How to make up the difference between benefits and bills

My question is simple: How is one expected to survive off benefits when they do not pay the full amount of the expenditure they're meant to cover?

Our rent is £750 PCM, our housing benefit is £607.64 as per the local government maximum. We are entitled to and need the three bedrooms in our house, 1 adult son who works a low paid job and gives us a bit of housekeeping, one teenaged son in full time education.
We have a dog and two cats so moving is made difficult as few landlords will accept pets, plus if you don't have any money how do you pay for moving costs, deposit etc etc?

Our council tax is £1419.46 P/A, of which £1102.57 is covered by Council Tax Support. This leaves approx £168.77 PCM shortfall between rent and council tax.

We receive PIP as my wife is disabled, Standard Daily Living and Enhanced Mobility which is used for her Motability car. I receive Carer's Allowance and Income Support.

We moved here just over four years ago, I was working full time until Dec 2015 but now I am her full time carer.

I'm looking into a Discretionary Housing Payment but my main question is, how are we meant to make ends meet? I asked this question during a call about benefits to the powers that be, and they just said no-one gets the full amount.

Comments

• KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,603 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    I'd suggest you need to do two things, decrease your outgoings and increase the amount your adult son pays you.

What kind of budgeting and tracking of expenses/outgoings do you do?

Often these exercises are very illuminating and allow you to stretch a fixed income further.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Do you actually have to care for your wife full time. Im sure you can earn up to a certain amounr before it affects benefits
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • KxMx wrote: »
    I'd suggest you need to do two things, decrease your outgoings and increase the amount your adult son pays you.

What kind of budgeting and tracking of expenses/outgoings do you do?

Often these exercises are very illuminating and allow you to stretch a fixed income further.

Spot on there. Either that or tell him you're downsizing the house and he will have to find somewhere else to live. You should be looking at £300/400 a month from him, as that is the minimum he would have to pay for a room in a house share.
    McKneff wrote: »
    Do you actually have to care for your wife full time. Im sure you can earn up to a certain amounr before it affects benefits

There is always a job you can do to earn some money. Even a paper round will bring in £15/30 a week - and many pensioners do this job to earn extra.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • bunglebus
    bunglebus Posts: 19 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Correct on both counts - son pays £30 a week, and to be fair often buys his own food/stays at his girlfriend's so doesn't cost much (mind you I was paying £120 a month out of £100 a week in 1994). I could do some part time work.

However my main question is more how are we expected to make ends meet if neither of the above was feasible? It just seems odd that the benefits are not the same as the outgoings that we must pay. More questioning the system than my own circumstances.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,719 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    The system would say that you don't need a three bedroom house. Your two sons could share a room if needs must.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Bogalot
    Bogalot Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    bunglebus wrote: »
    Correct on both counts - son pays £30 a week, and to be fair often buys his own food/stays at his girlfriend's so doesn't cost much (mind you I was paying £120 a month out of £100 a week in 1994). I could do some part time work.

However my main question is more how are we expected to make ends meet if neither of the above was feasible? It just seems odd that the benefits are not the same as the outgoings that we must pay. More questioning the system than my own circumstances.

Why is it not feasible to make ends meet, are you paying off debts? If you added up your income it would be more than many working households get. As suggested above, complete a statement of affairs and look at where you can make cutbacks.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    edited 12 March 2017 at 10:20AM
    The limits on HB etc are there in part to stop landlords constantly increasing rent in the knowledge that it will be paid by the LA. The OP does need to look at every aspect of income and expenditure, with particular emphasis on the rent paid by the son and the possibility of part time work. There is a small disregard on earnings so there isn't a huge amount of wiggle room in that area.
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    don't you claim child benefit?
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    bunglebus wrote: »

It is not how much he costs you in terms of food. He is costing you the rent on a 3 bed house which has to be more than £30 per week. Either he starts to pay you a realistic share of the rent or he finds his own place allowing you to downsize.
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    So you get as a household:
    PIP
    Income Support
    Carers Allowance
    Child Tax Credits (assuming FTNAE)
    Child Benefit (assuming FTNAE)
    Housing Benefit
    Countil Tax Support
    Wages

But that's not sufficient?