PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS Daily Thread - Sunday 13th December

Money_saving_Diva_2
Money_saving_Diva_2 Posts: 2,914 Forumite
edited 13 December 2009 at 6:31AM in Old style MoneySaving
HSsnowmen.gif Hi there! This is the Daily Thread for Sunday 13th December. It is an 'Over the garden fence' type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!
As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or slow internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred.
Please do not start a new Daily Thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two Dailys' live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new Daily Thread after they get up in the morning.
Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “Hi everyone, hope you are all well” type start is just as good.

HSlights.gifMorning OS friends.

Christmas QOTD: 'Christmas is not as much about opening our presents as opening our hearts.' ~ Janice Maeditere
Pipkin - thankyou.gifHope you had a good time in Stratford.
Curlytop - sooo glad I remembered the date correctly and that you had a lovely day. I would like to see ‘Nativity’ too, it looks very funny.
Noahs - good to see you posting again hon
jc - hope you enjoyed your day of movies and chocolate, it sounds lovely
sistercas- My career was as a Counsellor and Life Coach, but I loved singing and kind of fell into gigging after I won a couple of competitions. And everyone is special honey, as N9eav said.
Janie - big hugs.gifhoney, hope you and your husband can talk things through.
Bitsy - I have very little card making equipment - craft knives and a cutting mat are about the limit of my speciality items.. Oh and glue dots. Can't live without glue dots and 3d foam.
bargain - lovely scarf hon! And glad to be an inspiration for burger and chips giggle.gif
Taplady - Sorry to hear about your husbands friend, what sad news. I have to admit on the subject of SCD that I found that free dancing realllly dull. Much too acrobatic for me, not sexy, not sensual and definitely not dancing.. (and 'I am unanimous in that' - to quote the great Mrs Slocumbe :rotfl:)
Tru - you poor thing, comforting.gif Everything breaks at the same time doesn't it? (Hope the rule of three doesn't apply here)
Jackie - glad you had a nice time with your friends.

I haven't heard from Tristan but hoping he is getting stronger. I know he will contact me on Monday somehow, he has never missed my birthday yet.

xmastree.gif Thank you for all the kind comments about my cards.. Tristans and also the corset one is probably the most typical of my style. I always say my cards look really good from a distance giggle.gif

xmastree.gifWe have a lovely free range chicken for dinner today, with YS carrot batons which were 10p and sprouts and green beans, together with my OHs world famous roasties. I have made a crumble for dessert. We tend to have a brunch on a Sunday and I suspect from the contents of the fridge that it will be bacon sandwiches with perhaps a fried egg thrown in.

xmastree.gif Spent all day yesterday putting together a Christmas box for my friend. She is coming down for a meal on Tuesday and we are swapping gifts then as I will not see her again til January. She only lives 10 mins up the road but she and her partner have extended families, so they are pretty busy over Christmas. It's her first christmas without her dad, so she is keeping busy. I put together a girly treats box for her.

Ok, so I hope everyones weekend starts well, and that anyone feeling poorly feels better soon. With love and light for all.

HSxmashug2.gif
Diva.xHSlights.gif
To be frugal, you need to spend money wisely, simply spending less is not enough.
If you can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best...
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.

Comments

• Good morning, MSD and everyone that follows. Wow, it's an early one for me today, and it's not a weekday. DH woke up and couldn't sleep, and when I find out that worries me that something is wrong :( So I instantly wake up and can't get back off. At least the net is up today and I can do a few bits and pieces online.

I finally finished my cross stitch project on Friday, so I spent a lot of yesterday sorting through my threads and putting the new ones in place for a new project. This one is only a bookmark, but it'll take a while to do as it looks quite complicated. Worth it though.

Yesterday I made loads of party food from scratch and feel quite good about it - I just wish I could stop myself from eating it! Some has gone into the freezer, but the rest has gone into the fridge where I'll probably pick at it. I just wondered if I could make those little toad in the holes quite simply, and they are quite easy to do.

Right, time for a little bit of a catch up on here, and then I'll do some sewing.

Kitchenbunny xx
    Trying for daily wins, and a little security in an insecure world.
  • lisa26_2
    lisa26_2 Posts: 2,100 Forumite
    Morning! I've not posted on this thread before but I just thought I'd say a quick hello. I'm at work at the minute......wishing the last hour of my 12 hour nightshift would go a bit quicker!!! I'm so looking forward to cuddling up under my super thick duvet for a few hours!!!

Today when I get up I'm going to visit my parents and brother. Will be having dinner and tea there too so a cheap day for me today! Having an evening in with OH when he finishes work tonight and planning some low cost activities for our days off.....last week we went to see seals on a local beach, this week it will probably be walking somewhere but we also need to finish off some christmas shopping.

Reading the posts on here has reminded me its about time I got my knitting back out, only trouble is I've never done it that much so I have to concentrate hard so if I want to watch something on TV I can't do both!!

Hope everyone has a good day.
  • N9eav
    N9eav Posts: 4,742 Forumite
    Morning peoples.

Cold and frosty today and set to contunue :D Much better than rain and mud.

OH did well in Truro singing carols withe the band. Her fingers were cold really cold playing the guitar though...

Church today and then someones house for lunch followed by carol service. Busy old day, but apart from fuel I should avoid spending money.

Lit the fire last night and watched Scrooge.. very festive.

Have a good day
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    musicnote.gif.jpg
    Ding dong merrily on high,
    In heav'n the bells are ringing:
    Ding dong! verily the sky
    Is riv'n with angel singing.
    Gloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooria, (lol)

Hosanna in excelsis! :xmassmile

Morning :santa2: Hi Lisa :hello:
    In my calendar today - a cracker :snow_grin
    I usually put the decs up two saturdays before Christmas, so they should've been done yesterday. They're still in the loft :rolleyes:

We were rescued yesterday - mr tru's boss lent us two heaters, and a friend called round with another one :T I turned them all on and sat there til I thought I'd melt. It was bliss :D Found out that mr tru is being paid on the 18th instead of the 31st, just as well cos it's costing us just under £300 to fix the boiler (ie. all my Christmas money :rolleyes: ).

So today I'll be tinseling :D Might have some mulled wine, and I have some iced mince pies that need testing...............................
    Bulletproof
  • Morning all
    Tree's up & decorated & I finally found the perfect gift for DD2, I spend as little as possible, but try to find something really appropriate & I found her a fridge magnate for £8, I can't tell you what it says, it's far too rude, lol, but she'll love it. I found an equally appropriate & equally rude one for my youngest DS too.
    More cleaning, cooking & washing today, it never ends.
    Have a great day everyone.
    Hugs Hester

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
  • bargainbird
    bargainbird Posts: 3,771 Forumite
    Morning,

Up and about early, DS been coughing all night, might ring Newdoc for them to check his chest, its one of those mucussy ones sorry if TMI.

Thanks for the carol tru :D.

nothing to report today :o, the usual housewifery duties

xx
    You know your getting old when you
    go to the pub sit outside
    and admire the hanging basket :cool:
    Is officially 48% tight :D
  • Bitsy_Beans
    Bitsy_Beans Posts: 9,640 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Morning everyone.
    Not much going on today. My parents are visiting friends who live in Somerset (on the edge of the Quantocks lucky them!) so I'm on dog sitting duty all day. It's easier to babysit them in their own home (more room etc) so shan't get much done today.
    DD is bit better, she slept through the lights at Stratford but think DS got a kick out of them. He's being a total PITA this morning whinging his head off. think I might leave the kids here with H and I'll go and baby sit the dogs on my own ;)
    Have got to go food shopping today, out of milk and fruit etc. I want to write up some of the receipes from some chocolate cooking books my neighbour lent me. I think that will be my day done if I factor in the kids :rotfl:

Tru - your carols/Christmas songs make me feel soooooooo festive. Oops must go and do the advent calendar......

Diva - Hope you speak to Tris tomorrow and I really hope your mum and nephews send you a card xxx

Bargainbird - Hope your DS is feeling better soon xx

Lisa - welcome :j My mum's one of those knitters who can click clack away whilst nattering, watching TV etc. She's tried to teach me before to knit but I just can't do it :o

Have a good day OS or not. Hugs to those that need them.
    I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife :D Louise Brooks
    All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.
    Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Morning all,

Bright and sunny here, but no frost, shame, cos I lke it frosty, need to strip the beds today and re make them, and get at least one of them washed and on the line. There is loads of washing hanging on the airer and rads, so need to put that all away.

Dinner today is a cottage pie, I made the base ages ago and have had it in the freezer, so just some mash and veg to do, dd will have a veggie cottage pie hm and also in the freezer. I do miss my roast on a sunday, but I am trying to empty the freezer either in preperation for the move or for Christmas, and also i am not going to try and not have a roast now before Xmas, and then the dinner will be extra special.

Got a load more packing done yesterday, basically we have packed everything that is not vital for the next few weeks, dd's room still needs doing, but she had terrible ear ache yesterday, so will get that done during the week.

DD is off out with her dad today, so OH and I will get out for a nice long walk, it seems like weeks since we had a proper one, what with the rain and packing etc, so I will make up sandwiches and a flask and off we go.

Tru, my tree is not up either, I normally put it up on about the 18th, I don't like it up too early, but I need to get a move date before I put it up. Dont want to be packing it all away again :rolleyes:

Have good days all xx
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 13 December 2009 at 10:30AM
    morning all

diva i meant to say yesterday that your cards are lovely :T, enjoy your friends visit on Tuesday

bargainbird hope DS is improving, hows your tooth?

Lisa26 welcome! enjoy your sleep after that long nightshift ( so glad I dont do those anymore)

Tru glad you are warm again, hope its not too expensive for repairs

slept really well last night for a change , so I've been up and stripped the beds ( all except DD2 who is still zonked :rolleyes:) cleaned the kitchen, need to have a shower and get ready

want to have a good declutter of the living room today

have a good day everyone

(((hugs))) to all that need

((hugs)) special one for PenPin

edited to say : redruby enjoy your walk, I find it really hard to motivate DH to get off his bum to go walking , I love it but dont like going on my own
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 December 2009 at 10:39AM
    Good morning!:hello: I didn't get around to posting again yesterday :o

Thanks for the carol, tru - that's the one we always sing to end Midnight Mass! My fave is "O Little Town of Bethlehem", tho I'm not entirely sure why.

Diva - Hope you hear from Tris xx

Welcome Lisa :hello:

I finally started writing my cards yesterday - I'd only sent one before that,as it was for abroad. I decided the best thing was to do the other two overseas ones, and then write the ones for people we'd already received one from, making a list of who they are as I went :D so I've done 15, still probably got about the same number again that will need to go by post, and then ones for my neighbours, and friends from church. It took quite a while as most of them were ones which needed a note written inside :rolleyes: but I'm glad those are done as I usually put them off til last and end up having to put 1st class stamps on them :p

The tree's not done yet - it's down from the loft and DS was going to get the tree decs down yesterday but then had to go to work unexpectedly. Shame, as I was really in the mood to do the tree, but I did a load of washing up instead which was more useful!

CRANKY - Loved the pic of Pixel in the tree - she'll be very peeved when you put it away again :rotfl:

Last night's dinner was a recipe from the Dairy All Year Round Cookbook. I'd never tried a recipe from it before (just liked the pictures :o:D) but made this as I already had most of the ingredients. Marinated Pork and peppers. It was Delish! The marinade consisted of tomato ketchup, Worcester sauce, Soy sauce, clear honey, and a bit of English mustard. It was an unopened tin of mustard powder which I noticed had a best before date of sometime in 2007 :o I obviously bought it when I was first really getting interested on cooking as fun, IYSWIM, and was building up my storecupboard! The pork melted in the mouth. The only "dairy" aspect in this particular recipe was frying the pork strips in butter, and DH isn't meant to have much butter so I just used oil instead. Will definitely make that again!

Tonight's dinner is gammon, mash and cabbage, so a bit less interesting but will be tasty.

((((HUGS))))to all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport