PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

My home is a mess

Comments

• dinx1972
    dinx1972 Posts: 1,885 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Right, being on strike last week seemed to convey the message to the household that I had had enough and the HOTEL CHEZ DINX was no longer in business!!!

So told the whole family OH included that no-one is leaving the house this weekend, or putting on a TV or any other electronic device until the whole house is clean:eek::eek::eek:.

You can imagine the fall out:rotfl::rotfl: it was nuclear, however I have managed to gut and put back together the lounge with OH and DS2 acting as my fetchers and rehomers (DS1 still in bed:mad:, but probably best place for him IYKWIM:D).

We have all had a 20 minuted break and it is now time to tackle the downstairs cloakroom/utility room including airing cupboard:(.

Cat - I think your DD might need a little reminder (like my DS's did this week :D) that respect and courtesy is a two way street and that as mums we have earned the right to be treated this way. Good grief who does she think wiped her backside all the while she was in nappies, and mopped her brow when she was sick, yes these jobs go with being a mum and we do them without question or hesitation, after all it's not called unconditional love for nothing:rotfl:. BUT she is no longer a child now, she is an adult, so if she is not prepared to show respect and courtesy then that has consequences! At age 3 that probably meant no sweets:rotfl:, but as you say now that may mean no washing or cooking:rotfl:. At the end of the day, you know your DD best, and deep down you know the best way to achieve the behaviour you wish to see.

Sorry if the above seems like a rant or offends anyone, not meant to be, just my opinion based on my experiences. I'll just quietly shuffle off to the utility room now:o.
    :j DEBT FREE FROM 01/01/11 :j
    Declutter 2012 - 191, 2013 - 26
  • bearcub
    bearcub Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    I do hope whatever it is, is where you think it is, IKYKWIM, jps!

Dinx, I like your style! :rotfl:

I find it highly amusing that our DD2 is now running around after her bf, trying to get him to help. What goes around, comes around and all that! Lovely guy, but was too spoiled by his mum, although I don't think he's quite as bad as DD2 makes out.
  • dinx1972
    dinx1972 Posts: 1,885 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Am getting slightly concerned that if I carry on like this I will have to transfer to the flylady thread:eek::rotfl:, although I did originate from there to here as I need to sort the mess before I can clean:o.

DS1 is out of bed:T:j:j, just.

Have escaped from the downstairs loo/utility room/airing cupboard and it is all sorted. Also found loads of part started projects that need to be finished, but not today;)!

Off to the shed now to rehome some things from airing cupboard.
    :j DEBT FREE FROM 01/01/11 :j
    Declutter 2012 - 191, 2013 - 26
  • bearcub
    dinx1972 wrote: »
    Have escaped from the downstairs loo/utility room/airing cupboard and it is all sorted.
    They didn't lock you in to stop you nagging, did they? :eek: ;)

Part-done projects can be exciting, but they can also be a bugbear if they've been hanging around for a long time - projects that seemed a good idea at the time, but maybe not anymore.

I've done fun stuff today, tidied up the back garden a bit. Atm, it doesn't look a lot different, but I know I'll notice the difference when I pull back the curtains tomorrow morning. :)
  • Hi Messies!
    Welcome Dinx and Nat and Betony.
    Cat - my dd was a nightmare in her late teens too. Now she has 4 littlies of her own, she`s a treasure (but I still don`t think I could actually LIVE with her!) Do what you have to do, only you know how she`ll react, more to the point only you know how much you can take!

I`ve done `fun` stuff today too. Speaking of daughters, it`s DD`s birthday today, so after hinting my intentions to her OH the other day, to tell her to eat out of freezer this weekend.. I`ve been out shopping...she had asked me not to get her a pressie yet as they`re half packed ready for a move, and this also means they`re saving hard... so while she was out doing her frugal shop, I was out getting her a `party` - 2 M`s indian takeaway meal for 2 packs, 2 fresh `Ms`pizzas, garlic doughballs, fresh fruit flan, 2 tins squirty cream, (fresh strawbs & blueberries, salad stuff from farmshop), 2 packs chocolate cornflake cakes, a smarties traybake choc cake, 2 packs popcorn, mega bag assorted crisps, bottle of wine, bottle of sparkling apple juice for the kids, paper cups/plates/serviettes (Peppa Pig!) balloons, bubbles, kazoos - and 3 kids` tiaras (her 2 daughters as well as DD!). Final bit of daftness, a `pin the tail on the donkey` game, it was only £1.50, as it was her favourite when she was little. Delivered before she got home in fruit boxes cadged from farmshop, top box loosely covered in Meercat birthday paper. Message on birthday card echoes content of boxes - still my lovely little girl!
    I`ve really enjoyed myself this afternoon! She won`t be home till about 5pm, and her OH has managed to keep this a complete surprise.
    I`ve now got a week off to try to get something done in the house, too. I`m PURRING here...
    Lump of beef smelling nice in slow-cooker, but I forgot to get Yorkies so nipping out for some (co-op, nearest here) and a lottie ticket. (Tax on optimism but never mind...)
    Last 2 days at work were lovely, btw, busy but good. Thanks for your kind words, Bearcub, but it`s not medals we deserve on the wards, it`s decent staffing levels and less !!!!!!!!/red tape - more to the point, that`s what the patients deserve! (I`m sure Nat would agree on this one).
    Off to get yorkies now, then make a fire & open wine box....
  • sonastin
    sonastin Posts: 3,210 Forumite
    Wow Emm - that sounds like an awesome present! I am definitely one who believes that presents should be something that you want but wouldn't buy for yourself - a little bit of thought counts for so much more than an expensive gift.

I've had one of those great productive days that don't actually achieve what I set out to achieve but do so much more. Had a lovely lie in this morning and was allowed to stay in bed till I woke up naturally. Usually spend half the morning in my dressing gown but got showered straight away this morning. Then put the BM on because we only had a pathetic lonely crust left. Got dressed, stuck a load of laundry on, toasted the pathetic crust, took OH out a cup of tea (he's doing brickwork outside this evening). Spent about 10 minutes staring at the loft full of boxes trying to figure out where to start looking for knitting needles then decided s*d it they're only a couple of quid. I know its not very OS but I'll gladly pay 10 times that not to have to go rooting through the stuff in the loft at the moment!

So then I went off to buy wool & needles. Its a new shop that I haven't been in yet - branch of it in the city is an awesome haberdashery with a bit of a wool section so wasn't sure what this one would stock. Pleasantly surprised to see just how much knitting stuff they had in there loads & loads to choose from. Also went to toolstation with OH's shopping list and called at the greengrocers to get a bit extra veg to see me through to the end of the month so I make it through Feb's grocery challenge under budget.

Made a yucky HM soup for lunch, did 2 more loads of laundry and hung it all out, took OH more tea and ended up stacking a couple of dozen bricks on his scaffold for him. Mixed the batter for tonights toad-in-the-hole and then finally sat down with a cup of tea for me and put the 'puter on.

So I've gone absolutely nowhere near the ironing basket. If anything, the situation is now worse because there's 3 more laundry loads happily drying off and getting closer to adding to the "ironing" crisis! Might just have another cup of tea and then see if I can muster the energy to tackle the ever growing clothes mountain.

Must. Resist. New. Knitting. Project. (until after dinner at least!)
  • jpscloud
    jpscloud Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    edited 25 February 2012 at 6:50PM
    How lovely Emm, your daughter is one lucky girl! Hope you enjoy your evening.

You've had a brilliant day sonastin well done!

I've done the stuff on my list, a bit half-heartedly but it's done.
    I believe in the freedom of spinach and the right to arm bears.

Weight loss journey started January 2015
    -32lbs
  • bearcub
    Wonderful prezzie, Emms! :T I can imagine that you're feeling really pleased with yourself, and no wonder. I hope your D loves it, and has a good laugh over it all. I know you all need less management and more hands-on in your work. Shame the powers-that- be can't see what's so obvious. :(

I think your shopping trip to the wool shop is like mine to a craft shop, sonastin. Great to treat yourself occasionally, isn't it?

I came across two lovely handmade patchwork cushions today that I just knew our DD1 would love, so I bought them as a cheer-up prezzie for her, as she's be a bit stressed recently.
  • well hello everyone :) and hello newbies :)

today i have:
    done dishes (yes all of them including the slowcooker)
    wiped down sink
    wiped down counters
    sorted rubbish out
    cleaned cooker (then broke it)
    cleaned george forman grill (then broke it)
    cleaned cat tray

tidied up living room
    threw out rubbish
    washed 2 loads of clothes
    put clothes on airers
    folded dried clothes

so yes .... today i have once again almost killed myself whilst cleaning! :( figure this out, i was cleaning the health grill, the health grill hasnt been used for over a month, hasnt been plugged in.. i scrubbed it all, then went to do the underneath and BANG!! :( big blue flash and left me half deaf for 10 minutes .... :(

i wouldnt have bloody cleaned it if i knew it was gonna break

also ... i have broken my cooker ... yup!! broked!! this has happened before when ive cleaned it and its refused to work afterwards, then a few days later has suddenly started working

so im gonna leave it for a while and just pray pray pray and hope that it sorts itself out like last time

ladies ... this cleaning malarky is so dangerous (remember the wardrobe incident?!!) think we need to turn this thread into "dont clean you might nearly kill yourself" thread :)

honestly .... is it just me? it must be ... i wasnt doing anything wrong, completely sensible and yeah ..... my household items are trying to kill me!!

xxx
  • bearcub
    Oh Kitty, you're a liability! I'm glad you're ok, though, if a little hard of hearing. ;) Nasty stuff electricity!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure