SportKa MOT advisories question - oil leak

1272829303133»

Comments

• Joe_Horner wrote: »
    Sad day for the thread, but for the best in the long run.

Like in any relationship there can come a point where the aggravation leaves you resenting them & it's usually better to part on good terms before that happens ;)

:rotfl:

Thanks everyone for your help. Has been a great journey.

I saw her ride off into the sunset with someone else..someone who likes rusty kangaroos. :p
  • AliceBanned
    AliceBanned Posts: 3,048 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    So I am considering a Suzuki Swift or Swift Sport. :cool:

One locally for £1600 with RAC warranty but it has 114000 miles on the clock! Another one for 2,200 but has about 57k on the clock.

I am still pretty broke but my bank seems to let me keep increasing my overdraft, so I may get a car by the end of November or soon after.

Any advice on that make and model would be appreciated. It is always scarey buying from these dealers but I am wiser after my other garage experiences. Private sales are also scarey and some of the dealers seem to be lowering prices - I think it is a buyers' market. I was looking at the Mini, which I would love but because it is too much of a luxury for me at the moment. I am also anxious about damage as my previous car was keyed. I don't want anything too valuable right now, it is too risky for me. Thanks for any advice. I'm posting this on the same thread because some of you know me.:)
  • AliceBanned
    Mmmm I am continuing to save and delay buying a car. It feels quite good - doing a bit of research, the adventure of buses and going to different places than before socially because I need a car to get to the old places. :A

That is easy to say when I know that I will get a car at some point - but I am in the swing of repaying debts at the moment so don't want to spoil that, so I am using (for once in my life) patience and discipline to forego things that I want rather than need.

I was reading reviews on What Car? yesterday and realised that believe it or not the Sportka spec I had (same as StreetKa) is not such an easy act to follow. I also realise I find it extremely difficult to buy a car with my head rather than heart.

I am trying to think with my head and look at Hyundai I10, an old VW Polo or Up! or a Skoda Fabia, Citroen C1 etc. Yet in some many reviews there was no sense of FUN in driving any of these. So I looked at the StreetKa review:

http://www.whatcar.com/ford/ka/hatchback/used-review/

Reading the first paragraph I realise it was in so many ways a good car and suited me down to the ground. Yet I am now looking at (to tide me over for a year until my mortgage is sorted) Nissan Micra. :(

Another option would be to not buy a car for a few months longer and then go for a Mini, which seems like one of the few cars that would give me that buzz for the budget I have. Or an old MX5 but that isn't so practical..

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Other options I have considered ( I am talking 5-10 year old cars): VW Golf, Mitsubishi Colt, Vauxhall Corsa, Renault Twingo, Peugeot 207, Fiesta, Fiat Panda.

Buying with my heart might be Abarth 500, Mini but not too old as so many have high mileages, and the newer models seem better.
  • AliceBanned
    Just a quick update - I finally decided and have bought an 06 plate Hyundai Coupe. Love driving it and it actually turns heads.

Lovely design. A good upgrade from the SportKa and let's hope it is a reliable one as there wasn't much service history.

At least I've found the right make and model for me.:)
  • Rain_Shadow
    Rain_Shadow Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    Just a quick update - I finally decided and have bought an 06 plate Hyundai Coupe. Love driving it and it actually turns heads.

Lovely design. A good upgrade from the SportKa and let's hope it is a reliable one as there wasn't much service history.

At least I've found the right make and model for me.:)

Nice. Which engine is it?
    You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose.
  • AliceBanned
    Nice. Which engine is it?

Thanks Rain Shadow. 2L. It took me a few days to get used to. At first I was missing my SportKa and thought I'd made a terrible mistake. But the driving position needed slight alternation and I needed feedback from friends. It was a slight gamble (because so many unknowns about it) and cost me £1300 including £50 for new MOT. Not a lot but I had initial terror of more outlay. My friend said even if say for example the clutch went it is such a good car it would be worth spending on it.
    I might be able to upload a pic. It's silver.
  • Rain_Shadow
    Rain_Shadow Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    Thanks Rain Shadow. 2L. It took me a few days to get used to. At first I was missing my SportKa and thought I'd made a terrible mistake. But the driving position needed slight alternation and I needed feedback from friends. It was a slight gamble (because so many unknowns about it) and cost me £1300 including £50 for new MOT. Not a lot but I had initial terror of more outlay. My friend said even if say for example the clutch went it is such a good car it would be worth spending on it.
    I might be able to upload a pic. It's silver.

Sounds good and that is a decent price. I looked at buying one new in 2006, nice car but the dealer's attitude put me off. Finished up buying a Mazda RX-8. Hope you get many good years/miles from it. I have a feeling we won't be seeing you quite as often as we did with the Ka. ;)
    You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose.
  • AliceBanned
    :D

No corrosion showing up at this stage..;)
  • :D

No corrosion showing up at this stage..;)

If you intend on keeping the car for a while, make sure if you spot any signs of rust starting, anywhere, address them immediately. These Hyundais do rust like nobody's business - I had one a few years ago for the wife, and when I took the plastic sill covers off I ended up replacing a large section of the rear of the sill itself which was full of holes.
  • AliceBanned
    Hi

I just popped by because I realise after two years of motoring the Coupe needs more TLC (and an MOT coming up). Hello again.

I know it is terrible but I have been on a budget so all I've had done in all that time is new cam belt (just in case because no service history), new battery, two front tyres (both punctures/damage) and oil and filter change.

I should change the thread to discuss the Coupe but thought some of you who helped me before might still be on this forum and there would be a bit of continuity.

Anyway for now I am on this thread. My budget is better as I changed jobs nearly two years ago.:)

I have been reading the owner's manual in more detail and as I am doing around 10k a year (car needed for work now) I think quite a few things will need checking/replacing. I am still trying to keep costs down and don't know for certain of a reputable garage nearby. I am sure there are some but I don't want to go in clueless and encourage them to get me to spend unnecessarily. I am quite short of time but willing to try a few things.Also short of space (residential car park, no driveway). According to the manual I would need:

new drive belt
    Fuel filter inspection
    inspect crankcase ventilation hose
    inspect air cleaner filter
    Possible inspect or replace spark plugs depending on which type (how can I tell which type?)
    Possible valve clearance - or if not after 8000 miles (I am at 110,000 now)
    inspect cooling system
    replace coolant
    inspect brake pipes, hoses and connections
    replace brake fluid
    replace clutch fluid

inspect rear brake
    inspect linings and cylinders
    replace rear wheel bearings
    inspect suspension and steering and front suspension ball joints
    inspect brake pads

MOT is booked in at council testing centre in mid Feb. Would it be best to get it serviced before then (full service?). I am just concerned as the car had almost no service history. I have done around 20,000 miles in it now. I was just going to chance it, hope it gets through the MOT (I am checking all I can; lights, tyres, wipers etc properly) and then find a mechanic to service it. But is all the above necessary? If i go for a service do I just take it in and tell them I have little service history and they will have to let me know what's needed?

I could check some of these things myself later on if I can work out how - how feasible is this for a newbie to all things mechanical? I find it interesting but need to spend the time on it and don't have much confidence with cars but would like to learn more rather than just hand it over to someone else to do it all.

By the way it is a good solid car to drive, great for the M25 but for some of my journey I may opt for an automatic when it comes to a change in the future. I have found it is not thirsty especially on the motorway, is comfortable for my back and a nice cruiser overall. So happy to stick with it and give it TLC at least for a couple of years but the longer the better. Only one spot of rust (tiny) on driver's door but can't see any on the sills. I still occasionally miss the nippiness of a smaller car but this one has more comfort and I'm not getting any younger. Basically is great for long journeys. The aircon is amazing and I really appreciate it now we have heatwaves in the summer; so important. Any advice much appreciated. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure