Financial Help For Blind Person

Options

Comments

• retrogamer666
    retrogamer666 Posts: 14 Forumite
    edited 20 February 2013 at 10:58PM
    Options
    yes we have considered care allowance and it is something we definetly plan on applying for however i am only newly registered blind, before i was registered sight impaired but my sight got worse, now tht i am registered blind i will be able to apply for higher rate DLA and my wife should also get carers allowance but s of right nowi am only on the lowest rate of DLA which means she cannot apply for carers allowance because i have to be on at least the middle rate for her to get it.

Like i said before i have to wait at least 6 months to be issued with some kind of social worker to help me get all of these benefits, i have been told i can apply on my own however i was also told i would stand a better chance of getting the benefits if i let the social worker help me

Other than being blind i dont really have a "condition"
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    i have been registered blind for 17 years and only get low rate care.
    i cant see that you would have any grounds for high rate, unless you have another debilitating condition.

your wife cannot get carers allowance if she earns more than £100 a wek
  • princessdon
    Options
    nannytone wrote: »
    the partner only needs to earn £111 a week to make tou ineligable for income support.

what condition do you have?
    What if they claim carers?

Full income support plus £100 pw earnings and mortgage paid.
  • retrogamer666
    Options
    well i can assure u if ur sight is below a certain volume if thats even the right word you are entitled to a highr rate DLA and iv had the letters through to prove that however i am waiting to be assigned a social worker and then i will hopefully stand a better chance of getting the benefits
  • Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    Options
    we put down a deposit of around the 8 grand mark can't remember the exact figures off the top of my head.

and no i cant work my vision is too poor

Sorry to be repetitive but many people who are partially sighted (including many with no sight whatsoever) work in a variety of careers, . At such a young age, you need to be concentrating on retraining for a suitable job/career or finding out about ways in which you can carry on using your existing skills with support and adaptations.
  • princessdon
    Options
    What if they claim carers?

Full income support plus £100 pw earnings and mortgage paid.

Ok low rate - apologies low rate.

So because they own their home there is nothing. SH would give £100 pw of course.
  • nannytone_2
    Options
    they will find it difficult moving onto middle rate care. if he has only recently deteriorated enough to be registered blind, then its quiye possible that he still has a reasonable amount of sight ( for a blind person!)
  • princessdon
    Options
    yes we have considered care allowance and it is something we definetly plan on applying for however i am only newly registered blind, before i was registered sight impaired but my sight got worse, now tht i am registered blind i will be able to apply for higher rate DLA and my wife should also get carers allowance but s of right nowi am only on the lowest rate of DLA which means she cannot apply for carers allowance because i have to be on at least the middle rate for her to get it.

Like i said before i have to wait at least 6 months to be issued with some kind of social worker to help me get all of these benefits, i have been told i can apply on my own however i was also told i would stand a better chance of getting the benefits if i let the social worker help me

Other than being blind i dont really have a "condition"

Your diagnosis is very new?

Will it change or deteriorate to get higher rate
  • retrogamer666
    Options
    Ok low rate - apologies low rate.

So because they own their home there is nothing. SH would give £100 pw of course.

Whats SH ??

I Have been told tha my sight will not get better it will only get worse with time
  • nannytone_2
    Options
    what is your acuity? and how many degrees of visual field?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure