Mobile Mechanics Rates

Options
I am having my exhaust system replaced on my old Peugeot 205 GTI

The mechanic will remove the old system and replace it. I have supplied the parts.

I have an estimate, but not a comparison.

Any idea what is reasonable. I realise that it depends on how long the job takes.

Thanks

Comments

• wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    Options
    Try calling some local garages and see what they would charge. Might not be the easiest job for a mobile mechanic without a car lift.

FWIW I would suggest approx £40-60 per hour.
  • khcomp
    khcomp Posts: 207 Forumite
    Options
    It would be an hour at the most, barring problems, at a garage with a pit or a ramp. As has been said, not the easiest job for a mobile mechanic due to lack of clearance under the car. Local labour rates could be anything from £15 - £100 per hour, but I'd be squealing at anything over £50 to fit an exhaust. Most tyre & exhaust places & small garages wouldn't show a separate labour rate on top of the exhaust price if bought from them.
  • anon_private
    Options
    The mechanic quoted £50-£60, so it looks reasonable
  • EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    Just take it all to an exhaust place; they have the ramps and oxy-acetaline. It's not a job for a mobile mechanic.
  • anon_private
    Options
    Just take it all to an exhaust place; they have the ramps and oxy-acetaline. It's not a job for a mobile mechanic.

My mobile mechanic is quite happy to do the job. I took it to an 'exhaust place', got a quote, and left
  • EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    Well if you are happy with your mechanic, then why ask about it on here?
  • anon_private
    anon_private Posts: 171 Forumite
    Options
    Well if you are happy with your mechanic, then why ask about it on here?

Just read my question

'I have an estimate, but not a comparison.

'Any idea what is reasonable. I realise that it depends on how long the job takes.'
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    One lesson: Don't get an "estimate" - get a written quote.

Doesn't matter what the job is. Give the details: make, model, year.

An estimate is just that, estimated. A written quote is official and binding. There is usually a time limit of xx days, before the quote no longer applies.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why not just take it to the local exhaust places? They pay a lot less than you will for the parts. Are the parts you have used?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• anon_private
    Options
    Why not just take it to the local exhaust places? They pay a lot less than you will for the parts. Are the parts you have used?

At first I took the car to an 'exhaust place'. Their quote was far too expensive. I bought the system off e-bay with a massive saving, and after fitting, the overall saving will be large. I did the right thing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure