PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Property in Conservation Area - works done without permission

Options
Hi

Property we are buying is in a conservation area. I gather permission is needed for things that would be permitted development in most properties.

If, six years ago, the property in question was double glazed and permission was not sought, can this come back to bite us? Is this the kind of situation where indemnity insurance is helpful? I've seen that mentioned on here before but not sure if it is applicable in this how if scenario. Can it be quite expensive?

Am slightly concerned what else the vendors may have done that may have needed permission...

Comments

• Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Depends on the type of conservation area and the local council.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If, six years ago, the property in question was double glazed and permission was not sought, can this come back to bite us?

Potentially, yes, if only because annoying buyers/lenders are going to start demanding paperwork from you. And are you sure it was six years ago?
    Is this the kind of situation where indemnity insurance is helpful?
    Yes.
    Can it be quite expensive?
    Pretty cheap for this sort of thing. And the cost ought to be the seller's problem anyway.
    Am slightly concerned what else the vendors may have done that may have needed permission...
    Well, are there any clues?
  • GoldenShadow
    Options
    Sellers said 'it was freezing first winter so we thought can never do this again and got the windows done before the next one' which makes it six years assuming that's the truth.

There is an article in place in the conservation area as I was in touch with the council about a potential change we'd consider making, so in actual fact I don't think indemnity insurance would work now I've done more googling, I've already flagged the issue I think. Didn't realise at the time.

Estate agent isn't around for a few days now so I can't get info from sellers.

I hope not re other clues but I didn't think the windows were an issue until I fell into that one. The vendors talked about having spoken to the council about another change so I didn't expect them to have failed to consult them re windows...
  • nicmyles
    nicmyles Posts: 294 Forumite
    Options
    The thing is that, realistically, the council will never notice if you put double glazing in so I can understand why they wouldn't have bothered to ask permission. The only people likely to complain would be a local conservation society or somesuch and they probably wouldn't notice either. For any larger change, you're best off going through the normal channels.

If you've brought the breach to the council's attention, you've possibly created a problem for your vendor which they may not be best pleased about.
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It won't be possible to get an indemnity insurance policy if anyone has informed the council that this work has been done.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,032 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I've got friends who are currently battling Historic Scotland about Everest double glazing installed more than 20 years ago! HS are insisting that they be changed. Dukes are up!
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Gers wrote: »
    I've got friends who are currently battling Historic Scotland about Everest double glazing installed more than 20 years ago! HS are insisting that they be changed.
    That'll be a listed building though, rather than merely one in a Conservation Area?
  • GoldenShadow
    Options
    Made me chuckle re my vendors might not be happy. You can't expect to sell a period house in a conservation area and for the buyers parting with a large amount of cash not to investigate quite what those restrictions entail. Their agent told me they had got permission for the works so I enquired about further possible changes which is when I've been told no one at the property has applied for permission to do anything since the 80's.
  • nicmyles
    nicmyles Posts: 294 Forumite
    edited 21 March 2017 at 2:13PM
    Options
    Their agent told me they had got permission for the works so I enquired about further possible changes which is when I've been told no one at the property has applied for permission to do anything since the 80's.

Well, if that's all you did then it won't have caused them any problems - unless you mentioned that they'd changed the windows? If you did, why would you have needed to mention that to find out what the restrictions were?

Look at it this way: if someone came round to your house and said: "Hi, I'd like to enter into a significant business transaction with you that entails patience and trust on both sides. By the way, I've dobbed you into the council for a minor conservation breach. Now, about my offer..."

You'd tell them to do one, wouldn't you?
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    Options
    We have an article 4 directive on our conservation area. The article 4 directive means that you have to get planning permission for any changes that affect the front of the house. However the council turn a blind eye a lot of the time and people have put in double glazing. We have secondary glazing at the front. You can't really copy the wooden window design in modern glazing and we like the look of the house with the original windows. The directive also means that you need planning permission to make changes to the drive or colour the house is painted so depending on how strict your local council is will depend on whether they will allow the double glazing to stay. It also depends on when the directive started so if the date is after the double glazing then you can't change that but if it is before then the previous owners have broken the rules about getting planning permission. It depends on what the rules are about how long ago changes can be made without planning permission under the rules on conservation areas with directives.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure