PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

simarc charging "additional rent"

Options
2»

Comments

• KieronThomas
    Options
    Thats a worrying estimation even 25% would be q hefty sting.

Surely this additional rent must be defined and details provided on request. Does anyone know what legislation I should be looking at?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    No leglisation (that I'm aware of).

Contract law.
  • TrickyDicky101
    Options

Surely this additional rent must be defined and details provided on request. Does anyone know what legislation I should be looking at?

Looks to me like it was defined in the lease excerpts you quoted.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Looks to me like it was defined in the lease excerpts you quoted.
    Indeed. And you accepted them by buying the flat.

Your solicitor should have explained them to you.
  • KieronThomas
    Options
    I have no argument against accepting it on sale I understand that its not understanding what its for.
    Ground rent is a standard term and there plenty of documentation available explaining it. Additional rent is open, try looking it up and all I find is that it could be a service charge but for me that is covered on its own in the lease and I get the break down every year and pay it to Belmont property management and its less then this additional rent.

I don't expect a golden bullet that sees £1000s coming to me all I'm after is getting simarc to give me the details of the additional rent and if ita unreasonable challenge it.

I can only blame my self for getting stuck with this but I know I have the right to know what I'm paying for I just don't know where to look to give then no reason to not comply.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    What did your solicitor say when they confirmed you understood your obligations and restrictions under the lease with you, prior to exchange?
    What did the freeholder/management company say when you asked them?

In a way, it's irrelevant what it's for - or whether you think it "reasonable". It's there in your lease, and you knew (or should have known) it was there in your lease when you bought the place.
  • ognum
    ognum Posts: 4,842 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

As far as I can tell it is an additional ground rent. I'm not sure you do have a right to know what it's for. No one asks the freeholder what they do with the ground rent they receive, they can do what they like with it!

It is not a service charge so you will not receive a breakdown of it use like roof repairs, gardening etc.

You agreed to pay it by buying the flat.

For others, please, please, please read the lease yourself. If there is a part you don't understand ask for a legal explanation.
  • G_M
    Options
    Unless otherwise defined (which you say it is not), the 'additional ground rent' is for exactly the same as the 'ground rent'.

In both cases, it constitutes income for the freeholder in return for the right to use the building (as defined in the lease).

It is not a service charge, which can only be spent on specific services.

It is simpy an 'additional' amount. It is listed separately it seems since the payment terms differ.
  • chris_m
    chris_m Posts: 8,250 Forumite
    Options
    I wonder if the "ground rent" is just for the land upon which the building stands and the "additional rent" is for the flat within the building?
  • G_M
    Options
    chris_m wrote: »
    I wonder if the "ground rent" is just for the land upon which the building stands and the "additional rent" is for the flat within the building?
    Since the lease does not apparantly state this, then no.

But it really makes no difference.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport