Disgraceful First Bus! Late bus caused docked wages!

My daughter was working, minimum wage, for a well known high street store for a Christmas job. She went out in good time to get her usual bus but it didn't come and it resulted in her being 15 mins late, her wages were reduced to reflect it.
She wrote to First Bus to complain and asked if they would compensate her, a few free bus tickets or something. Letter from them this morning says they don't give compensation when a service fails to operate as scheduled, they have offered apologies!

We know the bus service here is bad, they come at all times, not as scheduled but as they come every 15mins it's not a problem, however on this occasion no bus came for 30-45, so she was late.

Anyone else had compensation?

Comments

• Diamandis
    Diamandis Posts: 881
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    They will usually refund the cost of the journey.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,351
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    Diamandis wrote: »
    They will usually refund the cost of the journey.

Why would they do that if the bus got her from A to B.
  • linky
    linky Posts: 28
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Nope they have refused any compensation, yeah she did get there but she lost out when she got her wages
  • Diamandis
    Diamandis Posts: 881
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    photome wrote: »
    Why would they do that if the bus got her from A to B.

I know here they have a pomise if it's more than 20 minutes late they give you one day of free travel but think it depends on the area you live in whst rules they use for stuff like this. Ask them why? :money:
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]How much were her wages docked? Is it worth perusing a complaint for £2?[/FONT]
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    linky wrote: »
    My daughter was working, minimum wage, for a well known high street store for a Christmas job. She went out in good time to get her usual bus but it didn't come and it resulted in her being 15 mins late, her wages were reduced to reflect it.
    She wrote to First Bus to complain and asked if they would compensate her, a few free bus tickets or something. Letter from them this morning says they don't give compensation when a service fails to operate as scheduled, they have offered apologies!

We know the bus service here is bad, they come at all times, not as scheduled but as they come every 15mins it's not a problem, however on this occasion no bus came for 30-45, so she was late.

Anyone else had compensation?
    It's your daughter obligation to get to work on time. No-one elses.

You know the service is bad.
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The bus company can't help the state of the traffic and/or roadworks. Especially at xmas.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,351
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    Diamandis wrote: »
    I know here they have a pomise if it's more than 20 minutes late they give you one day of free travel but think it depends on the area you live in whst rules they use for stuff like this. Ask them why? :money:
    which bus company promises that?
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,008
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I missed a bus and as a result failed to buy a winning lottery ticket. How do I claim my million quid?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • linky
    linky Posts: 28
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yeah, I know it's her responsibility to get there and every other day she did by using the same bus, she was at the bus stop with a little old lady who was going to be late for her hair appointment and who was going to go into the store my daughter was working to tell her manager about the bus being late ��
    £2 is quite a lot to loose when on the minimum wage! She thought it was the least they could do to give her a free ticket? We are in South Lanarkshire, can't see any info 're the 20 min rule?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure