busiest.
    Is it Tesco ;)
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,596 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Green and red grapes in Aldi @ £1.19 for 400g.
    Not sure if it national or local as the shop I was in had just re-opened after a refit.
    Lidl have price match the grapes, £1.19/400g punnet

The Lidl I was in today had 500g punnets of grapes for that price. Red & mixed, can't be certain on the green ;)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    robin58 wrote: »
    I know where you live :D

Still you can always pop into the Matalan afterwards, or go to the bingo place before you have a KFC supper.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I see that Aldi has its advent beauty calendar out for £19.99, better value than many of the big brands if you like that sort of thing.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I bought some Brussels sprouts from Aldi from the Super 6 and half of them were mouldy when I took off the bit that was attached to the 'tree'. Black inside.

Another produce item added to the won't buy from Aldi again list.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    There is a FF down the same road as my work. Only buy loo rolls from there. Plus I have bought breakfast cereal from them past 4 months - I'm the only one in the shop. Sometimes there is no member of staff about either. So anyone can walk out nicking shopping.
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    I bought some Brussels sprouts from Aldi from the Super 6 and half of them were mouldy when I took off the bit that was attached to the 'tree'. Black inside.

Your store seems to have more than it's fair share of bad fruit & veg. Have you considered speaking to management to find out why?

I bought some myself the other day and they were crisp, firm and absolutely delicious!
  • robin58
    edited 13 October 2016 at 12:18AM
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I know where you live :D

Still you can always pop into the Matalan afterwards, or go to the bingo place before you have a KFC supper.

I've been rumbled!!!! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

But you have forgot Travis Perkins at the back for the new toilet seat. :D
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • robin58

Found these to be a bit on the small size and 'buggy'. But then again they are a bit early in the season. Will keep a eye on future packs.
    How little I know.!! ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income