We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Keeping hens and ducks chat.

Comments

• Dizzy_Imp
    Dizzy_Imp Posts: 2,755 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edwink wrote: »
    ...With regards to being fed up with pancakes why not try what my husband calls Eggy Bread. I Think it is really called Fisherman's toast. Just scramble up some eggs with some salt and black pepper. Drop a slice of bread in it and when it is soaked in the egg take it out carefully so it does not break up and fry it on both sides until it is golden and crunchy. This can be served (as we do) with freshly sliced tomatoes on the top. All you need is one frying pan to cook this up. It is like fried bread and fried egg all in one. We always blot ours on kitchen paper before serving to make sure it is not too oily. Makes a really filling breakfast, lunch or supper.

Thanks for this suggestion - went down a storm with the kids. Have been requested to make it again, so I'm very grateful to you :)

We have decided to move our coop, run and enclosure to another area within the orchard as where they've been for the past few months is like a quagmire, despite copious amounts of straw. The groundwater level is still high and everything is so muddy. When things dry out properly (hopefully during the blazing hot summer) we are moving them again, this time into the paddock where there is a huge open barn that they can use as shelter, which has a dry floor. They will still be free range, just a bit further from the house. Still, I could do with the exercise :rotfl: Poor things are looking bedraggled with all this horrible weather.

Hope everyone had a good New Year and that resolutions haven't been broken just yet. I'm doing the dryathlon for January, so no wine, amaretto, cooking sherry or left-over Crimble chocolate liqueurs for me....it's gonna be a loooong month....
  • skipton
    skipton Posts: 676 Forumite
    I had a whopping 7 eggs yesterday from 9 hens (minus Cara). Nearly as good as the summer, must have been the sugar rush from a leftover Asda Doughnut they snaffled from the wildbirds.
  • Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Happy New Year, all!

This morning I decided to get a couple of rescue hens in spring. Can't wait!
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
  • Dizzy_Ditzy
    Dizzy_Ditzy Posts: 17,462 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    We *think* we've managed to solve the flooding issue by diverting the water away from the roof for the time being. The girls love, love, love having new straw in there to scratch around in :D of course, the fact that they are helping to soak up the water and mud while they're at it is pure bonus :rotfl:

Still getting pretty much 4-5 eggs a day from 5 girls :j

I need to figure out somewhere for them to dustbath because their usual spots have been full of water :( I think inside their house will be the best place as its the driest spot in the run
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert
  • Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We *think* we've managed to solve the flooding issue by diverting the water away from the roof for the time being. The girls love, love, love having new straw in there to scratch around in :D of course, the fact that they are helping to soak up the water and mud while they're at it is pure bonus :rotfl:

Still getting pretty much 4-5 eggs a day from 5 girls :j

I need to figure out somewhere for them to dustbath because their usual spots have been full of water :( I think inside their house will be the best place as its the driest spot in the run

Mud is getting worse by the day but I feel grateful that the house has been spared so far with all that rain, it is relentless....
    The chickens hardly come out of their house, the boy is the worst, he hates rain :rotfl:
    The ducks keep having their way and a lot of fun with what is left of my garden...
    still one hen egg every second day. Perfect timing as I'm on the last box of duck eggs from before they went on their well-deserved break.
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
  • edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 4 January 2016 at 10:14AM
    We are now getting the mud problem too. No where near the amount others who have been flooded have got so not grumbling in any way. The hens coop where they eat their breakfast before they are let out in to the garden is just mushy slop now. My lawn still looks like a lawn, just, with holes in it where the ducks have been sticking their beaks in looking for worms. I call the holes drainage.

It is so difficult to get all the cleaning done with this awful weather. The hens hut is cleaned once a week so we have managed that but their water bowls and feeding troughs are now looking like mud too. Wish the hens would not stand in their troughs to feed. We tried the bell shaped feeders but for some reason did not get on with them with so many hens. So we have 2 large feeding troughs made out of recycled guttering screwed to a log on each end. They are a great size especially for when we get more rescue hens because none of hens have to wait to feed.

Still getting a box of eggs a day which is great.

My ducks have not started laying again yet. Normally for us they start again mid to end of January.

How is everyone and their chooks and ducks. What is your egg situation like at the moment?

Dizzy - glad you managed to help your hens with straw because of the problems you are having. Also glad you enjoyed the Eggy bread.

Edwink x
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • Dizzy_Ditzy
    Dizzy_Ditzy Posts: 17,462 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    The only thing I can suggest for those with chronic mud problems is straw.

What I've noticed with mine is that they scratch and dig around in it, which helps soak up the excess mud and water and the smell too... At the moment I'm looking at replacing the straw every 2-3 days. I thought it would be really difficult to clean it up but it was so easy - rake it all up, pile it in a bucket and chuck in compost bin :)

The added bonus is that you have a drier surface to walk on too :cool:
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert
  • edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

Hi queen of cheap

Could you put a large container like a cat little tray in there for them. If you put some dried compost and sand in there they will love that. You could try and put an umbrella over it by sticking the handle in the ground and putting the tray underneath. Or some temporary tarpaulin over the tray. We did this when we first got some of our new girls because the older girls did not let them dust bathe in the dusty holes they had made.

Edwink x
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • ali-t
    ali-t Posts: 3,815 Forumite
    our enclosure is a total mudbath too - the rain has been relentless. I am going out this morning to put more straw/hay down. Most of them are moulting just now so their poor little bodies are partially exposed and they will be getting trenchfoot if this weather continues. Egg production is still high though - averaging 6 per day.
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Our garden is now water logged. Our garden is higher then the fields around us so we have lasted out well.

The girls don't seem to mind the rain as much as the wind. They hate the wind with a passion and tend to stay inside

Their new house is in situ and nearly completed. We have gravelled the area it's on so they won't be so muddy going in. It's very impressive. I'm so proud of hubby, he's never built a shed before and it's just perfect :)

He was putting soil over the fence onto the bank and came across one of next doors hens sitting on a nest of 14 eggs I guess she was clucky as she certainly didn't want to leave them and went for the neighbour when he came to get her

Our wee Honey has started to lay We are getting an egg every other day The other three stopped laying 6 weeks ago and have recently lost their head feathers so I'm guessing it will be a while before they start again. Still I'm grateful for the eggs I'm getting , supermarket eggs are tasteless, no matter what claims are made on the boxes
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback