OU Students Past, Present and Future

Comments

• SuziQ
    SuziQ Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    Thanks bestpud, how do I find the facebook page? I have had nothing from the OU since I returned my agreement last week (unfortunately it arrived whilst I was in Spain with my DD getting her settled into Uni, I'm luck I didn't go for 2 weeks as I would have missed the deadline!
    Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it!
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279
    Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    Is anyone doing Y159 - Openings - Introduction to Management ? xx
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • juno
    juno Posts: 6,553
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    mum2one wrote: »
    Is anyone doing Y159 - Openings - Introduction to Management ? xx
    I did that as my first course. I quite enjoyed it. It introduces you to management techniques but also makes you consider what "management" actually is. You don't have to be working to do the course, although it helps if you have some experience of work, voluntary work, or attend a club or similar.

I used some of the concepts from this course when I had the interview for my current job last year. My manager seemed impressed!
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279
    Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    juno wrote: »
    I did that as my first course. I quite enjoyed it. It introduces you to management techniques but also makes you consider what "management" actually is. You don't have to be working to do the course, although it helps if you have some experience of work, voluntary work, or attend a club or similar.

I used some of the concepts from this course when I had the interview for my current job last year. My manager seemed impressed!

Your a star, just finishing BU130, just don't like the course, but started the course book and am flying through it. x
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • juno
    juno Posts: 6,553
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    mum2one wrote: »
    Your a star, just finishing BU130, just don't like the course, but started the course book and am flying through it. x
    I hated BU130 and dropped it! I changed my degree plan, though, and luckily I didn't need BU130 for it!

Some of the topics covered in Y159 are general, like the work on time management. Other bits are theoretical and whilst they are nice they are not relevant to real life. Maslow's hierarchy of needs is an example of this - whilst everybody follows this you don't know you're doing it and once you've learnt about it it doesn't change anything.
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• xBuNn
    xBuNn Posts: 264 Forumite
    Is there any way courses can be funded on a grant basis from the OU if I already have studied and obtained a mainstream degree from a UK University? It would be on the basis of applying under income assessed funding.

I would be looking at studying some starter courses, in particular; BD131.
    Member #120 £2012 in 2012 - £297.74/£2012 14.79%

2012 Competition Wins [1]: Pair of flights to a European Destination
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    SuziQ wrote: »
    Thanks bestpud, how do I find the facebook page? I have had nothing from the OU since I returned my agreement last week (unfortunately it arrived whilst I was in Spain with my DD getting her settled into Uni, I'm luck I didn't go for 2 weeks as I would have missed the deadline!

Hope this works:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=124778407537514

Feel free to pm if you want to know who I am on there. :)

Your materials shouldn't be long now. Have you been on the student homepage as it puts the despatch date on there.

You can register over the phone but they don't tell you that in the letters. If you want to speed things up, you can call and they will do it over the phone even though you've sent back the agreement. :)
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    xBuNn wrote: »
    Is there any way courses can be funded on a grant basis from the OU if I already have studied and obtained a mainstream degree from a UK University? It would be on the basis of applying under income assessed funding.

I would be looking at studying some starter courses, in particular; BD131.

There is some discretionary funding available but obviously it's not guaranteed and not everyone will be eligible.

Other option is you can use Tesco CC vouchers for level one courses.
  • SuziQ
    SuziQ Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    Your materials shouldn't be long now. Have you been on the student homepage as it puts the despatch date on there.

You can register over the phone but they don't tell you that in the letters. If you want to speed things up, you can call and they will do it over the phone even though you've sent back the agreement. :)

Thanks once again, bestpud! Unfortunately I haven't been able to get onoine at all-it's refusing my PI number and I have had an automated response from them saying it will take another 4 days to answer my email. I have had no 'phone this week as BT have a fault on my line and I have no idea when they will repair it ut am going to ring as soon as I am back online. I went on the facebook age and felt like the unpopular girl at school, as everyone seems to know what they are doing/have their packs and are using words that sound like a foreign language to me :(. I am pm'ing you about usernames ;)
    Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it!
  • BeenieCat
    BeenieCat Posts: 6,567
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    My computer grant is only £135 i was told it would be £265 :( So £400 towards a new computer. :) (rather than £520)

Wish i'd held back before planning which one i was getting (£510)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure