Child Tax Credit Overpayment

Hi,

Does anyone know if and how I can view communications with HMRC, i.e. submitted notifications etc via their online portal with HMRC?

I started a new job last year March and advised HMRC about change in circumstances online in July 16 and also over the phone (not certain when). I have now received a notice following the confirmation of Tax credits saying that they overpaid me, as I didn't advise them about the change in circumstances at the time.

I have spoken to them and the advisor says he has no note of me telling them:mad:

Any suggestions or guidance on this as not only have we lost the tax credits we are also being asked to pay them back which is a double whammy financially that we cannot afford.

Many thanks

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    there is a board on here for benefits including tax credits (this one if for income tax)
    Tax Credits are initially based on the previous years income and this amount will not change unless your income is + or - £2.5k of that number.
    When you advised your new income for the tax year, did you then receive an amended award notice incorporating the changes?
    For changes reported online you should have received an acknowledgement, did you save this?
    http://revenuebenefits.org.uk/tax-credits/guidance/how-do-tax-credits-work/changes-of-circumstances/how-to-notify-changes/
  • PJC2017
    PJC2017 Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 July 2017 at 3:06PM
    Hi Caz, thanks for your reply.

I looked through but couldnt see one for benefits etc. Admins can you move my post?

My income increased due to my self employment struggling so low SE income and then a higher paid PAYE job. I advised HMRC about having a new child as well as increased income, I received an amended award which showed my son but it still referred to the 2015/16 tax year. Looking at it now it should have meant another call but even the wording says its based on 2015/16 and that increase in income wont have an affect until next year (i.e. after April 2017).

I usually keep records and have a hand written note with date and "advised of son and of new job" written on it, but I cant find an email confirmation for either. I also recall a phone call with HMRC where I discussed 2015/16 income and also estimated 2016/17 income where they confirmed an estimated income and I was told that they receive the figure directly from the employer as it's PAYE so I dont need to worry about that. But now they have no record of that or the conversation!

UPDATE: I've found two letters from them both amended tax credit awards stating Why are we writing to you?
    "Thank you for telling us your circumstances have changed. There has been a change affecting the children or young people included in your award. Your work circumstances have changed" The second letter almost a month earlier states "Your circumstances have changed. Your income or benefits have changed"

These would be their responses to me advising them of the changes, but it appears they didnt action it.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,059 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    What income is shown on these award notices?

Does this agree with the estimate you gave them when you phoned them?
  • PJC2017
    The amount shown is the 2015/16 actual and not the estimated 2016/17. It also says that if your income has increased then it doesn't normally affect the current year but may affect the following year i.e. from April 2017 onwards.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    if you earn up to £2,500 extra then there is no impact. If you earn more than £2,500 more than the previous year (award value) then it does
  • PJC2017
    That's the bit I didn't know but I did advise them of the changes. Now it appears they amended the amount to include my son but not for my salary change.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure