Anyone else been refused tap water in restaurant

Comments

• We had a meal at a restaurant in Writtle, Essex, and even though we'd ordered a bottle of wine we had to pay 50p a glass for tap water!
    We've never been back!
  • I notice that my cinema (Cineworld) serves alcohol. Does anyone know if this means they must serve tap water? Thanks.
  • In the summer I went to Scarborough waterfront cafe with my family. I needed to breastfeed my 1 month old baby so ordered ice cream for the other 2 kids (which cost £5 each for 2 scoops!!!!!), 2 coffees and a glass of water for myself. (Have to have water whilst I'm feeding son otherwise I feel dehydrated)
    I was refused the tap water but told I could buy bottled water.
    We were also made to sit outside as they didn't allow buggies inside.. overall a horrible experience and will never be going back. Tried to complain to them but they had an answer for everything.
    Am surprised I wasn't told to leave because I was breastfeeding!! Still appealed that I couldn't have tap water whilst feeding my son though. Seems crazy in this day and age...
  • RikM
    RikM Posts: 811 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    tsmgo23 wrote: »
    I notice that my cinema (Cineworld) serves alcohol. Does anyone know if this means they must serve tap water? Thanks.

In NI? No. that rule isn't implemented over here. I don't know about the rest of the UK...
  • Cotta
    Cotta Posts: 3,667 Forumite
    How has a post about tap water gained such legs?
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    Cotta wrote: »

Water on the brain?
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • I've noticed a developing practice of being asked as you are seated whether you want '"still or sparkling water" even before the topic is broached. I take this to be a psychological trick to dissuade the punter from asking for free tap water as to do so would be to start the sentence with 'No' which some people may find difficult. I experienced this script in both Dublin and Oxford and so doubt this is a coincidence.

For those that are denied the free glass of water to which they are entitled, I suggest you publicize your experience on Trip Advisor.
  • Cotta wrote: »

I guess it just runs and runs!
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    Mr_Happy50 wrote: »
    I guess it just runs and runs!

It’s tapped into a deep well of resentment.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport