Don't know where to start! £10k debt

1235»

Comments

• I think it's very easy for us to say that he should be splitting things with you more equally, but it gets a little blurred when there are kids from other relationships involved and maintenance payments etc. For example, there's no way that his maintenance to his other children should ever be your responsibility etc.
    But for goodness sake don't make the mistake of being a martyr. Let him help you pay off the debts, which are really family debts (I doubt you've incurred them solely buying yourself shoes and jewellery) and then set out a budget going forward which feels comfortable and fair.
    Savings:
    Emergency 404.38/1000 Car 200/600 Christmas 250/800 Holiday 250/600
    Grading 30/90 presents 40
    Total debt Jan 2018 53,938
    April 2018 47,780.52
  • Thanks everyone!

I talked to my husband yesterday and he's very happy for us to combine everything and pay it all off as a joint effort. He's been saying forever that we should get a joint account and just merge everything.

So, great! That's a good point about him not putting in 50% of the house deposit! Plus I tend to be the one who books the holidays (even £9.50 holidays always end up costing me about £250) and I feel guilty whenever he pays for anything - I guess I'm a bit of a doormat.
  • No your not a dorrmat - you sound fiercly independant which isn't a bad thing. But when he's earning that kind of money and you're not then its time to accept that a marriage is a partnership.

Keep posting though hun - that 10k can be paid off in no time with a bit of determination, and a little help from these boards x
  • Is the house just in your name still or is it now held jointly?
    Because if held jointly, and you separate, then he would be entitled to half of the house, no matter who had paid what into it.
    Therefore he should be paying off 'his' half of the mortgage - you have already paid off 'your' half.
    Good to hear you have had the conversation about money.
    Is your DH any good with money? Can he not run the money side of things if you are rubbish at it? Why not pay him rather than he pay you? Set up a budget together, focusing on paying off the debts and then the goals you set together and then let him run it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure