PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Whats the difference between a turnip and a swede?

Comments

• As Wikipedia has the answer to all life's questions :rotfl: first I searched for 'turnip' - see below

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turnip

Good result so far. Then I searched for 'swede'................

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swede

What the flip!!! :confused:

You cannot live as I have lived an not end up like me.

Oi you lot - please :heart:GIVE BLOOD :heart: - you never know when you and yours might need it back! 67 pints so far.
  • julesgr
    julesgr Posts: 657 Forumite
    turnip....white and purple

swede ....purple and orangey yellow!

turnip....bland

swede....sweet and scrummy!
    Weight loss since 01/08/07 - 72 lbs:j
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    As Wikipedia has the answer to all life's questions :rotfl: first I searched for 'turnip' - see below

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turnip

Good result so far. Then I searched for 'swede'................

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swede

What the flip!!! :confused:
    I think Wikipedia is American, and in America a swede is called a rutabaga !. Just to add to the confusion:D
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Heheheheee, we had this discussion a while back, (blimey, almost a year ago!!) and I'm sure it will come up again at some point.

Anyone interested, here's the previous discussion Turnip/Swede ;):D
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Queenie
    chardonnay wrote:
    turnips & swedes are the same vegetable.

:think: Don't think you're right there, never been the same vegetable in our house. Clearly two different types. ;)
  • Don't forget neeps :D
  • Queenie
    thriftlady wrote:
    ... Swedes are delicious boiled and mashed and served with lots of butter and black pepper...
    and a sprinkle of nutmeg please :drool: gotta have a sprinkling of nutmeg :j :j

Use cubed swede along with others when you make a dish of roasted root veg, scrummy!

E'lass - that's just a foreign name for one of the aforementioned ;):p :laugh:
  • I once had a (very polite ) disagreement at the checkout at Sainsbury's with the checkout operator and a supervisor. (I'm an Englishwoman living in Scotland). What they called a turnip, I called a swede. In the end because we couldn't agree they let me have it free!
    Afterwards I went back and checked the display -they were labelled as turnips! (but Fatbelly above confirms they were swedes!)
  • MegS
    MegS Posts: 234 Forumite
    Another confused household here - my DH is from Sunderland and what I call a swede he calls a turnip and the other one pictured is a baby turnip apparently according to him anyway. Maybe Hadrian's Wall should have been built just north of York to include the north east in Scotland. Mind you there is a group in the north east trying to get the north east classed as its own country like Wales and Scotland.
  • vivaladiva
    vivaladiva Posts: 2,425 Forumite
    Yep, I'm from York originally and we always called a swede a turnip (in fact I don't ever remember seeing a turnip - as in small purple and white veg - as a child). We used to carve them for Halloween - hard work it was too!
    Since moving further south I have had to toe the line and call them swedes and carve pumpkins for Halloween, ahh so much easier.:D
    I have plenty of willpower - it's won't power I need.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure