Conflict in the Workplace

Comments

• CakeBaker
    CakeBaker Posts: 14 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Boris - they have been here about 18 months now. I supported and helped correct mistakes for the first six months or so. They took no notes in any of the training, even though I suggested they did as it was the 3rd/4th etc.. training session. After that time I notified them and my boss of the errors and that is how it has been ever since.
    Hedgehog - Yes, I really do feel undervalued. My boss seems to make an awful lot of exceptions for them. They also seem to have the ability to convince the boss that they are not doing anything wrong - it's so infuriating!
    BBH123 - I have pointed out mistakes quietly, retrained and retrained. As I said above - they take no notes during training. This person is making mistakes with payroll - it's not fair on the rest of the staff.
    Gettingther.... I am really trying to avoid 'it's a them or me' ultimatum as I don't like that as a course of action. It's more a 'how long do I keep training this person before I quit!' scenario.
  • CakeBaker wrote: »
    Gettingther.... I am really trying to avoid 'it's a them or me' ultimatum as I don't like that as a course of action. It's more a 'how long do I keep training this person before I quit!' scenario.

But unless your pay or bonus is somehow linked to their performance then, yes it's grating but why leave a job you like - especially as you'd reset the clock on YOUR employment rights.

How are you correcting the mistakes?

If you are doing them then what incentive are you giving that person in doing it right ? If they had the hassle of correcting it, you might find that they are more careful !
  • CakeBaker
    Gettingther.... No, nothing is linked to pay - other than when we are audited I feel it reflects badly on me.
    They are correcting their own mistakes once I have re-shown them what to do.
    I gave them a list of mistakes on the last payroll, they have corrected them and told our boss they did not exist - I took backups of the work, so I can prove what I was saying was correct.
    The payroll errors are to do with SSP and holiday pay. They have told the boss that they are also correct, but they are not. Something will need to be done quickly as some staff are owed a few hundred pounds and are unaware that they are entitled to it.
  • Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 August 2017 at 2:00PM
    Speaking bluntly, why is this your problem? If you aren't responsible for them then I'd say concentrate on your own work. Yes it must be incredibly frustrating, and it could cause the company problems but your boss is paid to be responsible for that person, not you.

Any errors that come up, just send them the bosses way. Why keep telling them how to correct it if they just keep repeating. Time to toughen up and step back - or you could find yourself actually being made responsible for them then the headache would really be yours!

Just to give you another perspective, what if they go to the boss and say you are constantly looking over their shoulder, jumping in before they can sort stuff and they are making mistakes because they feel under pressure from you and you are making out to be their supervisor. That might not end well for you - and you'd be amazed the excuses and lengths poor performers will go to to protect themselves.
  • zzzt
    zzzt Posts: 407 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I had a colleague join whose work was many levels below mine. I had to spend a lot of time correcting it or redoing his work (without telling anyone), because we were working on the same project and I didn't want my name on something below standards. I'm a bit of a perfectionist.

I complained to management how much of my time I was spending correcting this other person's work, and they said they would talk to him about it. Nothing changed. The problem wasn't something that can be fixed by telling him "stop being !!!!". He'll still be !!!! because that's who he is.

Eventually I got burned out. I was spending way too much of my time correcting his mistakes, and I should have been doing my own work in that time.

It eventually got to the point where I ceased giving a !!!!, so my own work suffered as well. I no longer try to deliver a perfect product that I'm proud of. If the end product will be !!!! anyway then I'm not going to break my back trying. I can't carry that guy.
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    And in the meantime get increasingly frustrated to the point where you wake up with anxiety pangs dreading going back to work ending in depression and/or other mental illnesses.

OP, start looking for another job, when you get it, move on. Its not like the company is going to sack the person causing the issues and some people are just not good a their job. Fact of life.

Ozzuk wrote: »
    Speaking bluntly, why is this your problem? If you aren't responsible for them then I'd say concentrate on your own work. Yes it must be incredibly frustrating, and it could cause the company problems but your boss is paid to be responsible for that person, not you.

Any errors that come up, just send them the bosses way. Why keep telling them how to correct it if they just keep repeating. Time to toughen up and step back - or you could find yourself actually being made responsible for them then the headache would really be yours!

Just to give you another perspective, what if they go to the boss and say you are constantly looking over their shoulder, jumping in before they can sort stuff and they are making mistakes because they feel under pressure from you and you are making out to be their supervisor. That might not end well for you - and you'd be amazed the excuses and lengths poor performers will go to to protect themselves.
  • CakeBaker
    Ozzuk - payroll was my responsibility for the last 8 years, so staff still come to me. I had build up an excellent relationship with them and they trust me. I redirect them to my colleague, but they still think I am in charge - no matter how many times I tell them that I am not!
    I have taken a step back - I now let the payroll go through, even though it's wrong (which is very hard for me to do). I then flag any errors afterwards.
    Zzzt - yes, it is very tiring carrying a colleague. I knew there would be some period of training and settling in, but this is ridiculous. I am a perfectionist, but I don't expect others to be. However, I expect a qualified accountant to be able to carry out basic payroll !
  • CakeBaker
    xapprenticex - yes, I am experiencing all of those things - which is why I am here! It is making me feel ill and that's not right.
    I really love my job and everyone else I work and meet with. I just feel so sad that one person's behaviour can jeopardise all that I have built.
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    There are plenty opportunities in payroll, especially if you are good at your job. Just a shame that your management are not willing to tackle it. TBH a qualified accountant looking for a job in payroll should have rang alarm bells!!
  • CakeBaker
    We are both qualified accountants and employed as such. Payroll is just a small part of the job, but they just can't get it right! I think they just put it on their CV to make it look better - they clearly don't have a clue. I've had to train as though they were a complete novice.
    I don't have time to look at what else they are messing up - it's too scary to think about!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure