DMP & Mutual Support Thread - Part 11

Comments

• phoenixx
    phoenixx Posts: 228
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Grrrrrr!!!!! :mad:

Had a letter from BC threatening a default!! Hurrah!! My hubby phoned them to make sure everything was on track and they have informed him that they have now started adding interest as they have not had a recent I & E from SC. :( We did our review last August and assumed that all creditors had got this info as all seemed ok.

Why has it taken them so long to tell us they haven't had it?? The lady has put the account on a 30 day hold and we have contacted SC who have said they have resent the info for us. Got to phone BC in 2 weeks to see if they have received the updated I & E info and ask them to stop interest again.

Just wish they would default us and be done with it!! :( Chuffed for Ploppy and Phoenixx who have got that elusive default although you have to wait 7 months.

Good luck Jan with your challenge with BC - let's hope we can secure a default too :)

BDFSH x

Hey BDFSH - fingers crossed for BC success. We really did have to stop paying them anything to get anywhere at all. Ignored them too. Suddenly they are on board with us. It did help to speak with a manager there the other day. It was tough getting the phone operative to pass our call to one but when we finally got through they were better.:T
    DMP since August 2011
    DFD January 2018 hopefully sooner :j
    Debt at start: £98769:eek:
    Debt now: £24993:o
    Paid back: £73776 :j
    Taking it one day at a time:T
  • phoenixx wrote: »
    Hey BDFSH - fingers crossed for BC success. We really did have to stop paying them anything to get anywhere at all. Ignored them too. Suddenly they are on board with us. It did help to speak with a manager there the other day. It was tough getting the phone operative to pass our call to one but when we finally got through they were better.:T

Thanks Phoenixx :)

The lady who my husband spoke to said she was confused as to why interest had started to be applied as we were on the DMP with SC, she said it was purely because they hadn't received an up to date I & E from SC. She said that BC normally suspend all interest and charges for those on a DMP with SC :eek: although from reading posts on here that doesn't seem to be the case.

We will see what they say in two weeks time - bring on the battle!!

BDFSH x
  • Would like to thank everyone who gave me advice on how to handle the excessive charges that NW and BC were charging.

NW have investigated and have refunded all interest, late payment fees and over limit fees charged to me since july 2015 as well as sent me £100 worth of love2shop vouchers so that has sorted the worrying over buying birthday presents this month as money is very tight at the moment, with the new job and brought my debt free date forward 3 months.

Still fighting with BC but feeling much better after the contact with NW

without this forum I would never have had the courage to fight them on this

T2S x
  • Timetosort wrote: »
    Would like to thank everyone who gave me advice on how to handle the excessive charges that NW and BC were charging.

NW have investigated and have refunded all interest, late payment fees and over limit fees charged to me since july 2015 as well as sent me £100 worth of love2shop vouchers so that has sorted the worrying over buying birthday presents this month as money is very tight at the moment, with the new job and brought my debt free date forward 3 months.

Still fighting with BC but feeling much better after the contact with NW

without this forum I would never have had the courage to fight them on this

T2S x

Great news T2S :)

Keep fighting with BC - it has been good to see that others on here have had success with them - keeps us all hoping!!

Enjoy spending the vouchers - maybe give yourself a little treat as it has been all your hard work reclaiming the interest and charges.

I agree with you - this forum definitely has the best people :D

BDFSH x
  • Sazzie23
    Sazzie23 Posts: 2,634
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Post of the Month
    Forumite
    MitziB wrote: »
    I know your reply was to someone else, Saz, but I was struck by your mention of 'irresponsible lending' by creditors. I wrote a rather long-winded post yesterday but it disappeared without trace somehow and never appeared in the thread:(. Probably just as well, it did go on a bit:o

You seem to have such a wide knowledge of so many debt-related topics and I've found your comments and help to other posters very useful and valuable to my own situation:T

I thought I'd ask if you know if 'irresponsible lending' is a recognised 'thing' and whether there is any official way of seeking redress for it.

Any advice always welcome:beer:

Hi, I've been a bit busy this week, but replying was on my mind so thought I'd do a late night catch up.

Yes irresponsible lending is recognised by FoS and is worth quoting if you decide you have a complain against a lender. It's seems to be quite specific though, where a lender has lent where it was obvious the customer was owing to be in difficulty repaying. The FoS accepted recourse seems to be giving more time to repay and cutting/reducing interest and charges so don't pin any hopes on getting a refund, but always worth asking.

The vast majority of my knowledge is self taught from the MSE and other similar forums, so you could catch up quick, but thanks for the compliment.
    Well I have had a busy afternoon preparing my SC paperwork and evidence. Hope to get it all sent off to them tomorrow. Got most of it together just need to dig out evidence of tax credits & child benefit.
    Got our new basic account card & pins through this week so that feels nice, shiny new bank account with no overdraft or bad history!
    Anyone know how SC and DMPs deal with variable pay? I'm on salary so mine is flat rate every month, but DH works salary plus overtime plus a school term time element which depends on the amount of school days in the month. His pay can vary from £780 to £930 so on the initial enquiry I just put £850... Curious as to how this might be taken into consideration.

Hope you're all having a nice day :)

Actually I'd go back to SC and declare the wages at the minimum amount of the variable and then you'd have the option to choose what you do with the extra on the month's you get it, save, pay off more, blow it etc. Once the DMP is up and running a while if you find you are always in surplus over budget then do an SC review and up the DH income slightly until you find the right balance. An SC review can be done anytime, you don't need to wait until the year is up.

Hope this helps

Saz
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027 :T

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.
  • MitziB
    MitziB Posts: 56 Forumite
    edited 17 April 2016 at 5:17AM
    Sazzie23 wrote: »
    Hi, I've been a bit busy this week, but replying was on my mind so thought I'd do a late night catch up.

Yes irresponsible lending is recognised by FoS and is worth quoting if you decide you have a complain against a lender. It's seems to be quite specific though, where a lender has lent where it was obvious the customer was owing to be in difficulty repaying. The FoS accepted recourse seems to be giving more time to repay and cutting/reducing interest and charges so don't pin any hopes on getting a refund, but always worth asking.

The vast majority of my knowledge is self taught from the MSE and other similar forums, so you could catch up quick, but thanks for the compliment.

Hope this helps

Saz

Thanks so much for your response, Sazzie. Top advice, as ever;)

I doubt it worth pursuing in my case then as they are historic charges etc. The debts concerned are part of my DMP, all with frozen interest since the DMP started. I take full responsibility for my past spending, no one held a gun to my head :o, but leading up to the DMP charges and interest just became unmanageable and tipped me over the brink. It should have been obvious to some of the lenders that things were spiralling out of control but none of them ever wrote to me, phoned me or lowered my spending limits:(. I suppose we are dealing with an automated system, not 'real' people in the credit card world!

Will have a good ponder and maybe try a letter to one of my creditors to test the water. I've nothing to lose after all. Thanks again, I'll keep you posted:beer:.

Great advice too to chiefsfanuk:T. I tend to forget that a SC review can be done any time, not just annually. A lot can change in the course of a year as I know to my own cost.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,711
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    Received another CCA today. I think it is enforceable because it is a copy of the original but there is a small part of my brain telling me something is missing. I am pretty sure I have read on here that as well as my signature it has to have been signed on behalf of the company. Do any of you knowledgeable lot know if this is correct or is it a figment of my imagination?

As with most things legal, the devil is in the detail.

It would depend on how old the account was, and if anything else is missing, it can be a very complex issue, and ultimately can only be ruled on by a court, who may dismiss such frivolity as irrelevant anyway.

I have sent you a PM.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Pc2003
    Pc2003 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Get paid tomorrow, budget in place... Massive effort to be made to stick to it this month for the first time ever. This can be done x
  • chiefsfanuk
    chiefsfanuk Posts: 206 Forumite
    Sazzie23 wrote: »

Actually I'd go back to SC and declare the wages at the minimum amount of the variable and then you'd have the option to choose what you do with the extra on the month's you get it, save, pay off more, blow it etc. Once the DMP is up and running a while if you find you are always in surplus over budget then do an SC review and up the DH income slightly until you find the right balance. An SC review can be done anytime, you don't need to wait until the year is up.

Hope this helps

Saz

Thanks Saz, I will go over the last six months or so of payslips and see what the lower figures come in at. Also realised my tax credits went down by about a fiver a week this month so I might need to mention that to SC also.

Thanks again :)
    V xxx
    :idea: LBM 5/4/16 :idea:
    DMP Journey starts April 2016. Time to take control once and for all!
    Unsecured Debt £20583/£20583 Emergency fund £0/£1000
  • Sazzie23
    Sazzie23 Posts: 2,634
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Post of the Month
    Forumite
    Pc2003 wrote: »
    Get paid tomorrow, budget in place... Massive effort to be made to stick to it this month for the first time ever. This can be done x

Good positive thinking :D
    keep that DFD (debt free date) in your mind.
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027 :T

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills