Pre-existing- annual insurance - new incident

Hi
my dad is 81 and travels a lot since my mum died. He has an annual policy with Insure and Go and has health screening. His angina is declared but he has had another attack (he hasn't had one for a long time) and is currently in hospital for the night.
My question is, do we have to inform the insurance company that this has happened? He is due to fly to Tenerife in 3 weeks and we don't want his insurance to be invalid.
Thanks in advance :)
Doing my best :doh:

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Probably, check the small print of his policy.

Hope he feels better soon.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm sure somebody posted up something in a recent thread about how, when your policy starts, the insurance company is deemed have accepted the risk of incidents happening during the term of insurance and calculated their premium accordingly, so they cannot invalidate your insurance.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,572 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I'm sure somebody posted up something in a recent thread about how, when your policy starts, the insurance company is deemed have accepted the risk of incidents happening during the term of insurance and calculated their premium accordingly, so they cannot invalidate your insurance.

That's certainly the case with my policy. DH had some tests last year, we phoned to tell them but they said it didn't affect that year's cover.

But I'm not with Insure & Go so OP's dad needs to check with his own company.
  • leylandsunaddict
    leylandsunaddict Posts: 1,923 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 August 2017 at 1:50PM
    You do need to tell them. I'm sure if you read the policy it will tell you that.

My annual policy says

"Changes in health

After you have paid for this policy you must tell us if your health changes."

When you buy a policy the risk covered is against the conditions disclosed at the time. Any new ones have to be disclosed as well.

I rang to declare I'd had a excision biopsy but was told as long as it came back clear they didn't need to know. Tests that come back clear don't usually need declaring because they're not a 'condition', it's only if something shows up that it needs to be declared.
  • Hi
    my dad is 81 and travels a lot since my mum died. He has an annual policy with Insure and Go and has health screening. His angina is declared but he has had another attack (he hasn't had one for a long time) and is currently in hospital for the night.
    My question is, do we have to inform the insurance company that this has happened? He is due to fly to Tenerife in 3 weeks and we don't want his insurance to be invalid.

Thanks everybody, I have downloaded his policy and it states that he must inform them if he has a new medication, which he does. I will get him on to it as soon as he is up to it.
    :T
    Doing my best :doh:
  • katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 August 2017 at 5:08PM
    Hi
    Yes you do need to tell them of any changes like this. The new attack and stay in hospital count as treatment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure