The Last Castle

Options
A mortgage free fraud here :)
As per usual I'm getting ahead of myself, we don't currently have a mortgage as we have only just started looking for the house.
When I was clearing debt I found my debt free diary was great for keeping my eye on the prize.
I'm trying for the mother of prizes this time, retirement well at least the option of it, and the only way this is achievable is by removing our housing costs.

Like most we have an amazing list of expectations for our final home, house not to rural for our dotage, and massive amount of available parking & Central heating ( the romance of only a woodstove for heating is now lost to me forever) all for a budget of 150K in Cornwall :rotfl:
It is doable but may take a while, so while I leave the boring stuff like trawling property ads and arranging viewings to the husband. I'm going to work on getting as much as I can put aside to reduce our mortgage requirement in the first place. As we are giving ourselves 10 year's max to get a house paid off, all while only earning a minimum wage income.

Comments

• EatingTheElephant
    Options
    Hello and welcome to mfw :)

Have you got any possible contenders lined up for your last castle?
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    We do, but the vendor is in no hurry and its a bit overpriced but not unrealistically, so could be it just a add on for what she really wanting or she be hanging on for the list price.
    We are with the broker next week as our AIP was done with a loan in place, which is now paid off, but the budget remains the same regardless.
  • tori.k
    Options
    Well we had a viewing cancel today, as part of an offer the vendor excepted, I don't perticularly mind as it was one that appealed to Dods more than me.
    We're going to make an offer on the house that suits us well, with a price that brings it in line with the house prices sold in the same street, it's a respectable offer far from cheeky but I'm half expecting to be rejected.
    I know that Dods would like to up the budget and max out our mortgage availability that isn't going to happen, I'm tired now and need to drop my working hours.
  • michelle09
    michelle09 Posts: 912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good luck! If I learned anything through buying a home it was to put your list of requirements in order because you will be expected to compromise on 90% of them. Possibly not in Cornwall, but we certainly did in London.

I got my two bathrooms and 0.1 mile walk to the underground which were my big dealbreakers.

Ten years is definitely an impressive target - I hope it goes well!
  • tori.k
    Options
    Parking is oddly our main issue we have our grown youngest still at home, we all work in different town's so 3 cars to find parking for, our budget realistically runs to terraced, semi detached at best, have no issues parking on road but it actually been quite hard to find house's with enough road or other wise. Other than that the only non compromise is Central heating I'd be happy in cardboard box if I don't have to cut firewood anymore. :)
  • michelle09
    michelle09 Posts: 912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yeah, three cars is a lot! We're in a close of terraced houses with one assigned parking space each but it doesn't seem to stop both our neighbours having 2/3 cars for the visitors bays.

Wow - do you not have central heating right now?
  • tori.k
    Options
    Nope just a beast of a woodstove ( no back boiler) and lots of jumpers, we only had a portable gas fire for the first twelve years in our first home, finally saved enough to have oil central heating installed then moved out two year's later,but those two years were the best :). There is a plus side bill are low as none of us like it too hot.

My work hours are in till October are starting this week. Like most in Cornwall or anywhere along the coast my work is subject to seasonal variation, I lose 6.5 hours pretty much from now until March next year in my main job,but my second job is in full swing and I gain 8 hours a week there until October half term. We are only using my main job figure towards the mortgage application which is just shy of 13k a year, ( excluding overtime) my second job gives me just shy of an additional 5k a year.
    We have spent the last 18 months living off the Dods wages and using mine to clear our debts and get some savings behind us, we been living pretty well on the 14.5K he brings home PA. This gives us the opportunity to put almost £1500 a month in savings/off a mortgage which gives us our ten years timeline. It pretty much impossible for us to get a mortgage that would allow that kind of overpayment so we will overpay what we can then a lump sum at remortgage opportunities.
    A woman with a plan is pretty dangerous :) but it's the only way I can drop my working hours.
  • tori.k
    Options
    Well got the ball rolling with the broker DIP is in place, we have another viewing on Monday for our 19 year old son still at home to have a look and as much as his opinion doesn't really matter on the property, it's a great opportunity for him to learn the process especially since he adamant that he is buying himself over renting like his brothers did when they left home.

So should find out next week if we are about to take on the biggest debt of our lives. I'm a massive wuss when it comes to such large numbers owing, so can only focus on £1500 at a time or I'd never sleep at night.
    It's going to be a long weekend probably good job I'm working.
  • tori.k
    Options
    Well we found the house, offer excepted so when all the I are dotted and the T crossed we are the not so proud owners of a £113000 debt+ interest.
    There is a bit of work to do, mostly wants we are determined that no credit other than the mortgage will be involved so it will be the one room at a time slog.
    Like most we can repay 10% without fees but have to clarify this with the lender not totally sure how the overpayment works within a fixed term.but regardless any savings can be paid off at the end of the two year fix or remortgage, but I will concentrate on 1% at a time I'm going to be free of this in a hundred payments come ell or high water I've decided, I don't do debt well and I like my sleep :)
  • Viking_mfw
    Viking_mfw Posts: 579 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Congratulations on finding your castle :) now for the painful wait (we're in the sane situation). I'm particularly enjoying the in law questions about do we have a predicted moving date yet... well I could predict but it wouldn't be based on anything at all!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure