MSE News: TSB offers bank switchers free £125, £5/mth cashback AND 3% interest

Comments

• YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Has anyone who has never received a bonus with TSB downgraded their classic plus accounts to classic yet?

then applied online for a new classic plus TSB account for their switching bonus and 5% cashback with contactless till 30 SEPT 2017?

How long after downgrading, did you leave it before applying for a new classic plus account?

Is the easiest way to downgrade by phone? what are peoples experience of this?
    At least one instance in this very thread. Maybe more, I haven't gone further back than the page before this one.
    has anyone also got a TSB platinum credit card? one of the conditions is to hold a classic plus account, well if I intend to downgrade there will be a short period where I will not have a classic plus account, how does that affect my credit card deal?
    Cashback will stop when you close the Plus account...and start again when you open the new Plus account. That's my understanding, having just read the cashback T&Cs. Is that what you thought too?
  • It looks like there is something wrong with this offer. I can't get through process because there is always error in the end and they ask me to start from the beginning.

Anybody have the same problem?
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • It looks like there is something wrong with this offer. I can't get through process because there is always error in the end and they ask me to start from the beginning.

Anybody have the same problem?
    yes i tried through MSE and money supermarket with error at the end, both times.

Have you looked into allowing cookies? I've googled how to allow them, but going into tools, options and finding cookies on firefox isn't an option.

So I am non the wiser, help needed folks.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    ... finding cookies on firefox isn't an option...
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/enable-and-disable-cookies-website-preferences

That said, I have no idea whether the problem you are experiencing has anything to do with cookies. And, personally, for all actions requiring tracking I use IE, despite FF being my preferred browser.
  • moneysavinggirl40
    moneysavinggirl40 Posts: 434
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 4 February 2017 at 8:13PM
    I don't think it is cookies either, I looked at that link too previously as a guide, I tried with chrome and ff , go through all the process only for TSB to say there's an error in your application. I'm not for IE and this comp isn't set with that browser. I'll try again tomorrow, failing that, I'll use someone elses computer.
  • I opened a TSB account a week ago, looking at the switching for the bonus.

I can't spot anything that prevents the opening a dummy account, setting up two direct debits (£1 a month to a charity say), and then switching that account to get the bonus.

Can anyone spot a flaw in this?
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    There is no any flaw. Many people do exactly this, for this bonus and other.
  • I'm really getting annoyed about opening this account. 3 different web browsers, 2 different laptops - errors. I don't understand it. They say I'm eligible for opening account I click continue and that's it... Error.

I think there is no point in calling them I'm afraid. They just ask me to clean cookies etc.

Maybe I can't open it because I'm Polish? But it's nowhere said it's for British people only.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,096
    Forumite
    bigadaj wrote: »
    Closed a classic plus account last Sunday, by letter as they insisted on a signature, no reason given. Applied for the new account on Friday, all opened ok, also opened a Santander account mid week in anticipation for switching.

Currently waiting for debit card and pin.

Both accounts were opened nearly instantaneously.

I'm almost tempted to go for this TSB offer just to prove I can see it through! It seems to involve more jiggery-pokery than I've had to use before.

I switched my second Santander account with its two DDs to M&S a few weeks ago. My clutch of DDs on my main Santander account gives me more or less enough cash-back to cover the £5 monthly charge. And I don't want to stop using my remaining Santander account as I have scores of payees etc linked to it.

But the bit I've highlighted has given me an idea, so TY! I could open another Santander current account (the Everyday Current Account seems perfect - is this what you used?) and transfer across two of the DDs which yield only a few pence in cash-back, losing very little.

Once that has settled and I'm happy the DDs are set up, I could then start the TSB routine.

OR could I switch the second Santander account without the DDs and get them set up with TSB afterwards?
  • schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,096
    Forumite
    I think this means the DDs have to be set up on the account being switched.

"To qualify for the offer you must:

b. As part of the switch transfer all active credits and debits which must include a minimum of 2 active Direct Debits from your old account and close it."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure