Making chicken feed of my mortgage

Comments

• Not much happening here

Went to the hairdressers - a 70 mile round trip - but popped in and had lunch with my dad beforehand :)

Had to give him some financial advice - he has 4 savings accounts totalling £10,000+ (including £5,000 in an ISA) earning between 0.1-0.3% interest before tax :mad:

Sausage, barley & kale stew for dinner (again)

Only 2 eggs today - bunch of !!!!!!!!!!s :rotfl:
    Mortgage at highest (April 2008): ~£195,000
    Mortgage-free: January 2021
    Retired: June 2022 (186 months early!)
  • Hmmm MSE doesn't like freel0aders either :rotfl:
  • Have had a very lazy morning (apart from 4 loads of washing) and now annoyed with myself that I haven't done half the things I intended to :mad:

HM scotch broth and rolls for lunch

This afternoon/evening we are going to Wembley for the NFL game. Mr MWC paid for the tickets ages ago so I only need to pay the rail fares. Leaving as late as possible in order to avoid any unnecessary spending! We'll need to buy drinks but hoping to be able to smuggle in some snacks :D
  • Arrived at Wembley just in time for a few words from Boris... I love Boris, he's hilarious :rotfl:

Spent £36 on rail fare, £5-something on refreshments

4 eggs today - best I can hope for as a third chicken has decided to moult
  • Absolutely no MSE activity going on here... 8 days after spending ~£50 at Sainsburys and 3 days after spending ~£70 at Waitrose, I've spent another £47 in Morrisons... I'm trying to use money-off coupons and spending a fortune... I really must try harder :mad:

Left over scotch broth for dinner and The Girls laid 3 eggs
  • I got all excited because I thought I had a NSD today... and then I remembered I spent £70.25 online earlier :doh:I am soooo rubbish at this (but I did get free P&P and a free gift :))

Today I:

-Went for walk at lunchtime - must try and do this more often or I won't see daylight until spring
    -Didn't buy anything from the vending machine
    -Sold 1 box of eggs
    -Puy lentil, spinach and bacon soup for dinner
    - 2 eggs today

Woohoo pay day tomorrow - it's been a long month
  • chirpchirp
    chirpchirp Posts: 1,983 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I agree, definitely a long month. That's the problem of pay day falling on a weekend, you get pay a few days early and then the next month seems so long!

Are you keeping a spreadsheet of all your grocery spends? They add up so quickly. I seem to get bread and milk which is near £3 at least 3x a week. Since focusing on the grocery challenge idea, at least I spend £3 rather than £19.
  • Hurrah I did it - today was a NSD :j:j:j
    I didn't buy anything from a charity cake stall :o and The Girls have no green leafy treats to eat tomorrow but nevermind both get enough from me normally.

Today I:

- went for a 40 minute walk at lunchtime
    - cursed incompetent colleagues and suppliers... a lot!
    - made spiced carrot & butterbean soup with frizzled shallots for dinner

Only 2 eggs again today but they were beautiful :D 1 pale green and 1 white

Hi chirpchirp - I don't have any spreadsheets *looks around nervously, fully expecting to be lynched by all other MFWs* but agree that it would be a good idea to record all my grocery spends. A couple of months ago I was very good at going to the supermarket with a list and only buying items on the list but then, like you, saw things on special offer that I didn't need but use and then from there on it was a downward spiral...
    I currently have vouchers for £10 off £75 and £20 off £75 from Waitrose online so I think I will use them to stock the storecupborad for a couple of months and then I will go back to shopping in person.
  • Hurrah I did it - today was a NSD :j:j:j

Well done and here's a drink (or two) on me!! :beer::beer:

ickle
    Total OPs 2012 - 2019 £39744.75
    Target 2020 £18500/£18500
    01/05/2020 MORTGAGE FREE
    MFiT-T4 #03 MFW2019 #3
  • chirpchirp
    chirpchirp Posts: 1,983 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hurrah I did it - today was a NSD :j:j:j
    I didn't buy anything from a charity cake stall :o and The Girls have no green leafy treats to eat tomorrow but nevermind both get enough from me normally.

Today I:

- went for a 40 minute walk at lunchtime
    - cursed incompetent colleagues and suppliers... a lot!
    - made spiced carrot & butterbean soup with frizzled shallots for dinner

Only 2 eggs again today but they were beautiful :D 1 pale green and 1 white

Hi chirpchirp - I don't have any spreadsheets *looks around nervously, fully expecting to be lynched by all other MFWs* but agree that it would be a good idea to record all my grocery spends. A couple of months ago I was very good at going to the supermarket with a list and only buying items on the list but then, like you, saw things on special offer that I didn't need but use and then from there on it was a downward spiral...
    I currently have vouchers for £10 off £75 and £20 off £75 from Waitrose online so I think I will use them to stock the storecupborad for a couple of months and then I will go back to shopping in person.

My spreadsheet for this is very basic

Date amount spent where

It's really kept me focused since I started doing this.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback