Paying off defaulted debts no longer on credit file

Hi

I have several debts with various DCA's
2 x debts with 1st credit
1 x debt with Cabot
1 x debt with Lowell

All are over 6 years old and no longer on credit file, but are paid a small token payment through a DMP from Stepchange.

We sent off the CCA letters in August and September, and only got responses from Cabot and Lowell, who both indicated that they need to go back to the original lender to get originals. Have had nothing back from them since September/October.

Had nothing back from 1st credit at all, they did write to us about three years ago offering us discounts of 80%, am guessing this was when they passed the six year mark and dropped off the credit file.

Any suggestions as to what we should do now ?

Would Stepchange agree to reducing our DMP payment to these debts (we have a few other enforceable debts) to spur them into action or is this a bad idea ? What is likely to happen ?

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,848 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Well first off i`d stop paying them completely as they have not responded to your CCA request.

They are unenforceable until they do respond.

I would not do anything else until they can confirm they either do or do not, hold compliant paperwork.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • See I would like to do this, but they are with StepChange and I don't want to rock the boat with them at this very moment as we are negotiating paying off the mortgage shortfall and still maintaining payments.

From what I have read, StepChange only want you to stop payments if you are offering F&F sums. I'm not too keen to offer F&Fs to companies not providing paperwork, but then would they ever go away? Do they write to you to tell you they no longer are seeking payment for the debt if they cant produce the credit agreement ? Or do you just sit wondering if you will hear from them again ?

We had replies from Lowell & Cabot saying they were contacting the original companies, but that was a few months ago now. What should we do about those ? Need to keep a clean sheet to apply for a mortgage and dont want to get in even more of a pickle, but these dropped off the credit file ages ago anyway.

Help
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport