Think I forgot my road tax, how do I check?

Options
13»

Comments

• applepicker
    Options
    Johno100 wrote: »
    And how about the address on your V5c (AKA Log book) did you get the address changed on that?

Errrrrr....perhaps pay the tax now.

Where? Got the link?
  • applepicker
    Options
    Just googled change my car tax and said-

Take your log book to a Post Office that deals with vehicle tax. You can tax your vehicle and change your details at the same time.

So will do this and explain to the Post Office about the problem of it being late and why they must be the best people to sort all this out?
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    JohnM5206 wrote: »
    It is on the way back though:
    Road tax is back – Chancellor announces Vehicle Excise Duty reforms that will see money raised reserved for road improvements

Still be called VED though and still based on car pollution levels so the argument still won't wash against cyclists - plus the way I read it, they're talking about using it as a fund for major road networks (i.e. motorways)
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,377 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think the tax form shows if there is any gap between last tax expiring and new tax starting, If there is you have to put in a SORN number. I wouldn't let me 'back tax' mine I remember that.
    If you go into the post office and explain it was a mistake you are in affect admitting to a crime. It is an offense to have a vehicle either not taxed or on a SORN.
    It is possible I had forgotten for 3 months+ about, I remember getting the reminder and I also remembered paying it at the post office. Unfortunately I remembered paying wife's car tax and not mine. I would willingly pay back tax but not some extortionate fine.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just googled change my car tax and said-

Take your log book to a Post Office that deals with vehicle tax. You can tax your vehicle and change your details at the same time.

So will do this and explain to the Post Office about the problem of it being late and why they must be the best people to sort all this out?

No need to make it so difficult. You can change the address online and then you can tax your car online. Considering it was only due 8 days ago you probably won't have a problem.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think the tax form shows if there is any gap between last tax expiring and new tax starting, If there is you have to put in a SORN number. I wouldn't let me 'back tax' mine I remember that.
    If you go into the post office and explain it was a mistake you are in affect admitting to a crime. It is an offense to have a vehicle either not taxed or on a SORN.
    It is possible I had forgotten for 3 months+ about, I remember getting the reminder and I also remembered paying it at the post office. Unfortunately I remembered paying wife's car tax and not mine. I would willingly pay back tax but not some extortionate fine.

I think people should be fined because otherwise it will encourage people to try and chance it to see if they can get away without paying it if all they have to do is pay the back tax. Plus I wouldn't call the fines extortionate 10 times the yearly cost of tax is a good incentive to make sure it is paid!.
    There really is no excuse to not pay it when if your a forgetful person you can setup a monthly, 6 monthly or yearly direct debit so you won't need to remember!.
  • rich13348
    rich13348 Posts: 840 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 9 October 2016 at 10:31PM
    Options
    is that the green form thingee that comes with your licence? Ok will change that. And what's the link to pay the tax online? Also, can't I just go to post office and pay it with my licence or maybe go to old address and find the letter if it's still there?

No dear that's your driving licence.

Your log book also known as your V5c will have that in a circle in the top right hand corner. The form will most likely have a red banner at the top and your car reg in the middle.
    There is a long 11 digit number on the front page that you need to use to tax your car.

Although as some have said you may struggle as the DVLA does not like problems and expects everyone to either tax or SORN their car and fails when you try and tax after period of no tax or no sorn.

PO is best bet but find your log book not your paper counterpart licence which by the way is no longer needed and has no legal status as they were abolished on 8 June 2015
  • applepicker
    Options
    rich13348 wrote: »
    No dear that's your driving licence.

Your log book also known as your V5c will have that in a circle in the top right hand corner. The form will most likely have a red banner at the top and your car reg in the middle.
    There is a long 11 digit number on the front page that you need to use to tax your car.

Although as some have said you may struggle as the DVLA does not like problems and expects everyone to either tax or SORN their car and fails when you try and tax after period of no tax or no sorn.

PO is best bet but find your log book not your paper counterpart licence which by the way is no longer needed and has no legal status as they were abolished on 8 June 2015

Ok so I am off to the post office to ask them what to do and get the V5 log book updated
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ok so I am off to the post office to ask them what to do and get the V5 log book updated

You could have fixed this problem on-line.

Please come back and let us know what happened at the PO.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    [QUOTE=applepicker;71427660_the_sticker_in_the_dashboard_isn't_used_anymore_so_difficult_to_remember.[/QUOTE]

What about mot?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport