Is this fraud

Options
Good morning

I just want to clarify wether this is fraudulent or not, I know of a young gentlemen who is claiming benefits and DLA. He has been "unable" to work for quite a few years. However he is still able to get up at 6am to go o a paid days beating on a local pheasant shoot- the shoot starts at 8amand finishes at 1630 - involves negotiating treacherous uphill slippery terrain and walking up to 15 miles - beating through thick vegetation and woodland- he gets paid £25 per day and this occurs up to three times per week for four months of the year - now he makes an issue that he can't go on the book as he receives DLA and also has blue badge and receives a vehicle via the mobility scheme so he gets cash in hand -so is this fraud? It's very blatant there are photos all over social media of him doing the activity? I was just curious as my wife has DLA and has to declare a change in circumstance although she can't do ahuthing for herself. Thanks

Comments

• fishybusiness
    Options
    What are his 'conditions' allowing him to claim DLA?
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    DLA isn't an out of work benefit. Even millionaires can claim DLA. David Cameron claimed it for his son.

Unless you know exactly why he claims DLA and the illnesses/conditions he has then I'm not sure how you can accuse him of fraud. By the way, the mobility part of DLA isn't just for those with a physical disability.
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Options
    He may or may not be committing fraud

However his employer is also breaking the law. They're paying considerably below even the low agricultural minimum wage.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    His right to a Blue Badge looks dubious on the face of it, but as Feral Moon said there may be underlying reasons. If you suspect fraud you can, and probably should, report it. That can be done anonymously. Search 'reporting benefit fraud'
  • Stop_Watch
    Options
    You can report it but it is very doubtful anything will be done about it. That is just the way it is, these people are know exactly what to say to all authorities and there us thousands of them! It is also the reason the reported fraud rate is so low.
  • Afraid_of_Kittens
    Options
    Yes this is fraud on the face of it. To get a blue badge would indicate mobility or care needs. Beating on pheasant shoots would indicate perfect mobility as this would involve many miles walking. Video or photographic evidence is what is needed. Can't believe that they pay the beaters such a low 'wage' - those participating in the shoot would have paid a very large sum sometimes £1000 to £2000 per day. I would report it with dates times etc he is working - video evidence or photos would be helpful.
    I enjoy flower arranging, kittens, devil worship, the study of serial killers and their methods and road kill jigsaws.
  • Tabbytabitha
    Tabbytabitha Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes this is fraud on the face of it. To get a blue badge would indicate mobility or care needs. Beating on pheasant shoots would indicate perfect mobility as this would involve many miles walking. Video or photographic evidence is what is needed. Can't believe that they pay the beaters such a low 'wage' - those participating in the shoot would have paid a very large sum sometimes £1000 to £2000 per day. I would report it with dates times etc he is working - video evidence or photos would be helpful.

You don't get a blue badge for care needs.
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    It always intrigues me when these sort of questions are posted... for the OP to know this guy gets DLA, motability car, blue badge and exactly how much he earns per day... he must know him pretty well so why not just ask him directly instead of posting on an Internet forum where nobody can actually give you the answer!
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    My guess is that the OP is looking for support for his suspicion of benefit fraud. No matter how well he knows the person in question it's not realistic to ask them if they are making a fraudulent claim.
    On the basis of the information posted by the OP, my thoughts would be to report the suspicions. It's then down to the relevant department do decide whether to act on the report.
  • paragon909
    paragon909 Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    Options
    Monkeyjim wrote: »
    Good morning

I just want to clarify wether this is fraudulent or not, I know of a young gentlemen who is claiming benefits and DLA. He has been "unable" to work for quite a few years. However he is still able to get up at 6am to go o a paid days beating on a local pheasant shoot- the shoot starts at 8amand finishes at 1630 - involves negotiating treacherous uphill slippery terrain and walking up to 15 miles - beating through thick vegetation and woodland- he gets paid £25 per day and this occurs up to three times per week for four months of the year - now he makes an issue that he can't go on the book as he receives DLA and also has blue badge and receives a vehicle via the mobility scheme so he gets cash in hand -so is this fraud? It's very blatant there are photos all over social media of him doing the activity? I was just curious as my wife has DLA and has to declare a change in circumstance although she can't do ahuthing for herself. Thanks

Would you prefer he was depressed and got up like midday and watched this morning, jeremy kyle show etc.

Are you jealous of him or something, Feel the need to cause trouble for the guy! Leave him alone and mind your own business.
    DLA is not means tested, How do you know its DLA and not PIP hes getting?

These posts make my blood boil. Fraud is bad yes, But for your description it appears you're out to cause trouble for no reason.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure